PDA

View Full Version : Goby/Shrimp pair questions...

MikeP471612
06/01/2007, 03:26 PM
I'm looking at buying a goby/tiger pistol pair from another reefer (at least he thinks it's a tiger pistol). Will the other shrimp in my reef (190g) be safe with this guy in the tank? I read that some pistols hunt other shrimp but then I also read that tiger pistols are peaceful. The current owner says he has had cleaners in there with him and has a peppermint in there with him now. I think they would be an awesome addition to the tank but once they go in it won't be easy to get them out again so I wanted to be sure. Any other helpful info would also be great, like is the 'snapping' of their claw way to annoying? How often do they make that noise? My tank is on my main floor so if it's really loud and happening all the time that would suck.

Thanks

MikeP471612
06/01/2007, 07:00 PM
bump

morbius18
06/01/2007, 07:08 PM
From what I understand, the pistols are almost completely blind, using their antenna to feel the goby's movements. Unless the animal stubled into the burrow (ie hermit or shrimp) I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I seem to have a pistol in my tank. I keep hearing pops and there is a small mound and a tunnel under a piece of live rock, but I have never seen him. I haven't lost a single invert to him.

morbius18
06/01/2007, 07:11 PM
Sorry, forgot to address the sound. The sound almost sounds like a hermit shell falling against the glass. At first thats what I thought it was, then I examined my MJ powerheads on the natural wave timer to see if it was popping, then one morning I saw an Inch long shadow dart into the hole when I walked up.

reidcrandall
06/02/2007, 08:57 AM
I have a tiger shrimp with my banded goby. He presents no threat to anything in the tank. I have had no problems.

But be careful. I have heard of people getting shrimp/goby pairs and putting them in aquapods and having trouble with the sand that the shrimp kicks up in excavation. The water may get cloudy in a smaller tank without much flow.

Reid

LeslieH
06/02/2007, 11:00 AM
The alpheids (pistol shrimp) that eat other shrimp are free-living and have fully functional eyes. It's the goby-partner shrimp that have limited vision. These won't bother other tank inhabitants.

cowboyswife
06/02/2007, 03:05 PM
I have a tiger pistol paired with a pink and blue spotted goby. I love the relationship between the two, and I wouldnt trade them for anything. The only downside that I have, not sure about others having the same issue, is the goby snatches small hermits and delivers them to the shrimp for dinner. When I got back from vacation on Wednesday, there was a pile of about 8 empty shells outside his hole. Just make sure you target feed him.

Aaarrrggg
06/02/2007, 05:38 PM
My Yasha goby has shunned the random pistol I tried to pair him with... I think he was too big and mencing for him to 'guard' :) I'm getting a randalls pistol on tues...fingers crossed.

Anyway, my point is... My pistol has never been a problem... occasionally a shrimp or crab will venture too close and he'll start popping at them... but no harm is done, they just move away. In fact it's pretty funny :D

edit: just read cowboyswife's comment. I hadn't thought of what will happen when a pistol can double team with the goby! :eek1:

Jimbo327
06/02/2007, 05:56 PM
I just bought a pair of yashia and randall's shrimp yesterday.

They were purchased as a pair, and they immediately went together in the tank. My shrimp is 1/2 the size of the goby, and it's great seeing them together.

Might have to take a few more weeks for them to be comfortable enough to start coming out more.

I'm hoping they will stay peaceful with the other inverts in my tank.

Icefire
06/02/2007, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10063082#post10063082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieH
The alpheids (pistol shrimp) that eat other shrimp are free-living and have fully functional eyes. It's the goby-partner shrimp that have limited vision. These won't bother other tank inhabitants.

How to tell? I'm getting 4 free red&blue pistol next week

LeslieH
06/03/2007, 12:06 AM
It would help to know the species name. Red&blue pistol doesn't mean much. Post a pic once you get them.