PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis system question.. kind of off topic

sfsuphysics
06/01/2007, 09:52 PM
Ok, so I need to set up an RO unit for DRINKING water purposes not reef purposes. This system will be on a farm land (with lots of farm around it) and will be pumping well water. So what this means is no chlorine or chloramines at all.

So what sort of pre-filters do I need to use to maximize efficiency? Carbon filters basically pull out the chlorine/amines so that your RO Membrane doesn't get hosed, but if the Cl* is removed from the equation what do the carbon filters do?

Now as mentioned this is in/around farmland, so we're probably talking pesticides, fertilizers, rather high disolved organics, amongst other things, so I'm looking to help get the best quality drinking water as possible.

Thanks.

AZDesertRat
06/01/2007, 10:02 PM
Carbon blocks remove volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) and synthetic organic chemicals (SOCs), basically herbicides and pesticides. They are a very necessary part of the filtration process if you are near any irrigated farm properties that use any types of fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides as almost all farms do. Don't skimp on the quality of the unit either, I use nothing but the best for drinking water and the reef is secondary.

sfsuphysics
06/02/2007, 08:45 AM
Well, the unit is simply going to be the housing for all the filters, I'm so worried about that. I am worried that there's only 40 psi coming out, which is the bare minimum, and since this is going to be an under the counter jobby I'd rather not have a booster pump if I can avoid it.

So would you suggest a single sediment filter and 2 carbon block filters? I can always add more chambers and go with more filters as well.

Also is there a way to detect for the VOC and SOC? I'd like to have some gauge for when to change out the filters other than hearing from my in-laws that they're sitting on the can all day long. :D A TDS meter wouldn't help at all would it?

AZDesertRat
06/02/2007, 10:05 AM
My first and most important question is , Do you have a water quality on the well? You should have the well tested at least every 5 years if nothing comes up suspicious in he first round of tests and more often if anything suspect is present. Small domestic wells are often overlooked since they are not regulated by heath departments or state/federal agencies unless they are public drinking water systems. A pretty complete basic well analysis should cost less than $150 and will test for the most common parameters. I would not own or drink water from a well unless I knew its history and water quality. Domestic wells are often influenced by septic systems and irrigation tail water if not sited, drilled and cased properly.
If the well is pretty much sand free then one sediment filter should work. If it has any particuates or sediment/sand in the water then you might want to go with a larger micron prefilter first followed by a second one with a smaller micron rating so the first can trap big stuff and be changed out more often as needed but protects the one downstream. A single 0.5 micron carbon block will adsorb chlorine and VOC/SOCs from 20,000 gallons of normal tap water so I don't think two carbons are necessary.

sfsuphysics
06/02/2007, 10:34 AM
Wish I could answer that water quality question, it's not my place otherwise I probably would have done it, they just moved in, so I doubt they did anything, however I'll ask if they can find out if anything has been done.

They do notice that the water tastes salty.. although I have a feeling that's from the water softener. I'm unsure about the total water issues involved with that place other than I was told that the drinking water from the faucet tastes salty, the water apparently is extremely hard (showering is not a pleasant experience), although the water from an external hose is not salty.

But I'll see what I can find out about water quality.