PDA

View Full Version : Reeftek VS Geo

rolyguy7
06/04/2007, 01:29 PM
I have a 175gal oceanic bowfront which consist of many SPS frags I've picked up here from other members. I've been running my tank with two part ESV B-Ionic. However I've been reading a lot about Calcium Reactors and their benefits. From the information I have gathered I'm down to deciding between a Reeftek and a GEO. Does anyone have any pro's/ con's between these two you'd care to share? Either one just as good as the other? Also, any recommendations on what gauges to purchase, etc. will be great.

Thanks...

rolyguy7
06/05/2007, 07:27 AM
Bump... Anyone?

Doubledown
06/05/2007, 07:49 AM
I cannot compare the 2 as I have never owned the Reeftek. I can give you my experience with the GEO as I have been using one for almost 2 years now.

I am very pleased with the reactor. I bought a larger model 624 for my 180 SPS with plans for a bigger tank (don't we all). It is very well made, easy to set up and comes complete with a bubble counter and pH probe holder built into the lid. I have mine connected to a Pinpoint pH controller and use a Milwaukee regulator/selenoid (if I were to purchase it again I would buy the Reef Fanatic Deluxe unit with the precision needle valve) on the CO2. I "t'd" off my chiller loop to feed water to the reactor, connected the CO2 input line and I was running. I use the large grain Gen-X media with a little bit of crushed Dolomite on the bottom to provide a little more resistance for the CO2 to disolve into the water. The recirculating design eliminates the need for a 2nd media chamber and the eheim pumps that GEO uses are top quality.

Pros: Well made, easy to set up, solid customer service (just PM him here at RC) and a good price with some nice features.

rolyguy7
06/08/2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for response Doubledown. Very informative.

spongebobby
06/08/2007, 09:03 AM
I also can only comment on the Geo.... I purchased a 618 for my 120 and run a ReeF Fanatic deluxe regulator . I use the course arm media and use a Pinpoint PH controller to cotrol PH inside reactor. After a week of tweaking it in it has been spot on ever since. I also have Geo kalk reactor running to keep PH stable. Both together are a great team at controlling Alk/Calc/PH. Since adding, my SPS have really started to grow and the colors are really staring to show. I chalk that up to the stability more than anything. I would definately buy it all again.......If I had to.

Lincutis
06/08/2007, 09:03 AM
I concur with double down. Had my Geo for a couple of years and it is very user friendly, low maintenence and does a superior job. I would highly recommend the Geo to anyone in the hobby, especially for new reefers who want to get a reactor that they can rely on and not be overwhelmed by the process.

TwistedTiger
06/08/2007, 10:32 AM
I'm currently running a reeftek and would go with the GEO. My reeftek works perfectly but it took over a month for me to get it after my card was charged and when it came in it was plumbed so poorly that I couldn't get the unions to stop leaking even with teflon tape. I had to take it apart and totally redo the plumbing. It's a great reactor but quality control on my unit was non existent.

Henry Bowman
06/08/2007, 10:35 AM
Another vote for Geo. I run a 612 and love it!

tacocat
06/08/2007, 12:17 PM
I'd recommend the GEO because it is made with black acrylic, and the Reeftek is made with blue acrylic. :D

rolyguy7
06/11/2007, 09:44 AM
What's the difference between the blue and black acrylic?

tacocat
06/11/2007, 11:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10119830#post10119830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rolyguy7
What's the difference between the blue and black acrylic?

Nothing, except for the fact that I think black looks SO MUCH better than blue. Blue acrylic was the color of choice back in the days of fish only undergravel filter tanks. So I have a natural aversion to it. :D

If it were up to me, I dish my money out on a GEO. It's built like a tank, and it was a solid performer for me, perhaps the best reactor I have used.

JRaquatics
06/11/2007, 11:47 AM
I have a 618, and is a soild unit. There is a used one here http://cgi.ebay.com/Geo-Calcium-reactor-618_W0QQitemZ160126326708QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20758QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

brianbigoats
06/11/2007, 03:23 PM
I have a reeftek it has been a great. i got a good deal on it used from a local. the two units are very similar in the way they work whatever they are both solid choices.