PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No, 8-10" Snowflake moray in 55g reef

mile sq. reefer
06/07/2007, 08:55 AM
Good idea or no? Established 3yr old dom. SPS/ LPS. Fish list, equipment list in profile. Thanks.

johno4
06/07/2007, 09:08 AM
up to you, it will add a lot to the bio load when bigger so water quality might be an issue. Also inverts will be in trouble, so depends on how much you like inverts.

jrobison
06/07/2007, 10:39 AM
inverts will be in trouble and eventually fish too.

bassettmd
06/07/2007, 12:47 PM
I think it depends upon the eels personality, mine is a model citizen... has not touched my baby maroon clown, blood shrimp, or coral banded shrimp, or any of my other fish for that matter. Make sure your rocks and corals are secure so he cannot knock anything over. My tank is a 65 gallon and I run a high bio load with a POS coralife super skimmer (that does nothing) and my nitrates have been 0 for the past two months. Some more specs can be found in my sig. PM me if you have any questions

DamnPepShrimp
06/07/2007, 12:55 PM
I have a 6-7" SFE in my sump, he was with some damsels, he chased them around when it came to feeding time or if he just felt like it. I feed him constantly, probably 2-3 pieces of clam usually everyday. He is a monster, not a model citizen at all, but I love em! He has personality and very cool, he would do horrors in a reef tank though. Every fish, eel, invert is different, worse comes to worse, just find him a new home if things go bad.

johno4
06/07/2007, 03:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10095989#post10095989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrobison
... and eventually fish too.

Not usually true, snowflake eels do not eat fish in the wild. If they are going after fish they must be either really hungry or an unusual sf eel.

LionfishFinatic
06/07/2007, 03:29 PM
SFE are not fish eaters as most people believe them to be " they're eels so they must eat fish" most people say. SFE's are pebble toothed eels which means they eat crustaceans and invertebrates.

and to answer your question, yes you can keep a SFE in a 55 gal. reef, but make sure all rockwork and corals are glued down as the SFE might knock down any or all of it. HTH

justinl
06/07/2007, 04:42 PM
yup, what lionfish fanatic said. smaller inverts are in trouble, fish should be okay, rockwork needs to be very sturdy.

also, you'll need a lid as the number one cause of death in eels is their ability to slither out of ANY hole big enough to fit through. SFEs are the worst among eels for this habit.

snapper1
06/08/2007, 12:51 PM
Yes have had one with a Grouper and Trigger forever and a Day no problems.

DamnPepShrimp
06/08/2007, 10:21 PM
My SFE has tried to eat my damsels, but that was during feeding time. I would dump in food for the damsels and he would come out chasing them. He eventually nipped one of their tails. Then I would feed him, and all would be good. He is a crazy monster, not like the typical SFE, just goes to show how unique and individual each fish/eel can be.

LisaD
06/18/2007, 08:53 AM
My zebra moray of many years was a model citizen, never bothered a fish and was never an aggressive eater. This changed several months ago when I added a Brazilian dragon moray to the tank. Now the zebra (who is not eating any less) is so competitive and aggressive for food that it has (twice!) grabbed my Indian trigger by the head and dragged it under the rocks during a feeding frenzy! Luckily, the trigger survived, but feeding now is an exercise in making sure everyone gets food in front of their face at the same time!

My zebra is totally different in temperament now. It is out a lot more, seems a lot hungrier than it used to.

Anyone else see personality changes like this when changing the mix of fish?

It still isn't a fish eater, just creating collateral damage due to its crazy feeding now. The trigger has learned (slowly) to give the eel its space...