PDA

View Full Version : Trapping a Lawnmower Blenny

moongoddess1964
06/01/2007, 10:23 AM
I posted this in 'Reef Fish' as well. This has been too frustrating not to cover all the bases.

Does anyone know of the best way to catch a lawnmower blenny?

I just love the little guy with his beer belly and funny personality but Bubba has just gotten way too aggressive and territorial. First, he terrorized a sleeper goby and then a diamond goby to death. From what I understand, blennies are supposed to be pretty peaceful. After the sleeper threw himself at the refugium intake and died, we thought the sleeper and goby might be too closely related (conspecific?) or using the same territory in the tank so we decided to go with a diamond goby instead. We rearranged the rocks and corals shortly before bringing the diamond in thinking that might shake things up enough to help. The diamond lasted less than 24 hours after being introduced to the tank.... and Bubba.

Now, I really don't want to take the whole tank apart to get this guy nor do I want to wreck havoc on the other tank inhabitants when I go chasing him down with a net. I'm at a loss here. How can I peacefully catch this guy? Our LFS has had their trap lent out since forever and we've already made, tried, and failed with two different versions of a home made trap - the one using a plastic bottle with the neck inverted. He loves mysid shrimp so we've been using that as bait.

Any suggestions?

Renee

sage_commander
06/01/2007, 10:34 AM
Bummer. :( I can't help you catch it, but now I'm wondering if I want to get one. It *was* going to be the first fish I put in my tank. I'm seeing some green hair and want to nip it.

But now I'm thinking if I get a LMB he'll be the last to go in. Good luck to you.

crazyguy34834
06/01/2007, 10:35 AM
just put some shreded clam, oyster, shrimp, just fresh sea food into a small jar and wait for him to go in. When he does, quickly put your hand over the opening. Works for me for any fish.

SirSmapty
06/01/2007, 10:48 AM
Try the coke bottle trick(used for craps and shrimp). Take a 20oz coke bottle cut the top off, invert it and put some food in it. he will be able to swim into it easier than get out so you might be able to catch him in it

alexb518
06/01/2007, 11:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10056981#post10056981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sage_commander
Bummer. :( I can't help you catch it, but now I'm wondering if I want to get one. It *was* going to be the first fish I put in my tank. I'm seeing some green hair and want to nip it.

But now I'm thinking if I get a LMB he'll be the last to go in. Good luck to you.

lmb's are useless for algae. IME, you will not notice a bit of a difference.

as for catching one, you can also try leaving a net in the tank for a few days so that he gets used to it. and then next time he's sitting on the sand or a near by rock, just net him up.

BigScott
06/01/2007, 11:50 AM
lmb's are useless for algae.>?... not my lmb hes like 5 inches long an never stops eating alge..mine is a PIG..an ive never seen one to be agressive..

scott

moongoddess1964
06/01/2007, 04:01 PM
I do love the lil guy! He is an incredible pig and what a personality!! He eats ALL the time, hence the belly on him but, we have enough algae eaters and have more of an issue with keeping the sand clean... So, the decision's been made to find him a new home. It's just how to catch him?? The plastic bottle trap has been in there for a 1.5 days and is constantly baited but --- nothing, nada, zilch! The tank as a whole has been fed sparingly, if at all, for the last two days. Any other ideas? Please keep in mind that this guy has his wits about him - he *knows* when you're in the room and responds according to your mood.