PDA

View Full Version : Skilled skimmer veterans thoughts needed.....

mfinch99
06/02/2007, 06:08 PM
I have seen many posts on how to plumb a skimmer into a system. But I am interested in some thoughts from you experienced reefers. I am building a system that is 92g Corner tank with about a 110g sump in the basement. I will probably be using a Sequence 5000 or 5800 for my return pump due to the head pressure. Which option would you chose and why? Have you had any negative experiences with one or the other?

I also need to choose between using either a Deltec AP851 or an AP902.

Option 1
Gravity Fed off of the overflow

Option 2
Dedicated pump fed.

Option 3
Fed off of the return with a gate or ball valve to control flow.

Thanks for your help.

SeanT
06/02/2007, 06:27 PM
Option 1 is my choice.
I have a slightly similar set up with a Deltec AP 702.
The plumbing goes through the dining room wall and drops a total of 6 feet to the garage (house is higher).

I dedicated two of my 6 drain lines to feed the skimmer.
I am a freak about being able to drain at least 4x more than my return can possibly put back in due to so many overflows in years past.

The two lines I have going to the skimmer enter a pvc wye joint.
On the output side of the wye is a gate valve (close to the skimmer for ease of access) so I can control the amount entering the skimmer. Once I got the flow rate right on this valve I haven't touched it in over a year but it allows me to upgrade or downgrade more easily.

Adding an additional pump is usually my last resort as it adds more heat and is just one more thing that needs maintenance and can fail.

As for which skimmer, I tend to go for what is overrated for my system.
Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. jmo.

hth,
Sean

sjm817
06/02/2007, 06:36 PM
Which Sequence pump? An UNO Tarpon would even be overkill. I would consider something smaller that would have ~ 300 - 500 GPH after headloss.

One thing about a basement sump (I have one) is the water is really cruising when it gets down there and has lots of air with it, so you have to be careful how you design the feed.

USC-fan
06/02/2007, 06:41 PM
Option 2
Dedicated pump fed.

easiest to set up.

virginiabreeze6
06/02/2007, 06:42 PM
702....................just because you will have the benefits of 2 pumps

also great for when you decide to upgrade

virginiabreeze6
06/02/2007, 06:44 PM
I use a pump just because I wanted it above my sump. It's probally 100" from the main tank......... at this point you will probally have a chiller anyway

virginiabreeze6
06/02/2007, 06:45 PM
gate valve for sure..............it will help getting it tuned into your tanks needs

mfinch99
06/02/2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the detailed responses.

SeanT
Since I will only have one overflow I would T-Off it similar to the way you Y'd-off yours?

sjm817
You just gave some info I hadn't thought about yet. I should be focused on ~300-500gph after headloss.

That has generated more questions for me now.

I will have a KM500(Kalk Stirrer) and FR509(Fluidized Reactor) and a GEO618 Calcium Reactor on this system also. The KM500 would be fed by Osmolator Topoff.

How would you feed the Fluidized Reactor and Calcium Reactor?
Would you feed them off the return?

My initial thoughts were the more I feed off the return the less pumps I would need, the less pumps the less power consumtion and heat. I could isolate each component off the return with gate valves to control flow to them and provide easy upgrade capabilities in the future.

Am I being crazy to even think about feeding anything off the return except the tank and should size the return specific to that?

Thanks

sjm817
06/02/2007, 07:36 PM
How much head? My setup is below. I use a Gen-X Mak4 pushing 10' vertical head to a 180 with dual overflows and it is plenty. It uses ~ 110W. You could build a manifold with a bunch of taps to feed extra stuff. Even so, you dont need a huge pump. The couple of things you are looking to feed need a very small amount of flow.

mfinch99
06/02/2007, 07:51 PM
Gotcha thanks sjm817 you have been helpful.

SeanT
06/02/2007, 10:19 PM
I have the back of my tank drilled for extra drains and a closed loop if I want one.

I know not everyone has this but since your tank isn't wet yet I would suggest it.

Even if not used immediately it is good to have the option.
Once filled...it is a REAL pain then lol.

mfinch99
06/03/2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks SeanT

Kshack
06/04/2007, 08:07 AM
Option #1. Gravity will be constant and does not have to be cleaned and does not cost you anything to run. In short, it is the only thing in your tank that can not fail.
On the return side (not free here) I spoke with the factory and the recommendation was a Barracuda. I have to valve back the flow, (uses less energy valve back) but the Dart would be just too close to max output. I tee off to run aux in the sump...less pumps.
My skimmer is H&S.
Bassement sump

TwistedTiger
06/04/2007, 10:39 AM
How about option #4?

To avoid changing my plumbing and to give me the flexibility to make changes easily I placed a medium sized pitcher($1 at wallmart) in my sump and ran my overflow into that pitcher. I placed a small feed pump in the pitcher to feed my skimmer. Now my skimmer was fed 100% overflow and I didn't have to try and guess how much I was feeding it or try to make minute adjustments one way or the other on feed flow. The extra flow from my overflow that the skimmer didn't use simply overflowed the pitcher into the sump. Depending on the depth of your sump you may have to raise the pitcher to insure the top of it is slightly above the top of the water in the sump. It worked like a charm for me and was easy to remove the skimmer for cleaning since it wasn't plumbed to the overflow.

mfinch99
06/04/2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the input. TwistedTiger I don't have anything to worry about on depth of sump. Mine will be 4' x 4' x2'.