PDA

View Full Version : Gigas eating fish

akwtampa
06/06/2007, 12:24 PM
I've been adding clams to my tank recently after having had a deresa and crocea in there a while and looking perfectly healthy..

In the last 3 weeks, I've added a 6", 9" and 12" gigas to the tank.. Problem arose, however, when I noticed on Friday of last week that they weren't opening up quite as nicely as they had been.. then on Monday, I noticed on at least 3 occasions in as many hours that my Foxface was running dive missions on both of the bigger ones, tanking a couple of bites each time, and causing the clams to react.. When I really started watching, I also noticed that my Coral Beauty is nipping at the mantle of the smaller gigas..

Is there something I'm missing as to why they would start picking on these particular clams? They all came from established tanks and have great extension when the fish leave them alone.. I don't want them to end up dead because these fish are nipping..

Any suggestions?

Gluestick
06/06/2007, 12:29 PM
The coral beauty is notorious for picking at clams anyway, even if it has lived with them for a long period of time. They can just kind of turn on them... The foxface, though, I thought was strictly herbivorous, although I could be wrong because I do not have any personal experience with these fish.

akwtampa
06/06/2007, 12:45 PM
The Foxface was and still is definately picking at the two bigger ones.. Oddly, though, even though the Deresa is right next to him, it doesn't get bitten..

Odd to me.. I may end up having to remove those two..

CMcNeil
06/10/2007, 08:55 AM
akwtampa my CBB only picked on my crocea clams.he never bothered my derasas or maximas,just the croceas.i guess he likes the colors more.