PDA

View Full Version : Chaetomorpha ?

danielmanlee
06/06/2007, 12:40 PM
Good day everyone... I have hear that Chaeto is good for Nitrate problem... now I curently run a 72 gal tank with a 15 gal sump.. I don't have refug.. and my sump already have a heater, skimmer a uv and a return pump..Can i Place the chaeto in the sump? Will it cause problem for my equipment?( meaning will they clog my pump) please help??

an411
06/06/2007, 01:02 PM
I am no expert but cheato I believe is suppose to help with micro algae. I am placing my cheato in my sump I have dividers in my sump it cant get sucked into the sump

barbra
06/06/2007, 01:36 PM
danielmanlee: Chaeto needs light in order to grow. You may or may not want to light your sump. If it gets sucked into your pump, yes... it will probably clog it.

arsenuts411: Chaeto does remove nitrate, therefore reducing the algae problems.

bertoni
06/06/2007, 06:18 PM
Growing and harvesting the Chaetomorpha will remove nutrients from the system, and thus usually helps with nitrate problems. I've put Chaetomorpha into display tanks with fine results, but the tanks are small, so it'd be easy to remove all the alga if I wanted to do so. Otherwise, a lighted area in the sump away from the pump inputs or a new refugium area would be needed.

SWpsycho
06/06/2007, 06:25 PM
Its also a great place for lil pods to hide and reproduce!!