PDA

View Full Version : Purple Pseudochromis?

J. Montgomery
06/05/2007, 05:42 PM
I saw a cool looking purple pseudochromis in the LFS this afternoon, but wanted to "research" it first. So whats the word on these guys?

I have a 55 gallon mixed reef tank thats been setup for about 10 months now. I've had a pair of false percula clownfish for most of that time, and now I'm looking to add to my livestock.

The fish that I've been wanting to get in addition to my clowns are:
- yellow watchman goby (bought a juvenile earlier today, he's in QT)
- two Bengaii cardinals
- two firefish

I've considered getting a 6-line wrasse, but I don't think I want any spazzes in the tank.

Any other peaceful fish suggestions?

edwing206
06/05/2007, 06:16 PM
I had one kill my flasher wrasse. I got rid of him.

EdKruzel
06/05/2007, 07:37 PM
Is it a Purple Dottyback or a Fridmani?

Fridmani:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/images/fridmani.jpg

Purple:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~maroasis/purple.jpg

With either the firefish are going to be picked upon, but the P. fridmani is a brighter in color fish with a much better personality that can be placed with numerous less dominant tankmates. The Purple Dottyback, P. porphyreus is much more aggressive and would not be a good canidate for the tank you describe.

green_frogspawn
06/05/2007, 08:54 PM
i think he means the dottyback...
you should be ok, ive got one in my 120 and although he does get territorial at times and chances fish away, for the most part he is a very good fish. he has never actually nipped at another fish though, just chased them, so i think you should be ok :)

J. Montgomery
06/05/2007, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10085301#post10085301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel
Is it a Purple Dottyback or a Fridmani?
I'm not sure which one it was (and I don't really trust the labeling at this store either). I'm kind of getting the impression that this might not be a fish that I want. Its a good thing I checked into it and avoided the impulse buy :) Thanks everyone!

Bax
06/06/2007, 06:40 AM
Look for the dark band across the eyes, and full color in the fins, if it has these traits, it's a fridmani, and a much better choice for your tank. There's always one in my tank, they are great fish IMO.

Vitaly
06/06/2007, 12:58 PM
I have to agree with EdKruzel and Bax. I have had an Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) in my 65 for several months and he is a great fish (see my avatar). Hangs out around the rock work and keeps to himself, unless the wrasse gets too close to his lair. Gets along fine with the 2 clowns and 2 chromis in my tank.

The other fish is the Strawberry/Magenta/Purple Dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus) and though is a pretty fish...is much more aggressive and territorial that the Orchid.

Both are hardy and interesting fish to own and you should no write them off if you like them. However, if you do purchase one, it will limit other candidate fish that you could add to your 55 gallon.

As EdKruzel said you will not be able to keep more timid fish, like the Firefish Gobies, in a tank with the boisterous Dottybacks.

Sheol
06/06/2007, 01:25 PM
I don't think either the cardinals or the firefish will work with a purple dottyback. The orchid might be ok, the other would require damsels or other equally feisty fish to keep it in line..

Matthew

J. Montgomery
06/06/2007, 05:48 PM
I went back to the LFS this afternoon to give this "purple pseudochromis" a closer look. I didn't see any black banding, so I figured he's a purple dottyback . . . too bad, it's still a cool looking fish. The colors were a lot brighter than any pictures do it justice.

On a side question, since both firefish and yellow watchman gobies are "gobies", do they tend to get along?

willhoward
06/07/2007, 05:30 AM
I've got a Strawberry/Magenta/Purple Dottyback, and I must also say that it is alot brighter and much more colorful than in that picture, more like this:
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/4F87105E1B23485ABFEC7BE3D2D450B5G.jpg

But I have to admit, the temper isn't what I'd wish for. Most of the time the Strawberry Dottyback and the Firefish swin close to each other. But then sometimes out of nowhere the Dottyback chases the Firefish. The Firefish is very shy, and submissive, and will immediately shoot back to its hole. If it was just a quick chase, the Firefish will come back out again in 2 - 5min, but I've witnessed a rather vicious chase, and my Firefish didn't come out for 11days! until it became too hungry.

Also during feeding, the Dottyback will chase the Firefish away most of the time, but eventually he get's tired of doing that.

The Dottyback stands back for no fish. I've got a clown and a dwarfen angel, both bigger than the Strawberry, but he will dash for the food and stand his ground.

This might sound very bad, but after the clownfish, this fish receives the most attention from visitors.

So is the Fridmani less aggressive than the Strawberry? Should I try to find one that's been tank-bred to replace my Strawberry (tank-breds are usually less aggressive) coz I initially thought the Strawberry was the less aggressive one :confused:

green_frogspawn
06/07/2007, 05:42 AM
ive got a firegoby and a dottyback and they get along just fine, so i guess maybe im lucky then??

Bax
06/07/2007, 06:15 AM
As always, you have to apply the "each individual is different rule".

My first female fridmani ruled my 26 g tank with an iron fist. Not bullying, but in charge. I foolishly tried to add a candy hog and she beat it to death day one ... lesson learned.

I lost that female in a move, she just disappeared in the rock work of my 120g ?

My latest female is very cautious and although always out, hugs the rock work much more than my original. This one never starts any aggression and will dart away when it can but if cornered will stand her ground. If added last, I think it'll work with almost anything. If you don't have a large tank, do not add similar shaped and sized fish after establishing any pseudochromis, it won't be pretty.

I hope to introduce a male for her soon (I successfully paired my last female in a 75 g). One of my favorite fish, and as I said before, there will always be one in my tank.

willhoward
06/08/2007, 01:39 AM
Bax, how do you know the difference between male and female?

Bax
06/08/2007, 06:38 AM
Females grow broader across the belly and do not have a slightly saber-like pointedness to the lower portion of the tail that males do.

If I am not mistaken, they can change sex to suit the needs of a population, like clownfish, a male can become a female if there is none in the population and the female will dominate her territory.

I allow a single fish to mature to a female and then add a new male. At least, by chance, that's how it worked the first time so I am trying this approach again. You have to be very patient when adding a new fridmani as her first instinct is to kill anything purple. I floated my first male in a specimen jar for two weeks before subjecting him to the wrath of the established female, but within a week she accepted him.

I have also read where reefers have added several to a tank at once and allowed them to sort it out. You need lots of LR cover to attempt even a pair, it's a turbulent relationship at best, but fun to watch.

SDguy
06/08/2007, 07:48 AM
I have heard that the orchid is one of the few, if only, pseudos (and relatives) that won't destroy ornamental shrimp. Is this true?

revclyburn
06/08/2007, 08:14 AM
I love Purple Psuedos,

but I'm cautious about them too. I had one and around 6 peppermint shrimp. Mysteriously the shrimp started missing. One day, I saw something that looked like a antennae hanging from it's mouth. Upon close inspection, it was another peppermint shrimp. Homey figured they made great appetizers, and was enjoying him self to the free snacks. That was the last time I bought one. IMO, I would use caution when buying one when you have shrimp in the same tank.

edwin

falconut
06/08/2007, 10:26 AM
Wow, I surprised how many of you had a Purple Pseudo (Dottyback) in with a Firefish. I had a 44 gal. Petagon tank with a Firefish and added a Purple Pseudo and within 2 days the Pseudo bit the tail fin completely off and killed the Firefish. I wasn't able to get it out fast enough. So, the Pseudo went back and I'll never buy one again.

A somewhat similar fish I went with was the Royal Gramma. It's got the Purple, but also some Yellow. I've had two and both were completely fine with all the fish I've had. I've had my current Gramma is over 2 years. If you decide on a Gramma, just be sure you get a Gramma, not a Bicolor Pseudochromis.

Royal Gramma (below):
http://coris.noaa.gov/glossary/bar_186.jpg

Bicolor Pseudochromis (below):
http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/F8B956049ACC41F8A5BE6DB166749845.jpg

Since the Bicolor has the same personality as the Purple Dottyback. Hope this helps.

Bax
06/08/2007, 10:59 AM
I have had peppermint shrimp and fire shrimp disapear in my tank and suspect the fridmani.

revclyburn
06/08/2007, 01:10 PM
OK Bax,

will have to think about even getting a fridmani now

edwin

cuda6872
06/08/2007, 01:32 PM
I've had a purple psudochromis for over 4 years & is a favorite of mine but he has reeked some havok in my tank. He has chased out of the tank a 6 line wrasse, Ruby head fairy wrasse, fire fish & a coral beauty angel. All of which I found behind my tank dried out over a 2 year span. He has never picked on my canary blenny which is shocking to me. While adding some live "feeder shrimp" (young tiger shrimp 3-4" in length) He snached one up that was almost as long as he was, bit it in half, & ate the whole thing. But has never bothered my skunk, peppermint or boxer shrimps. He did spent a few weeks fighting with my blueline clown tang & eventualy got slapped in the eye by the tangs spur which I think blinded him in that eye as the pupil is a lot smaller than the other one 6 months after it has healed. (very tuff little guy, healed on his own without meds) Just last week I added a Red Cortez Cardinalfish & within 45 seconds bit him in the eye. Thankfully no ill effects from the bite & after that they seem to be getting along just fine. I hate to say it but the dottybacks are drama queens & like to start crap but they are amusing to watch. I compare mine to a barracuda as he will hover about mid-tank for a few minutes & then dart across the tank in a flash to pick something off the rocks. If you get one that is young, 2-3"max he might get along better with the other tankmates. Another fish to look into would be the fang blennies like the emerald head canary I have. Lot of personality like the dottybacks but not agressive towards other fish despite them having a venomous bite. Either way, both are favorites in my book. (no pun intended to all those who are writing the next must have reefkeepers book) Like most semi agressive fish it is a hit or miss on the personality/compatibilty of existing tankmates. If your not willing to risk it, don't try it. But if you do & it don't work out you will have to catch him & that isn't easy unless you know where he sleeps at night & you catch him snoozing. Hope this didn't add too much to your confusion. Best of luck to ya!

falconut
06/08/2007, 04:03 PM
As far as shrimp go. I've had Peppermint Shrimp, Small Cleaners, Coral Banded & Camel Shrimp and neither of my Royal Gramma's have eaten any. My current one is in with a Coral Banded Shrimp and a small Cleaner (about 1"). They seam to have one of the best temperments and also seam pretty shrimp safe. Just my experience.

stevedola
06/08/2007, 09:17 PM
they are mean as the day is long. they will eat your shrimp and terrorize your fire gobies till near death. i have a psuedo and hes beautiful but a monster.

willhoward
06/11/2007, 05:58 AM
My second clownfish has now passed his quarentine, and I want to put him in the tank. He is about 1 inch. Will the Strawberry go for him, of will it not see him as a thread and leave him alone? Will he be left alone coz he's not similar to the dottyback?

green_frogspawn
06/11/2007, 06:30 AM
it should be ok in a 250 litre...

Bax
06/11/2007, 06:48 AM
My clowns and fridmanis have always gotten along fairly well, any time you add a fish there could be some aggression. 250 ltr is about 65 gal, is that right? If so, depending upon your stocking levels, I don't think there would be trouble.

cuda6872
06/11/2007, 09:08 AM
When you float him in your display tank, make sure the bag is clear so the other fish can see him. Keep an eye on all that investigate & if you see anything that looks like a threatening posture from your other fish you might want to prepare a capture plan for the little guy incase you have to pull him back out.
My purple psudo. didn't pay any attention to the new clown that was added 2 years after he staked his claim on my tank. Come to think of it, he never bothered the clowns in any way, but the clowns do chase him away from their eggs when they feel he is getting too close. He doesn't even put up a fight. Guess he knows that when they hatch the clowns don't care if he eats the babies.

willhoward
06/12/2007, 05:16 AM
I've added the little clown last night and it went surprisingly well :)

Both the damsel and the Bicolor angel rushed to him, inspected him without touching him or threathening him, and then swam away.

Then came the big clown, and then I suspected some negative fibes, but nothing. The big clown came near the little one, inspected him, swam a bit away, pausing as to decide whether they should be friends and returned to the little one and the rest of the evening they swam happily together.

The Strawberry also came closer to have a look, and didn't seem to mind the clown, but when the Strawberry came too close to the new guy, the big clown would sort of chase him away.

So all's well ATM, will see how things are going when I get home from work.

Bax
06/12/2007, 05:38 AM
I'd say you just successfully paired your clowns! That is exactly how the first meeting went with my clown pair and they have been inseparable since.

Congrats!

green_frogspawn
06/12/2007, 06:15 AM
yeah i agree looks like its a nice pair you have there :)

cuda6872
06/12/2007, 09:30 AM
Congrats on the new addition! Just don't try to add another clown to the pair. They will kill it now that they are a pair. Happy Reefing!

willhoward
06/13/2007, 09:31 AM
No I won't :) I noted that the fist night I added the little clown, he went to sleep behind some live rock, far away from everyone. But this morning I noted that both clowns are still asleep in the big shell. So I'd agree: perfect matchmaking :P
(Still surprised that the Strawberry didn't try to do anything yet, hope it stays that way)

incloud
03/15/2013, 11:55 PM
Great thread. Just got a purple pseudochromis and would love an update on how yours is behaving. Thanks!

aquaph8
03/16/2013, 09:46 AM
The purple pseudo I had was one of the meanest fish I've had in twelve years, he beat up fish three times his size.

callibaetis
03/16/2013, 10:31 AM
I added a purple pseudo in to a 20 gallon that already had 2 occ clowns, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and about 10 snails. He has had no issues with the clowns or the fire shrimp, it seems that they get along OK. The peppermint however is a different story. He's head butted it in to permanent hiding. Peppy comes out at night, and that's about it. If he comes out during the day, he gets attacked. I've also started to have a few snails go missing. Do purple pseudos take out snails as well? Beautiful fish, but has a real attitude problem. I'm currently stocking a new 75 gallon and don't think I'd get another one for that tank.

reeferaddict
02/11/2015, 06:44 PM
I have a purple pseudo that lives w a clown in a 34gl 20" cube w 40lbs of rock
He kinda seems to dominate the tank but I really would like to add a dwarf angel and a yellow watchman goby w a pistol shrimp.. also wanna keep ornamental shrimp like peppermints.. should I try to remove the Psuedo 1st or chance it? If so.... any advice on how-- its a densely reef tank
thanks