PDA

View Full Version : Kole will not eat...

TriniStylez
05/30/2007, 08:15 PM
I have a new Kole Tang that will not eat. He acclimated great and began exploring his tank eagerly the day I got him. He looks and acts very healthy but he will not eat anything I try feeding him. Its been four days now. I know hes hungry...he eats all the algae he can find, which is great but I wish he would eat.

The LFS I got him from had him in QT for me for a while and say he was eating a variety of foods...

Any ideas?

SeaMac2
05/30/2007, 08:36 PM
I had a Kole for a while and it too took a while until it began eating. I tried multiple different things, and he finally seemed to bite on Formula 2 flakes and nori from the clip. I seem to remember it took close to a week.

Assuming it is a healthy specimen, it will get hungry enough that it eats what you offer, or it will scavenge enough from your tank. :)

Chris

rachelcb80
05/30/2007, 08:40 PM
I had a Kole a few months back that would graze all over the tank but wouldn't eat anything I put in, including nori on a clip. He died a few weeks after I bought him, I assume from starvation.

Hopefully yours will start eating soon!

alan214
05/30/2007, 10:15 PM
Try feeding some Nori (seaweed) with a few drops of Garlic Extreme or something similar on it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~garlic~action~view~idProduct~KM3631~idCategory~FIADAG~category~Kent_Marine_Gar lic_Xtreme_1_oz._Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives_Garlic~vendor~.html

Sk8r
05/30/2007, 10:29 PM
Formula Two frozen cubes have a pretty strong smell...those might help.

AquaReeferMan
05/31/2007, 01:55 AM
When I first introduced my Kole he wouldnt eat any prepared foods for about a month. He would just swim around and graze on the rocks and glass. One day he went nuts and now eats anything I put in(nori, live brine, frozen brine, frozen mysis, prime reef flakes, and formula 1 cubes). Try soaking all the food in garlic.

RoscoPColtrane
05/31/2007, 07:37 AM
Try Formula 2 forzen cubes as stated, if you can find it with garlic added already it may help.

TriniStylez
05/31/2007, 09:22 AM
I will try Formula 2 cubes with garlic. I have not tried that yet.

reef'n_WV
05/31/2007, 09:36 AM
this is how i used to feed my tangs, hopefully it will help you. what i did was take a piece of seaweed select (nori) and rubber banded it to a small piece of live rock. i tied a length of small diameter fishing line to the rock, this way i could raise and lower the rock at feeding time without ever getting my hands in the tank. i think its more natural for tangs to graze from a rock than it is a clip. its always worked for me. good luck.