PDA

View Full Version : Copper Levels

Sparty00
05/29/2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Everyone.

What are the recommended levels of Copper for treating new fish that you want to quarrantine before going into your display tank?

What are the levels for the treatment of disease such as Ich?

Thanks !!!

Nano Chris
05/30/2007, 06:14 AM
I would just qt the fish, i wouldn't treat it for something it may not have such as Ich because it has gone threw enough stress as it is getting it into QT.

If it came down to it, i wouldn't use copper, i would do hypo.

papagimp
05/30/2007, 08:23 AM
I agree 100% with Criminal. There are better products to use for preventative care than copper medications. And if ich were the case, I'd go hypo instead.

laserjim
05/30/2007, 09:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10039680#post10039680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sparty00
Hi Everyone.

What are the recommended levels of Copper for treating new fish that you want to quarrantine before going into your display tank?

What are the levels for the treatment of disease such as Ich?

Thanks !!!

Anyone know?

Sparty00
05/30/2007, 10:32 AM
ok. What are the other preventative measures, if it is hypo...What is it, and can you tell me how to use hypo treatement?

Also do you know what the levels of copper are?

papagimp
05/30/2007, 10:54 AM
The levels of copper will be written on the actual product being used, follow exactly as specified on the particular product in question. ANY copper showing up on a copper test is a bad so sticking with the instruction is the best bet. (I remember on my AP test kit for copper, the recommended dosage and levels per instruction on the product I had used wound up being the minimal reading available on the color chart,) Also, when using copper treatments, it's important to maintaine the appropriate copper levels, too much will kill livestock, not enough renders it useless as a means to fight parasites and basically amounts to you wasting your time and having to start over to be 100% certain to the effectiveness of the treatment.

As for hypo, or hyposalinity treatment, it's a simple a matter of adjusting the salinity down to about 1.009, slowly over the course of a few days (I took a week adjusting it down) and then procede to let your fish sit for 4-6 weeks during treatment, then slowly raise the salinity back up to specs (I use 1.026, but raise it back to where you keep it at) Also, this is importaant, hypo should only be performed in a QT tank, not in the display tank. Unless there are absolutly no inverst in the tank or other livestock you wouldn't want to kill off, any live rock or sand in the tank and I probably wouldn't try it either. The hyposalinity treatment kills of certain parasites rather effectively and naturally. I hear that certain fish should not be treated this way due to super sensitivity to salinity that low, but I hear others claim they use it on any and all fish, so a little more of your own research may be in order here. Plenty of information out on the net about this procedure as well. Hope that helps some.