PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Lighting for LPS

Slakker
06/03/2007, 11:46 PM
I know this is probably a superb noob question, but I can't find any information to really help me choose a fixture anywhere.
I've got an Eclipse 12 tank (15" deep, appx. 20" wide) which comes stock with only 13w of PC lighting. This is obviously insufficient for keeping anything but aiptasia and coralline algae.

I'd like to avoid MH due to the potential huge changes I'd have to make to my system (chillers, ato, etc.)
That said, it looks like my options are T5 and PC. I'd also like to keep expenses as low as possible, with a target price of about $100. I would also like the fixtures to be made for a 20" tank, but will live with 24" if that's where I'll find the best options.

If anyone could link me some fixtures (I'd like to avoid retrofits if possible) that will provide enough light for what I'd like to keep (Zoa's and maybe some Frogspawn) I would be ever grateful.

Thanks in advance!

ReefForBrains
06/04/2007, 03:30 AM
24inch dual 65w PC will keep softies no prob in your tank.

Dig through the classified section and you will find dozens of them.

Happy hunting.

ReefForBrains
06/04/2007, 03:32 AM
Correction, I would just say single 65w PC for your tank should yeild great results.

Dont listen to any rubish about "the bulbs are almost new"

Grab a cheap fixture form the classifieds and buy a new bulb from one of the online discounters for 10 bucks.

You should be ready to rock your mini reef for WELL under budget of 100.

Slakker
06/04/2007, 09:22 AM
Wow...that's way less light than I was expecting. If a single 65w will do it, I'll probably try to find a dual (or two cheap single fixtures) so that I can run actinic as well.

I also have the opportunity to pick up a 175w MH system run by a PFO ballast. Even though MH could result in some serious problems, I'm highly tempted to pick it up (it's also within budget, even if I buy a new bulb.)

About how high off the water would I have to hang the MH to keep it from skyrocketing my evaporation and heat, do you think? And at that height, would it even be worth it over the PC fixtures that will be a few inches above the surface?

luke33
06/04/2007, 10:51 AM
Get one of the cheap pc's at aquatraders.com and you'll be happy. Sure there not the greatest lights but your talkin cheap with bulb's and there pc's don't have many probs.

Slakker
06/04/2007, 12:57 PM
I just looked into those, and they do look fairly decent...however, for the 2x65w strip it's gonna cost me $10 less than buying the 175w MH from the local guy...I might as well spend the extra $10 and get lighting that will allow me to keep anything...unless of course spending that extra $10 is going to lead to having to spend a couple hundred on a chiller or something.