PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef CS 6-1 Skimmer Problem

john fidler
05/31/2007, 05:25 PM
Hi,

Recently my ER skimmer has given me problems. After I turn it off for feeding, when I turn it back on, the pump kicks in but there are no bubbles. I have to stick my finger in the pump inlet a couple of times to get it to start producing bubbles. I think the problem may be that the needlewheel isn't spinning like it should when it starts back up? Has anyone had this problem and know of a fix?

(P.S. - Yes, I have taken everything apart for cleaning, including the pump, just recently, so it is not clogged. I also have cleaned out the pump in the past with no issues afterwards.)

(P.S.S. - The online instructions for the pump say to lubricate after cleaning, but this appears to be just the volute connection. Am I supposed to lubricate the ceramic shaft? If so, what lubricant? The instructions don't say.)

Thanks for any help.

klam114
05/31/2007, 05:35 PM
What is your process to clean the pump? Do you include the impeller, shaft and venturi hole?

john fidler
05/31/2007, 06:01 PM
klam 114,

Yes to all. Per the instructions on ER's website.

Tennsquire
05/31/2007, 07:02 PM
So it's pumping water but not pulling air? If so, it would appear that your impeller is spinning but that the air intake tube is clogged somehow. I have a 6-1, and I know you're supposed to run hot water through it every once and again. If it's not pumping at all, sounds like the impeller might need to be replaced. Don't know what you mean by "the pump kicks in" when you start it up....

Reef Sponger
05/31/2007, 07:08 PM
I usually run my pump in 20% warm vinegar solution for 2 hours, then pull the shaft and impeller out and soak in 100% vinegar without the rubber end caps, so just the impeller & shaft only. I use a stiff small brush or pipe cleaner and clean out the venturi as there could be a buildup of salt creep or calcified. The ER instructions are not complete.

As TS said, along with weekly collection cup cleaning, it's a good idea to squirk a cup of hot water down the air hose, so it melts down the salt creep and slows down calcification. If no bubbles, TS is correct, air is not being pulled through the pump. Check the air hose and the air valve to make sure no kinks and the air valve is not clogged. Poke a pipe cleaner or stiff brush through the venturi (where the air hose connects to the volute) and make sure it is cleared.