PDA

View Full Version : How invasive is halimeda?

lakwriter
06/04/2007, 05:04 PM
I had some halimeda hitchhike in on some LR. It was growing pretty slowly until recently - it seems to be taking off. It looks kinda cool and a recent trip to Shedd Aquarium reveales they had some in their reef tanks and it was quite full and swayed in the current - equally cool. But I've seen some posts that the stuff is bad news. It is in the display. I don't have a 'fuge, so its either staying in the display, or I'm yanking it out during next week's water change.

Thoughts?

Potsy
06/04/2007, 05:10 PM
I have plenty of halimeda and I find it very attractive. Some people avoid it because it can suck up a lot of calcium, but it is very easy to prune and remove. I can't recall a closeup photo of a real ocean reef without some halimeda somewhere.

saltycreefer
06/04/2007, 05:14 PM
It grows prolifically in one of my service accounts, I usually just pull a good handful out each time I'm there. It adds color and texture to the aquascape. The only thing I don't like is that the ends tend to grow nuisance algaes.

Peter Eichler
06/04/2007, 05:36 PM
I let it grow in my tank and it's quite easy to prune back if needed. Here's a little section where I let it spread out a little. I rather like it and it's far less invasive than most other algae species.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/pseichler/RP4-25-07newPEs028.jpg

dmarie120
06/05/2007, 04:45 AM
I let it grow in my tank and I like it. It adds another dimension to the look.

Dawn

Frick-n-Frags
06/05/2007, 05:35 AM
least invasive because it is large, solid and easy to maintain.

but like all algae, keep it pruned back so it doesn't run away on you or crash.