PDA

View Full Version : 65 stock list!!!!!

AaronKelly
06/07/2007, 01:28 AM
im thinking about this for a 65 gal stock list... ive done a lot of research but any input would be nice...

yellow longnose butterfly
pair true perculas
seahorse
blue hippo tang
pair of leopard wrasses

i just recently downgraded from a 125 and got rid of most of my stock and are looking to start over.. please let me know what you think of this list... thank you for the help..
sincerely,
aaron

AaronKelly
06/07/2007, 01:45 AM
sorry for the double post... the seahorse is completely optional... probably wont put it in the tank but i wanted to throw it out there... something for the mom to look at, keep her interested in the tank :-)

davidbryden
06/07/2007, 01:49 AM
get rid of the seahorse they don't like to be by themselves and are best in species tanks

buzzer
06/07/2007, 04:29 AM
I agree about the seahorse as I very much doubt they would survive in a community tank.
The hippo tang will also get 10 inches or bigger and in that size tank would engulfe the swimming space and stress the animal.
Dont know much about the butterfly but once again can get quite big and alot of butterflies are hard to keep.
On liveaquaria the care level for leopard wrasses are EXPERT ONLY.
I have a 36 * 24 *18 and I have the following as an example.
2 oscellaris clowns
3 green chromis
1 midas blenny
1 royal gramma
1 lemonpeel angel
1 firefish
1 yellow clown goby

and various amounts of soft and hard coral.
HTH

DSMpunk
06/07/2007, 07:24 AM
I think the only things on that list I would put in a 65g would be the clowns. Is this going to be a reef tank or FO?

Travis L. Stevens
06/07/2007, 08:27 AM
yellow longnose butterfly: While it would be fine with the space in that size tank, the actual survivability of these gorgeous fish are slim. I wouldn't add them.
pair true perculas: Perfect tank for them.
seahorse: For a general reef tank, the seahorse would be misplaced and not do well at all. They really would need their own species specific tank.
blue hippo tang: They grow far too large and need vasts amounts of room to swim. Either skip tangs altogether or find anything the size of a Yellow Tang or smaller (IE Kole Tang would be ideal)
pair of leopard wrasses: A pair only if you can make sure they are a mated pair. Other than that, they will fight. I recommend single specimens.

michaeldaly
06/07/2007, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure on the dimensions of your tank, but generally the longer it is the bigger the fish you can put into it.

yellow longnose butterfly - Will be fine, I have CBB in a 65 and the yn is supposedly much easier to keep

pair true perculas - fine

seahorse - I'd leave this one out, could get harassed by the other fish and likes low flow and light

blue hippo tang - Probably not, get rather large, mabey for the first year or two

pair of leopard wrasses - Ok

DouglasTiede
06/07/2007, 09:22 AM
one of my tanks is a 75g reef w/30g fuge and the fish I have are as follows:
1 Mandarin ( fat and very happy! )
----------
I have a 30g small reef with 5 percs and 2 1" long Hippos, They will be moved when they are a little bigger. 4 neon golbys.
-----------
I also have a 40g reef with a Dragon Wrasse
-----------
wife has a 180g mixed reef with 4 violta lions, 1 fuzzy yellow dwarf, a panter grouper, a 2" long clown trigger and a 6" sailfin tang, a 7" Koran Angel and a 7" yellow tang.
-----------
The idea with our tangs is that when I get my 220g they will go into that and it will be set up as a Tang/Reef tank.
----------
We also have a 20g QT and a 40g QT, and a 10g QT

AaronKelly
06/07/2007, 11:08 AM
thanks guys for your input...
1.im going to decide whether or not i want a copperband or a yellow longnose after i do some more research at various sites and books.
2. the percs i am def keeping
3. seahorse can go i didnt really want that but i need something to keep my mom interested in the tank so i might just get a starfish :-)
4. since the bue hippo tang gets to big are there any tangs possible to keep in a 65?
5. and yes i will be getting a mated pair of leopard wrasses. ive seen them at my local lfs and they are very good looking.

aaron