PDA

View Full Version : it took him 1 day and 11 hours...

Kengaroo131
05/30/2007, 07:41 PM
it took my tomato clown one day and 11 hours to host my new green bubble tip anemone i must admit im a bit concered and have a few question that maby you can help me out with.

im happy that he took it as a host, but it looks like it might be beating up the anemone a little bit it looks like its picking at the center a little here and there is it just cleaning it? what exactly is it doing? should i take action? if so what should i do? here are a few pics i took when i got home from work.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5920.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5922.jpg

what do you guys think?

Kengaroo131
05/30/2007, 07:45 PM
ooh wow i deffinatly just realized that the anemone is on the move he is now all the way to the left of the rock seen in the pics.

is that a good sign or bad?

55semireef
05/30/2007, 07:49 PM
Any anemone that is on the move for to long is not a good sign.

Kengaroo131
05/30/2007, 07:51 PM
it just started to move its going quick its all the way to the left od the rock its on now

55semireef
05/30/2007, 08:12 PM
What kind of lighting are you running and how old is your tank?

Kengaroo131
05/30/2007, 08:17 PM
i have pc's tanks about 4 or 5 month old i posted a thread a wile back asking what would be a good anemone for the tank and everyone told me a bubble tip would do fine under the pc's

Kengaroo131
05/31/2007, 04:09 AM
its now off the rock and on the one on thbottom to the left of it

vest0830
05/31/2007, 04:22 AM
did you just put the anenome in there, or has it been in the tank for awhile? my anenome moved for about the first day or two before it settled down...and it never moved after that. If your's has been in the tank for a little bit and all of the suddon its on the prowel, it might be a bad thing. Also, my tomato picks at my anenome every once in a while. I dont worry about it.

Kengaroo131
05/31/2007, 04:30 AM
i just put the anemone in there like 2 days ago, and thanks for the relife haha that had me a little worried about the clown picking at it a little.

Kengaroo131
05/31/2007, 05:01 AM
what should i monitor when its moving, anything on the anemone? corals around it?

everl0ng
05/31/2007, 08:36 AM
definitely the corals around it to make sure they don't get in the path of the sting, and make sure your powerheads are up high enough as to not suck it in. potential risks always become a reality when overlooked in this hobby...good luck with your nem!

triggerfish1976
05/31/2007, 11:16 AM
The clown may not be allowing it to settle in or it is just moving around because the spot was just not right. All of my BTA's have moved considerable distances from the spots that I originally tried to place them in. They all move the first day and have been in the same spots ever since.

shred5
05/31/2007, 11:38 AM
Actually sometimes a clown can get too ruff and can cause problems. But usually it is not a problem esp with just one clown. The biting you see could just be the clown getting used to the anemone. I have seen them mouth the tentacles when a clown is first introduced to a anemone. It probably will move the first couple of days till if finds a spot, They never like the spot you want them in.

Dave

Kengaroo131
05/31/2007, 01:00 PM
ok thanks for the good info everyone. it now looks like it stoped moving its on the rock next to it to the left (completly off the small rock) the clown looks like it has made a "nest" area (he pushed a big hole of sand right where it is) it looks like its going to be tricky to feed though its on the side of the rock not straigh up.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5929.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5930.jpg

what dose everyone think?

Kengaroo131
05/31/2007, 01:03 PM
another concern now is, is it getting enough light? its almost under an over hang well not so much but enough to filter some light out.

shred5
05/31/2007, 02:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10051378#post10051378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mariner908
another concern now is, is it getting enough light? its almost under an over hang well not so much but enough to filter some light out.

That looks like a more natural spot for it.. If it is not getting enough light it will move again... Unlike a coral an anemone can move to more favorable conditions if it is not happy.

Dave

Kengaroo131
05/31/2007, 06:45 PM
ok awesome! thanks a million everyone for walking me through this! hopfully he dose well. one more question. are the bubble tips ussaly easyer then any other anemone?

chewie
05/31/2007, 06:50 PM
Also remember to cover the intakes of your powerheads in case it moves again.

Kengaroo131
05/31/2007, 06:54 PM
ooh ok there at the top of the tank but better to be safe then sorry.

55semireef
05/31/2007, 11:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10051884#post10051884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shred5
That looks like a more natural spot for it.. If it is not getting enough light it will move again... Unlike a coral an anemone can move to more favorable conditions if it is not happy.

Dave

Not necessarily. Some animals in unfavorable conditions will not expend the neccessry energy to keep on the search for a more "favorable" spot. In this case, this E. Quadricolor has obviously picked a spot to settle where it is receiving very low light especially because its only PCs. By roaming around the whole tank it has spent a lot of energy.

On another note, Power Compacts do not penetrate the water very much and when you have a BTA such as this one that is shadowed by a rock overhead with not much lighting reaching it, it will probably start to bleach gradually.

mariner908, I am sure whoever recommended that you should get a BTA said that your BTA should in the upper level of your tank, not the lower. I would say having a BTA in the upper level in the part of the tank under PCS is the minimal lighting for it yet yours is at the very bottom in a little dark area. That's not a good sign.

Slakker
06/01/2007, 12:26 AM
In fairness, the light penetrates just as deep as any other type of bulb, it's just that PC's are terribly inefficient at creating and distributing the light that they do make, so that only a relatively small amount of that light actually ends up heading where you actually need it.

I'm a bit concerned that the anemone won't get enough light in the lower portions of the tank as well, but I wouldn't worry too much until you start to see definite signs that it's not getting what it needs. Perhaps it'll move out into more light over the next couple days of acclimating to the tank.

Kengaroo131
06/01/2007, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10054828#post10054828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
By roaming around the whole tank it has spent a lot of energy.

it only moved 5 inches

Kengaroo131
06/01/2007, 08:17 AM
its not really under an over hang its on the rock sideways. i was thinking about upgrading my light anyways but i would like to stay on the cheaper side and recomendations?

shred5
06/01/2007, 08:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10054828#post10054828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
Not necessarily. Some animals in unfavorable conditions will not expend the neccessry energy to keep on the search for a more "favorable" spot. In this case, this E. Quadricolor has obviously picked a spot to settle where it is receiving very low light especially because its only PCs. By roaming around the whole tank it has spent a lot of energy.

On another note, Power Compacts do not penetrate the water very much and when you have a BTA such as this one that is shadowed by a rock overhead with not much lighting reaching it, it will probably start to bleach gradually.

mariner908, I am sure whoever recommended that you should get a BTA said that your BTA should in the upper level of your tank, not the lower. I would say having a BTA in the upper level in the part of the tank under PCS is the minimal lighting for it yet yours is at the very bottom in a little dark area. That's not a good sign.

It could be that the tank it came from had allot less light too and it needs to adjust to the brighter light. If it was just shipped or sat in the retailers tank under crappy lighting. I would let it move on its own for a while, if you move it to bright light you could bleach it too. If it stays there for too long than think of moving it. Too me it looks pulled up tight and not stretching for the light.

When I said it was in a more natural spot I meant with its foot buried under the rock. Obviously you can not tell How much light it is getting from just a pic.

Dave

Kengaroo131
06/01/2007, 08:41 AM
i have just uploaded some more pic of were it is now

it has moved to the front of the rock now and its getting as much light as it can on the lower level

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5933-1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/Kenjamin009/100_5934.jpg

shred5
06/01/2007, 08:52 AM
Seeing the hole tank shot and seeing those mushrooms or ricoria on the left looking a little bleached has me worried that maybe you do not have enough light at that depth. It could be the pic though. What size tank is it and what lighting is in there?.

Dave

Kengaroo131
06/01/2007, 08:58 AM
they are bright green mushrooms its my camera there not bleached its just my crapy camera. its a 10 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. total gallons is about 16. its a coralife pc single row 28 watts 50/50.