PDA

View Full Version : How to go about preparing these frags

DetectiveTofu
06/04/2007, 02:55 PM
In about two weeks I will receiving one frag of each of the following: an orange and blue zoa, pulsing xenia, green star polyps, and mushrooms. These will be the first corals I am adding to my tank. How should I go about placing each of these in my tank? (the frags are coming without pieces of LR). should I glue each of the frags to small pieces of LR I have and then place them in my tank? Or should I epoxy them directly underwater to a large piece of LR? I know if I do the second option of the coral isn't happy with where it is placed it will be a pain to move, but if I do the first way it will be a little harder to place them where i want, but easier to move. How do you guys do it?

thanks
RF

AnimaliA
06/04/2007, 03:03 PM
The zoas and GSP can be glued to a piece of rock and placed into the aquarium. The mushrooms and xenia don't respond to glue and need to attach naturally. There are many methods to get them to attach, the one I use requires a toothpick, rubber band and piece of rock. Place the coral (mushroom or xenia) on a piece of rock, place the toothpick on top of the coral and rubber band the toothpick to the rock on both ends. It does not have to be tight, just so long as there is enough pressure to hold the coral in place. good luck!

DetectiveTofu
06/04/2007, 07:52 PM
thanks for the help!

kaptken
06/04/2007, 10:10 PM
I would only use super glue on the GSP because it has a coraline shell. the other soft, sliming soft corals would be best tied down with a half inch wide strip of POLYESTER BRIDAL VEIL. a nice mesh about 1/8 inch openings you can buy at any walmart or cloth and craft store for about a dollar a yard. enough for 1000 frags at least.. use the strip of mesh to hold down the softie to a depression in a frag rock, and secure the veil with rubber band. the coral can extend its polyps thru the veil and then attach it's foot to the rock in a week or so. then remove the veil. if it happens to engulf the veil with its own growth, just snip the excess veil off. what is embedded in the soft coral is inert. it won't hurt the coral.

DetectiveTofu
06/05/2007, 02:01 PM
I'm surprised super glue gel isn't toxic to aquarium life?

AnimaliA
06/05/2007, 11:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10082952#post10082952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rhythmicfire
I'm surprised super glue gel isn't toxic to aquarium life?

I wouldnt recommend applying the glue underwater, but it works brilliantly when the frags/rock is out of the water.

da1jewfish
06/07/2007, 09:54 PM
how long would it normally take for a shroom to attach itself to a base?