PDA

View Full Version : 600g Project

bdickens
06/06/2007, 02:44 PM
I am in the early stages of a 600 gal fish project. While I don't plan on keeping too much in the way of live corals, I do plan some inverts. I have had SW aquariums before (up to 125) but I had to move and decided to start all over. By way of description, the tank is more of a raised outdoor pond under the house, 96"x48"x30. There will be a video camera inside feeding images to the home video system. We plan to keep local (Gulf Alabama) fish, so I get to catch my livestock. I have two basic questions. One on SW, one on controllers.

The plan is to use natural SW but I have a choice of sources.

Question 1: Is there any way to safely remove Tanin without creating so much expense I would be better off making or driving to get it ?

I live close enough to a natural estuary to get SW from the bayou. The water tests as very nearly to almost purely SW (0.023 to .026). But the water has some Tanin in it (pine trees)

I could also get it from my boat when I go out. I have a couple of 20 Gal bait wells. Pesky but workable.

Question 2: What do you all use for automated control. I'm reasonably adept at software, and I planned on creating an automated controller. But I'm up for off the shelf, if someone can recommend one of the units. Any thoughts ?

Thanks. I'm enjoying reading these comments.

green_frogspawn
06/06/2007, 09:25 PM
Q2: i think the aquacontroller is pretty good, lots and features and timers