PDA

View Full Version : build my own sump, or ready made?

ilovetrains
05/31/2007, 09:24 AM
I need to replace my sumps. Our tank is a 72 inch bow front, 155 gallon. The inside of the stand is 15 inches deep at the corners. I need two sumps, as the doors for access will not allow one large tank.

I started out with two tide pool sumps, but they were just two small. I am now using two roughneck containers, but they are not optimal. I have sourced a local plastic supply house that will sell sheets of acrylic, so I might have a go at making my own, but have been warned that acrylic is hard to work with.

I have not seen any decent on line options that were nto prohibitively expensive.

Optimal sizes would 15 deep, 18 high, 32 long.

Shagsbeard
05/31/2007, 10:42 AM
There's some great advice for working with acrylic on melev's site... he makes it seem so easy.

Realize though that a sump doesn't need to be glass or acrylic... it can be made from all sorts of containers. Also... it doesn't have to be under your tank. A sump placed above the tank actual has quite a few advantages over one placed below it. Most of us place the sump below the tank for practical reasons.

ilovetrains
05/31/2007, 11:07 AM
Under the tank is my only option. And since the tank is already up and running, I am limited by what will fit through the access doors.

I have spent a lot of time in Lowe's, HD, Wall Mart etc with a tape measure looking at plastic containers with no real success. everything is either too big or too small.

webbstock
05/31/2007, 11:30 AM
If the center brace between the doors is your problem, some people have removed it (temporarily) and supported the tank with a secondary brace that is not in the way. Then they add the larger sump and replace the original brace. It seems a little daring for me, but I've seen threads on here where people have done that.

I have done a little bit of work with acrylic and its not too hard to cut. My only concern in my works so far would be if my seams would hold up to any pressure. Thus far all my acrylic work has been added inside the tank so if it fails no problem. If you DIY your own sump I would let it sit for a week or so with water (outside or garage etc.) so if it does leak or fail, it's not in the stand. After that week I woull check very carefully for any signs of stress/weakness on the seams.

mg426
05/31/2007, 11:41 AM
I removed my center brace, Cut the openings to make them bigger. Installed a larger sump(Home made for a 40 gallon tank)
Replaced the center brace Installed larger doors and all was well.

Nano Chris
05/31/2007, 02:19 PM
You can do something like get 2x 10 gallon or 2x 20 gallon (depending on if the 20s can fit, and pvc them together and you don't have to worry about taking the center brace out.

drummereef
05/31/2007, 02:21 PM
Melev has a great DIY tutoral on how to work with acrylic. :)

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html