PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates for a Purple Tang

rachelcb80
05/30/2007, 08:13 AM
I know the ideal way to do things is to introduce tangs together but it didn't work so that I could get two at the same time. I really, REALLY wanted a PT from the start and when my LFS finally got some in I had to grab one (they haven't had any since). I'd really like to have another bigger fish that swims out and about like my PT but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put another in now that he's established. I tried getting a CBB last week thinking the PT wouldn't care about a different species but he chased the Butterfly all over and kept the poor thing stuck in a corner. I took the CBB back to the fish store. I'm wondering if a more assertive fish would do okay or if I'm just SOL on getting another tang. He doesn't bother the other fish in the tank at all and I've added other fish since he's been in there, they've just all been small and not at all shaped like him. (Was that likely the problem with the CBB?) Anyone have any suggestions on fish I could try?

Other fish in the tank are:
Pair of Clarkii's with their BTA
Pair of Firefish
A couple Yellow Tail Damsels (they are as timid and shy as can be, not at all like everything says they should be)
Misc. Cleaner Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, hermits and snails

Trnman32
05/30/2007, 04:30 PM
I have a Juvi orange shoulder,Vlamingi,and a pacific blue that were all added at various stages of my tank in the past two years and once they established the pecking order they get along nicely in my 120

mecheng
05/30/2007, 04:41 PM
My purple tang got along well with all of my fish. It depends on the specimen.

Jutta
05/30/2007, 06:33 PM
My purple tang was bullying nearly all new tank mates which I added after him. The only one he completely left alone is my Marine Beta (also called Comet). He is a beautiful fish, very very calm and friendly and does not get stressed easily

mile sq. reefer
05/30/2007, 10:06 PM
If you can remove the PT to a temp. tank ( quarantine set up), same water parameters as display and add a new tang. After a week add the PT back to the display.

alan214
05/30/2007, 10:21 PM
A Yellow-Striped Maroon Clown would provide a nice contrast to the PT's colors and is agressive enough to hold its own.

bureau13
05/30/2007, 11:20 PM
Some people have had success placing a mirror next to the tank to distract the tang with his own reflection. By the time he gets bored of attacking that, whatever else you're adding will (hopefully) be well enough established.

jds

hahnmeister
05/31/2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah, the morror trick worked wonders for prugs when he had to add an achillies to his 210g with a purple, blue, and other tangs already.

Mr31415
05/31/2007, 03:34 AM
My PT only got along with my Live Rock, Bryopsis and Hair Algae. The only things it left alone...

jrobison
05/31/2007, 06:01 AM
Purple Tangs are very aggressive IME and will attack anything with their own shape. But I have had a lot of success keeping them with Regal Tangs, Nasos, and Rabbitfish. Good luck.

rachelcb80
05/31/2007, 07:05 AM
I think I will try the mirror trick, sounds logical. Is my aquarium large enough to comfortably house a Purple and a Naso?

Thanks!

Bahamianme
05/31/2007, 08:32 AM
.:p Why don't you try a Red flame Angel; Coral beauty, Hippo Tang or queen Agel. They would work, I think!

stuccodude
05/31/2007, 09:12 AM
i have a purple tang, yellow tang, blue tang, powder blue tang, 3 chromis, 2 perc clowns, 1 flam angel, 2 fire fish and 1 damsel and they all get along great, the tangs all hang out, its a very active tank, good luck

bureau13
05/31/2007, 11:19 AM
Nasos get very big, eventually he may outgrow it. For now it should be fine.

FWIW I recently added a blonde naso to my tank, which has a purple, yellow, powder brown and blue hippo (all added together...never any problems) and its like they didn't even notice.

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10049247#post10049247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rachelcb80
I think I will try the mirror trick, sounds logical. Is my aquarium large enough to comfortably house a Purple and a Naso?

Thanks!

Maveri9720
05/31/2007, 12:13 PM
I would suggest a Foxface. Either a Foxface Lo, Fiji or Magnificent. Very nice looking fish that are peaceful, yet no one messes with them b/c of their dorsal fins. Also have nice colors too. Very active fish that loves to munch on algae and bubble algae.

hahnmeister
05/31/2007, 01:44 PM
I have seen Nasos and sailfins with PT's... no problems there. They are much larger than the PT, so it was just a 'little damsel in a tank with groupers'.

rachelcb80
05/31/2007, 02:37 PM
I hadn't thought about a Foxface. I really like the Magnificents! I wonder if that would be a better route than a Naso since they get so big. (Do Foxface's really eat bubble algae?)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

blu iz
05/31/2007, 02:52 PM
I have my purple in with a Foxface, orange shoulder tang, flame angel, a yellow tail damsel, and a freshwater sailfin molly I took out of my planted tank and didn't know what to do with him

I had some bubble algae but its gone since I put the foxface in

jthao
08/18/2007, 11:00 PM
I had a pt, with 2 yellows, and a powder brown. they got along fine