PDA

View Full Version : Salifert MG kit

radone
06/02/2007, 06:39 PM
Has anyone experienced any high readings from the new kits

I have one that no matter what I do it constantly gives me 1500 and I know that is not right.

The kit I'm using is dated 11-2009 and the batch is 1106C

I sure hope someone else is experiencing this :rolleyes:

Icefire
06/02/2007, 06:57 PM
Dilute the tank water with 50% RODI, it should give you 750..

Hope Salifert didn't screw all the test kit like the alk one.

bertoni
06/02/2007, 07:29 PM
I think using two syringes and adding the results is fine, as well. Have you tried some freshly-mixed saltwater? If so, what brand of salt?

mavgi
06/02/2007, 11:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10065179#post10065179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
Dilute the tank water with 50% RODI, it should give you 750..

Hope Salifert didn't screw all the test kit like the alk one.

they did , i test 2 new calcium test kit and i read 800ppm compre my other 2 test kit 450ppm.

Billybeau1
06/02/2007, 11:47 PM
radone, the mag kit I am using is the same date as yours. I have no problems. Please answer Bertoni's questions if you want help. If the color does not change after a full syringe, then you should draw another 1 ml and dose until the color does change. Then add the value of the second syringe to 1500. I'll bet you use Oceanic ?

What salt mix and have you mixed up a batch to test and at what s.g. ?

magvi, I'm not all convinced yet that the alk kits are messed up. I just got a new one and it reads just like my old one. What were the years of exp date for the supposed bad alk tests ? I've just begun to here rumblings about this and want to understand who and what batches are having problems.

mavgi
06/03/2007, 03:43 PM
i didn't test new alk and don't want to try now after things will be clear . the calcium that i test was dated: 11-2011 and i check 2 box .
i am not sure about the alk but you can read here i think it's the same date on the test kit where the complain start to shown

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1117617

my mag (new box ) dated 11-2008 but this test accurate.

Roy G. Biv
06/03/2007, 05:50 PM
Dont mean to hijack, but my question is similar. In my test kit, it gives you calculations to calculate magnesium. Does this make sense to anyone?

Calcium (Ca2+) x 2.5 = Calcium Hardness (CaCO3)
General Hardness - Calcium Hardness = Magnesium Hardness
Magnesium Hardness / 4.1 = Magnesium mg/L Mg2+

By doing this calculation there appears to always be magnesium in the water even without specifically adding it.

bertoni
06/03/2007, 08:11 PM
That sounds reasonable, but general hardness tests are impractical for saltwater, since the hardness is extremely high. If general hardness matches calcium hardness, there isn't any magnesium in the water.

Saldarya
06/03/2007, 09:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10066714#post10066714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
radone, the mag kit I am using is the same date as yours. I have no problems. Please answer Bertoni's questions if you want help. If the color does not change after a full syringe, then you should draw another 1 ml and dose until the color does change. Then add the value of the second syringe to 1500. I'll bet you use Oceanic ?

What salt mix and have you mixed up a batch to test and at what s.g. ?

magvi, I'm not all convinced yet that the alk kits are messed up. I just got a new one and it reads just like my old one. What were the years of exp date for the supposed bad alk tests ? I've just begun to here rumblings about this and want to understand who and what batches are having problems.

Got a new Alk kit 2 days ago with a date of 04-2012. This tests read +.8 meq/L over my older kit (which I still have some left so I can test side by side at the same time). THe old test is dated 05-2011.

I think there is an issue, but for me is was merely an inconvinence as I was able to figure the difference and just subtract the difference.

Billybeau1
06/04/2007, 12:00 AM
Sal, Just my luck..... I ordered a new Salifert Alk kit to check on this issue (received it last week) and wouldn't you know it, the NEW test kit I got was dated 10-2010.

Guess they had a surplus. And it matched my previous test kit to a tee.

So I'm at a loss on this one. Been seeing a lot of complaints though :confused:

I'll stay on it. :)

HowardW
06/04/2007, 05:40 AM
I also recently purchased a Salifert Mag kit and think my test results read way too high, close to 1500 on 2 seperate tanks. :confused:

I was going to question these readings over on the Salifert forum but noticed they are not responding to threads over there and quite a few people seem to have issues.

radone
06/04/2007, 03:10 PM
I do add the results from one draw to another but I don't believe my MG is 1500. I'm using IO so that should tell you it's not that high.
I haven't tried freshly made but I will this week

I did compare mine to a friends and it seems about right on his system. I'm going to let it come down some before I start dosing Mg again. Just have to stay faithful on water changes for now.

The test kit I bought was in a CU box but was marked as being an Mg kit All my bottles are of the 1106 batch

Thanks for the replies

msn711
06/04/2007, 07:23 PM
I also recently got an 1106 batch, and I use IO salt. I just set up my new tank, and as to be expected, the IO (in the tank, after a week or so of running) tested at 1155. I think this is to be expected with IO, so I don't think there's any reason to doubt the results. Same thing with my new alk and calcium kits. Typical low IO numbers - 2.97 meq/l or 8.3 and 350 calcium. Oh and my mag kit was also in a cu box.

AJtheReefer
06/04/2007, 09:10 PM
interesting thread. I just ordered a Salifert MG kit. Will report back on my testing once I get it

Aquarist007
06/05/2007, 12:21 PM
a mute point but there is little to no evidence that a 1500 magnesium level has an effect on anything except your pocket book if you are trying to maintain it at that :)

radone
06/06/2007, 01:58 PM
capn,

No I'm not trying to maintain it my problem is with the test kit, just wanting to get some other feedback and find out if this was just a bad test kit or not

I don't keep Mg at 1500 but rather aim for1300 to 1400
actually I've noticed better growth in my system if it is lower but I'm experimenting to see what works best. :cool: