PDA

View Full Version : Purchased Bartlett's from DFS Shipment delayed. In transit 2 days. Will they make it?

MarineGirl411
05/30/2007, 03:16 PM
Hi,
Well, I'm sick. I'm so worried, sad and sick. I ordered some bartlett's from Live Aquaria. There was a mechanical failure w/Fed Ex and it was shipped to Memphis TN. I'm in Washington State. So my shipment is delayed. They departed yesterday around
10:00am from California. I don't know what time they will get here tomorrow. How long can they survive in their bags? They said they package them well enough for up to 48 hours. I don't see how they can make it with all that ammonia built up in their bags. I have a very bad feeling I will open the box and my bartlett's are going to be dead. =*( What a waste of a life. I don't think I'll ever order fish online again. This is just so sad for them. What a horrible deal. If they are alive, what should I do when I first get them? I've got their QT set up, but with the high ammonia level, I don't know how long to take to acclimate them. Please, please let me know. I'm so worried for them.

Gina

NanoGurl
05/30/2007, 03:18 PM
If it's only a day I think you will be okay :) Hopefully the ammonia won't be too bad... they are not being fed or anything while in the bag. I would probably just float them to match temps then get them into the QT asap. Hopefully someone else with more experience can help.

05/30/2007, 03:26 PM
Do what Nanogurl said and stop awfulizing, even if they do not make it there is nothing that you could have done to prevent it. Many people order livestock on line with no problems. Things happen. you will bounce back from this. :bounce2:

sufunk
05/30/2007, 03:28 PM
Hopefully, they will be fine. I got 5 lyretail from them a few months ago and they were delayed a day in transit. They got here and everything was fine, no doa's. LA does an EXCELLENT job of packing their fish.

If your weather is ok, i think they will probably be fine.

Almost forgot, i drip acclimated them for 3-4 hours before going in the qt. I kept the bucket covered and the lights in the qt off for another 1 1/2 days. Make sure that the lights are off and that you slowly acclimate them to the light as well.

MarineGirl411
05/30/2007, 03:40 PM
Will do. I just feel so selfish now. These poor fish go through this just for us. Oye. I don't understand why they were sent to Memphis TN. Then they have to come all the way back to WA State. They originallly departed from CA. =( Sufunk, what time did you end up getting them the 2nd day? Our weather is good. It's not cold. It's a little warm though. At night it gets cold. When you drip acclimate them for that long, do you remove some of the shipping water before? When you drip acclimate them, how do you keep their bag warm while doing this? Thank you all. Sufunk, how large is your QT? Mine is 29 gallons. Hope this is enough. They are just Juvies. 1 1/2in to 2 in. Do you think this will be large enough?

sufunk
05/30/2007, 03:55 PM
I got mine around 10:30am a day late. I sprinted home from work and opened them around 11:30am. They were in seperate bags and i emptiem them into a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket with about half the shipping water. I covered the bucket and dripped them for 3-4 hours. Every 30-45 minutes, i siphoned the water down to the original level. I didnt do anything to get the temp right except drip it for a long time. After about 4 hours, i netted them and into the qt.

My QT is only 20g and these were 5 1.5 inch lyretail so you should be fine with a 29g. Just be sure to keep the water quality up with some water changes.

p.s.- Dont beat yourself up but i feel you. I was pretty upset myself at the thought of those poor little guys sitting in that box and i'm hardly a tree hugger. They are pretty tough though so i'll bet they will be ok. Keep us posted!

Bebo77
05/30/2007, 04:03 PM
lol i feel your pain.. let us know how they are doing when you get them

racerw
05/30/2007, 04:20 PM
Seems like FEDEX is having a bad day. I was suppose to receive a shipment today as well but the shipment was misrouted so now it will come tomorrow (a day late) :(
Hope your fish make it ok

MarineGirl411
05/30/2007, 05:21 PM
Thank you everyone. I will keep you updated. Sorry Racerw. What did you end up ordering? Fish as well?

MarineGirl411
05/31/2007, 12:34 AM
I am wondering if it would help at all to add Amquel+ directly to their shipping bag while I am doing the acclimation drip? Please let me know. Thank you.

racerw
05/31/2007, 12:17 PM
Nah I ordered some Aussie Acans from an individual but good news from my end they came in looking OK. How did your fish come in??

HPD Turbo
05/31/2007, 12:31 PM
I fell for you, be patience and hope for the best!!!

pmartin727
05/31/2007, 07:04 PM
so what ever happen?????

Did they make IT ???/

MarineGirl411
05/31/2007, 09:50 PM
They got here. One is severly stressed. I don't know if it will make it. I surely hope so. I believe they also accidentially sent me 2 males. =(

t5Nitro
05/31/2007, 09:54 PM
They sent me three males, one of them took another one out, the last two seem fine together. If they fight, contact them and they will assist you with a possible another fish or refund. They have great customer service.

MarineGirl411
05/31/2007, 10:01 PM
Thank you T5. Do 2 males ever get along? How long would it take for the other male to turn into a female? I believe that is what they do. I just hope the stressed one makes it. Doesn't look very good. He's on the bottom of the QT. =(

MarineGirl411
05/31/2007, 10:02 PM
Oh sorry, i missed where you said you had 2 that got along. That is good. Sorry about that.

HPD Turbo
06/01/2007, 11:23 AM
How are they doing?

Sepeku
06/01/2007, 11:39 AM
Memphis, TN is the fedex hub. Virtually everything they ship go through here.

I second the notion about Live aquaria, they have awesome customer service.

Is the last fellow comming around?

MarineGirl411
06/02/2007, 04:40 AM
Hi,
He seems to be doing a little better tonight. I wanted to wait a while, until I could post some good news. =)
Now, I am pretty sure I got sent 2 males. =*( Is there a way for me to be positive? Can 2 males ever be housed together and still be okay? I can try to take a picture, but they are really afraid of me right now. Poor little guys. I can back up after I feed them and they come out so that is a good sign. Do you think these guys are straight off the reef? I hear they get intestinal worms quite a bit. Any advice on how to prepare for those or treat them? I know some people QT for 2 weeks, but I've heard people QT for a month. What do you think? Please let me know.
I love Dr's Foster and Smith. They have great customer service! More companies should follow their customer service skills. That's why I like ordering stuff from them. Been ordering dry goods for years and years. I've never ordered anything live before, this is my first time.
These fish are so beautiful. I notice that their eyes are kind of different looking. They look almost light blue. Can they see okay?