PDA

View Full Version : First water change!

kwaters
05/31/2007, 06:36 PM
Well, the tank has been up about 60 days now and I finally had the day off to do a water change.

Now, I have done millions in my FW tank, and those who have been "salties" for awhile may not think this is any big deal.

I myself, a little stressed! Was the water warm enough? Did all the params match to the display? ETC, ETC....

Well, other than dumping a few liters of water all over my floor, the dog and myself...things went ok. All in all, 12 gallons went out (about 20 % TV) and 12 gallons went in.

I blew out all of the rocks with the Hydors, after aerating the sand (sounds better than blowing the sand LOL). There was sure a lot of junk floating around. I re-tested the water about 2 hours later, and all is goooood.:rollface:

It is almost clear again and the skimmer is working overtime. I set it up a little to get some good wet skim.

I get back from my daughter's graduation on the 12th of June, and would like to start adding some stock. (Slowly of course)

Here is a wish list:

2 Ocellaris clowns
1 six line wrasse
Dwarf feather dusters
1 royal gamma
2 Banggai Cardinal
Green Ricordea

I would also, like to get an anemone, and am thinking a BTA of sorts. I know they are tough, but would like something for the clowns. Any suggestions would be great!

crazyguy34834
05/31/2007, 11:49 PM
water on you and the dog ha, I can relate to that.

get a bubbletip or carpet anemine for the clowns but don't count on them hosting what you want. I got mine a bubbletip and he hosts a rock, go figure

You would be good to get a clown with the anemone that it already hosts at the fish store. Thats the way I am going next time around

alan214
06/01/2007, 12:19 AM
Congrat's on the 1st WC!

Be patient on the anemone. You really want to have a mature tank (6 months minimum) before attempting to get one, IME.

magdelan
06/01/2007, 12:41 AM
I had a nice BTA and my hosted the frogspawn...whatever.

victor_c3
06/01/2007, 01:58 AM
Honestly, I'd go with some sort of LPS like frogspawn or a torch coral instead of an anemone. Anemones can move around the tank on their own and this could cause problems with other corals that you may want to keep in your tank.

I have the following fish in my 30 gallon tank:

1x Ocellaris Clown
1x Royal Gramma
1x Bicolor Blenny

The royal gramms is a great fish and she spends most of her time hanging out in the same 12" section of my tank. She is the most skiddish of the fishes of my tank, but she has gotten more bold over the last two months I've had her.

My clows is by far my most favorite fish. He isn't scared of anything and will swim all around my hand whenever I have my hands in my tank. He doesn't host anything, but he spends all day hanging out within 1-2" of my blenny or my gramma.

Another nice fish you may want to consider is a Blenny. However, my bicolor blenny likes to nip at my SPS corals from time to time. He especially likes my montipora capriconus. My bicolor blenny is very active and likes to spend a lot of time sitting on my live rock "people watching".

Considering that you had the patience to wait 60 days before adding anything to your tank and that your fish list looks good, I dont' think you'll have any problems with your aquarium.

kwaters
06/01/2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks, I really wanted this to go well. Thanks to all of the advice I have recieved here...I think I was able to start things right.

I would like to stay away from the anenome...I know they can be difficult to keep. I guess as long it is not vital for those clowns to have one to host with....I just have to convince my daughter that there are other things out there for the clowns.

I like the bicolored blenny as well. I am really aiming at compatability and not overstocking with fish.