PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips

happyface888
06/05/2007, 07:03 PM
Helping friend set up tank and has a fish that seems stressed out and its been a day but it keeps swiming against the glass is there a way to stop it from stressing out so it wont get sick?

pinkie
06/05/2007, 07:20 PM
Many fish just need time. Keep in mind most of these fish have spent the majority of their life in the limitless ocean, now they are in a completely different enclosed environment, stress is to be expected. It has only been a day and I wouldn't worry. My blue girdled angelfish spent the first week in the corner of the tank. Now she is very active, and very healthy. I wouldn't worry about the fish too much yet. One thing you may want to make sure you do is to keep lighting low. Bring lights can cause stress on new additions, just as no light can.

kevin2000
06/05/2007, 07:51 PM
Make sure the fish has plenty of spots to hide. Subdued lighting will help. Stay away from the tank and if the tank is in a high traffic area you can wrap the tank in some paper gradually lowering the paper over the next couple of weeks .. gives the fish time to acclimate.

Just remember .. the fish has to slowly get used to captivity and everything that entails (new food as well as you).

Hope this helps.

happyface888
06/05/2007, 08:34 PM
thanks for the feed back, ok no lights and covering the tanks seems interesting going to tell him. Thanks again.

pinkie
06/05/2007, 09:00 PM
Making it pitch black can also be very stressful though. In the ocean there is always some light, if not from the sun, then from the Moon. Turning out the tank lights and having a room light on or a hallway light can be enough to give him a sense of security without making him panic from it being pitch black in the tank.