PDA

View Full Version : One very long overflow vs. two smaller overflows

Albright
06/03/2007, 10:22 PM
I've read a lot that the higher the total linear length that the overflows cover the better.

Meaning overflow on the back pane in the center sized 10" x 5" would give 2x5" + 1x10" for a total of 20" while 2 corner overflows at 8" x 8" would give 4x8" = 32" making the twin corner overflows more efficient.

I am planning a large built in system which will only be viewable from the front pane. There will be cabinetry built around it covering the entire wall it will be placed on.

I'm considering two options:

1) Two internal overflows along each side (36") which would give 72" of overflow length. Cabinetry would cover these so there would be no visible overflow when viewed from the front exposed pane.

2) One internal overflow along the entire back (black in color) which would be either 96" or 120" (undecided as of now) however either length would be a decent % above the two side overflows. Being black I would imagine it being just as unnoticeable as the two side overflows.

I would imagine the large overflow along the entire length to be the more efficient option but I seem to almost never see it. Would anyone recommend against going this way? Other than the fact that the tank could never be used for viewing from both sides.

I have also noticed a few of the newer build threads using external overflows (non-siphoned). Is there an advantage to them that I am missing besides them not taking space up within the display (which is irrelevant to me in both above scenarios)?

Thanks for all the help. And a warning, I'll be asking a LOT of questions over the next few months. This place is great for information, just let me know if I get too greedy :)

Albright
06/04/2007, 11:48 AM
No one? :(

barbra
06/04/2007, 12:28 PM
I think if you are looking into a horizontal you may want to go with an external Calfo style. I have heard some disappointment from others on the amount of light that is blocked by the internal variety.