PDA

View Full Version : ID help needed, please!

moseynme
06/04/2007, 10:57 PM
I've received my TBS part 1 a couple of weeks ago and all is well, except....

Somebody is eating the LR like crazy!

One rock was about 7" long - now I have 2 - 1 part is about 5" and the other part is 2"....I don't mind if the critters want to make the tank "their own", but can't they stick to re-arranging the furniture and leave the remodeling to me!!

Any ideas? thoughts? cures?

Thanks in advance! :)

scowiii
06/05/2007, 07:37 AM
Pictures? Um also remember its not really rock. Its fossilized ancient sea bed. The rock may have had a stress crack and just broke in half. But I wouldn't worry about it if its your first part because youre second part you're going to reaquascape again anyways.

moseynme
06/05/2007, 08:39 AM
Hi scowiii...sorry no pics - I haven't actually seen it. Jut wondered what type of critter would/could do this...

Don't think it was a stress crack tho...it's started on the top side of another rock and there are little piles of debris where it's been digging.

As for the 2nd part....June is going to be one loonnnggg month! :D

scowiii
06/05/2007, 09:34 AM
Might have a mantis then. Just watch the tank. Some people like them and some don't. If you catch him either put him in your refugium or post it alot of people would want it. I know I have one in my tank but I can not find him.

moseynme
06/05/2007, 11:40 AM
I definitely have one! Funny little bug of a thing he is too...

If I can catch him, I might have to start my own mantis tank - lol. I find everything on TBS LR very addictive! (except for the gorilla crabs. they give me the hebbee-gebbies!!)

thanks for all your help!

figuerres
06/05/2007, 03:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10080780#post10080780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moseynme
Hi scowiii...sorry no pics - I haven't actually seen it. Jut wondered what type of critter would/could do this...

Don't think it was a stress crack tho...it's started on the top side of another rock and there are little piles of debris where it's been digging.

As for the 2nd part....June is going to be one loonnnggg month! :D

first thought:

rock boring urchin may be at work.

look for spines in a hole and be carefull not to get stuck by one.

generaly black / purpule in color.

moseynme
06/05/2007, 08:30 PM
I think scowii has hit the nail on the head! I finally caught Mr. Googly-Eyed Mantis in action tonight....dirty, rotten little bugger!

Think he'll go for some crab legs? (was meant for my dinner, but oh well!)

I have an old Eclipse tank I'll set up for his impending capture!!

Thanks all! I couldn't do this without you all to lean on, that's for sure!!

scowiii
06/05/2007, 10:29 PM
Glad to be of help. Mantis's are cable of boring rock and also shattering glass.