PDA

View Full Version : Euroreef RS80 - problem. please help

bellorusha
05/29/2007, 12:04 PM
A week ago I bought RS80 euroreef and I still can't make it work. The problem is that this skimmer is too sensitive to level of water.

When I set the correct foam level and I see that foam is comming up good, it works maybe for 4-6 hours and then level in my sump dropping a littile bit (I'm loosing about 1gal. a day) and the foam level dropping too so it stops skimming.

Even when put my hand in the tank, the skimmer are overflowing becuase level of the water raised a little. I had CSS skimmer before for a year and did not have this problem.

Any help please.

PrangeWay
05/29/2007, 01:02 PM
Auto-Topoff. All decent sump skimmers will have this problem.

Or put it behind a level plate where the water level is constant.

PW

bellorusha
05/29/2007, 01:22 PM
so this is normal and I have to find a way to maintaing a level?
god this is hard

Reef Sponger
05/29/2007, 02:04 PM
Yep, in sump non-recirculating skimmers are sensitive to sump waterlevel changes. Before most people realized it, many would critize good skimmers like ER on how frustrating they are to dial in. Everytime time your sump waterlevel changes, even 1/2", you will need to readjust your skimmer again. It's a total PITA. So, many owners would slam the ER skimmers because they are anything but a "set it and forget it" type of skimmer. The problem was their sump waterlevel needed a fix to get it constant.

You have 2 options that works best for most people:
1. Install a partition just for the skimmer, so the water level is stable in the skimmer compartment
2. Used a auto-topoff unit to keep the sump waterlevel constant

Recirculating skimmers are immune to any sump waterlevel changes.

PiscesLou
05/29/2007, 02:21 PM
I would just give it some time to break in. it took me almost a month to finally have it "dialed in"and once it is dialed in youll notice a huge differance form the css(which i also owned b4 i got my ER)
as stated b4, just keep the water level to about 6 to 8 in.
I have my "foam level" about 1in lower than whats stated on the manual. HTH

bellorusha
05/29/2007, 02:24 PM
i'm gonna have to rebuild my sump then

thanks guys, because I started to think that this a defective one.

schneijt
05/29/2007, 03:04 PM
My promo RS-80 took forever to break in really well, but I have minimal trouble with water level changes. I don't use an ATO, so my sump level goes up or down as much as 1.5" between fillings sometimes. My skimmer just keeps humming along. I have it set for a little bit wetter skimming at maximum water height, and as the sump level drops during the day between manual top-offs, the skimmer skims a bit drier. I know an ATO or baffles (I use no baffles in my sump) would make my skimmer more consistent, but it works just fine the way I have things set up right now.

So, give it some time before doing anything too drastic. New skimmers can take as long as a month or more to be truly broken in. Go slow and it'll figure itself out.

-Joe

flyyyguy
05/29/2007, 03:14 PM
Like already said, set a "over" baffle in your sump high enough so that the water level NEVER changes in the skimmer section. If you dont it will vary all the time with the water level broken in or not.

Justin James
05/29/2007, 03:27 PM
You should have your sump baffled anyways. Here is a photo of mine and I have no problems what so ever.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/bambooshark/100_1015.jpg

flyyyguy
05/29/2007, 03:40 PM
I dont see how those baffles you pictured are going to keep the water level exactly the same in the skimmer section.

Having one of your "over" baffles a inch or two taller than the rest will make it never vary even a little bit in the skimmer chamber

irvin3
05/29/2007, 03:49 PM
a friend of mine had the same problem. called euro reef. it was the way he put es-80 together . try to call them.

EuroReef Tec1
05/29/2007, 04:11 PM
I think its the sump

shag26272
05/29/2007, 04:16 PM
agreed, 1 day of evaporation will make it stop skimming, Use ATO it will be one of the best things you can buy for your tank

sjm817
05/29/2007, 04:51 PM
If you want to do something quick, put the skimmer and the drain in a container that fits in the sump. This will act as your baffle and keep the water level consistent.

EuroReef Tec1
05/29/2007, 05:06 PM
sjm: never heard of that before! Good call