PDA

View Full Version : Salt measure?

JC_UF_ITK
05/31/2007, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have a good measure for adding salt (ie. 1 cup per gallon)? Thanks.

drummereef
05/31/2007, 01:33 PM
A refractometer or hydrometer is your best bet for measuring salinity. There are even salinity monitors available. I use a refractomer myself. Measuring by volume is only a rough estimate. Most salt mixes, like IO, are 1/2 cup per gallon of water. But, again, this isn't a good way to measure accurately. ;)

JC_UF_ITK
05/31/2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks! I was just looking for a rough estimate to start with and then go from there. When I first set up in the tank I just had to pour a little, check, pour a little, check, and it was a pain in the butt. I have a hydrometer that I use to measure salinity.

kb0vhy
05/31/2007, 01:51 PM
Take your hydrometer to someone who has an acurate Refractometer and have them make sure it is right!! I've had 2 of them that were way off. Just have them mark yours where it needs to be...

fatdaddy
05/31/2007, 01:59 PM
I have a 30 gallon bucket and 18 cups of salt gets me in the neighborhood of where I want to be.

I'd just mark your bucket and then count how many cups you need. I use a 4 cup measuring cup and I know I need 4.5. Then I let it sit overnight with a powerhead, and then start adding a little at a time to get to 1.025 where I keep my tank. Leave some room in you bucket so you can add water if you go too high.