PDA

View Full Version : My Sohal died!

hermitage
06/06/2007, 06:28 PM
Well...yesterday morning my 4" Sohal was behaving and eating normally...by noon he had this big swollen "welt" on his left side. The welt looked like the surface of a Qtip, it was white, and was the size of a tic-tac. There were small "fibers" sticking out, and I could see his stripes underneath. So it wasn't a battle wound from a scuffle with tankmates. He didn't eat at noon, and skipped dinner also.

The whole time he was breathing heavily, and just stayed in 1 spot from noon all the way until 7am this morning. This morning I noticed the welt was now on his right side also. Couldn't do much then, I had to hit the road for work. I recieved a phone call from my wife at 10am saying the fish was dead.

He was Qt'd for 6weeks. He was being fed Angel forula, Forula 2, Nori and Mysis Shrimp..all were soaked in Kent Zoe prior to feeding. I'm anal about water quality. Nitrates/nitrites/ammonia are 0, PH 8.3, Spg, 1.026, temp 80 +/- .5. There was little aggression in the tank which is a 210, with 250lbs of LR.

He went from fine to dead in less than 24 hrs.

Anyone have any ideas what killed my fish? Bacterial? Should I be thinking about hospitalizing all my fish (9" Volitans Lion, 1" Yellowtail Damsel, 4" Emperor Angel, and 5" Harlequin Tusk). So far, all other fish look normal.

Thanks all

frederickk
06/07/2007, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. All your parameters seems ok to me. Sometimes fish just die like that for no other chemical reason.

It did happen to me with my hippo tang. He was heathy and fat and one night he just past away just like that for no reason.

ghostrida3
06/07/2007, 03:28 PM
the growth sounds like some kind of fungal infection to me. that sucks though. u invest so much time and care into ur fish, qt them for 6weeks, and feeding them properly and then somthin just comes out of nowhere. Sorry for ur loss.

hermitage
06/07/2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I attached a pic right after the fish was removed. My wife didn't take the best pics. Sorry for the blurry image. There was only one of the white growths 20 hrs earlier, and it was the size of a qtip at the time. By the time this pic was taken, it covered both sides of the fish.

Anyone know what this is? Bloat?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/119204Dead_Sohal.JPG

easye123
06/07/2007, 05:24 PM
that is horrrrible!!!!!!!!!!!! u said there were fibers on his eye maybe he got stung by a bristal worm at night in the eye and he got sick and died

hermitage
06/07/2007, 05:28 PM
I hate losing fish, makes me sick to my stomach!

ghostrida3
06/07/2007, 06:11 PM
i know especially high end fish like the sohal. losing a goldfish or a damsel doesnt phase me but a sohal that hurts. people get in this hobby just to keep those. i mean its the reefcentral mascot for goodnes sakes. ouch. but anyways hopefully u can diagnose it so u wont lose anything else to this.

waterfaller1
06/07/2007, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10092174#post10092174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hermitage
(9" Volitans Lion, .
Looks like he got stung to me.

hermitage
06/07/2007, 06:56 PM
You know...I didn't even think that he could've gotten stung. I was intantly thinking disease. He never showed any aggression towards the Lion, or any fish for that matter.

Have you actually seen the reaction of a lionfish sting on a fish?

CeeGee
06/07/2007, 06:59 PM
look at the bright side at least your dog didn't die like mine did. I came home from work and she was dead and I had to bury her. :(

I will trade with you!

d4a2n0k
06/07/2007, 07:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10099347#post10099347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hermitage
You know...I didn't even think that he could've gotten stung. I was intantly thinking disease. He never showed any aggression towards the Lion, or any fish for that matter.

Have you actually seen the reaction of a lionfish sting on a fish?

There doesnt have to be any aggression. Those are the breaks when you put a venomous fish in your tank. The Lions spines are sort of like spring loaded. When they hit something, the spines blast out the venom. All it would take is for the Sohal to bump into his dorsal spines and they release the venom whether the Lion wants to or not.

For a previously healthy fish to go south that fast I would bet he took a hit from a few of the spines.

nosferatu51
06/07/2007, 08:46 PM
Lion was a good call, never would have thought of that. When I read the description it almost sounded like an infection and resultant sepsis (in humans) which is essentially a toxicity. Venom I'm sure would act similarly on a fish. Sounds like the issue is solved although I'm sure it doesn't make it any better.

Note: Don't blame the lion, he probably didn't even do it. Call it a fatal fish tank fender bender.