PDA

View Full Version : 20L lighting questions...

Sink Colin Sink
06/07/2007, 05:02 PM
So, I'm still in the planning stages of my 20 long, and I have some questions

I'm planning and mainly keeping LPS and softies, but I've always been fascinated with Metal Halide lighting, and the shimmer it gives off.

So

Would it be more benficial to have say a 130 Watt PC light over a 30" tank, or a 70W Metal Halide Viper clamp on light?

Will 70 watts over a tank this long give me heat problems if I'm going open top?

Which light should I go for?

Aimforever
06/07/2007, 05:12 PM
IME, a single 70W halide will give you a bright spot in the middle and not enough light on the ends of a 20L. If it were a 20H I would say go with the halide, but since we are talking about a very shallow tank with 30 inch width, you would be better off with T5s or CF.

I have a 20L with several softies, zoas, leathers, and mushrooms.... and it is lit by 2 measly 22W T5 bulbs, and everything is thriving. You would be amazed at how bright this tank looks with only 2 T5s. I also have a 30 inch wide, 37gallon tank that has over 4 times the wattage, but really isn't any brighter b/c of the increased depth.

I really think the key here is to spread the light, since it is sooo shallow. Not to mention it would be a PITA to have to deal with heat issues... Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Sink Colin Sink
06/07/2007, 05:54 PM
I see I see, it's looking like the CP is going to be the better choice.

If I just plan on keeping easy LPS and softies, would I be able to pull off 65W of CP lighting?

Crackerballer
06/07/2007, 06:09 PM
LPAbsolute (I think that is his s/n) has a great 20L that he runs some hellolights.com retrofits in a custom canopy. I personally, if I decide to set up my 20l, will be going with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coralife-30-Lunar-Aqualight-2-65W-PC-1-10k-1-Actinic_W0QQitemZ110114642513QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

130 watts PC with lunars and legs. The tank is so shallow I just think there is no need for MH.

Saltwater_Dog
06/07/2007, 06:17 PM
I would go with PC's. It would be a good choice.

spoon671
06/07/2007, 06:33 PM
Oh man, is this an easy descision or what? Your only option should be no less than a Giesemann Nova II 150w Metal Halide HQI pendant. Get yours here...

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_geisemann_nova_2_ii_hqi_pendant.asp?CartId=

spoon671
06/07/2007, 06:35 PM
My 20 Long w/Giesemann Nova II 150w Metal Halide HQI (14500K).

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/2805/fulltank2pn7.jpg

morbius18
06/07/2007, 06:45 PM
But you can see where the left and right side doesn't get the full intensity of the light. Its fine if you have lower light corals on L&R, but for equal , I'd have to say T5s or PC.

spoon671
06/07/2007, 06:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10099265#post10099265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by morbius18
But you can see where the left and right side doesn't get the full intensity of the light. Its fine if you have lower light corals on L&R, but for equal , I'd have to say T5s or PC.

You are spot on! If you want your tank to be 100% evenly illuminated by equal intensity light, this light fixture may not be for you. If you can find a dual 70w MH setup, that might better cover the entire area of the tank.

I am a huge fan of open top setups. Running an open top, a small amount of light is likely to "leak" out, away from the tank. Because I value a tank with sort of a "dramatic" ambiance, I value the look a tank gives when lit using metal halides, and even better, a single metal halide. This is just me, but everyone values certain characteristics of a marine system over others. Question is, what sort of look are YOU after? Be specific and remember, you get what you pay for. DO NOT skimp on the lighting.

Sink Colin Sink
06/07/2007, 07:07 PM
That MH fixture is WAAAY out of my budget

But it IS oh so pretty.....

Anyways, do you think Zoo's and other low light softies would to well under 65W PC, or would 120 be better for them?

OR

Should I go ahead and get that 70W Metal Halide?

I am in love with the way one halide looks over a tank, it's just so... awesome. And this I way I could put the higher light corals in the middle, and the lower ones on the sides.

How do the Viper K2 fixtures hold up? Would I have heat issues going open top?

spoon671
06/07/2007, 07:10 PM
Don't skimp man. What's your lighting budget? You don't have to get a Giesemann. There are plenty of affordable MH pendants out there.

Sink Colin Sink
06/07/2007, 07:13 PM
I'm trying to do lighting for under 200 USD, but for something that has a lot of bang for buck, I could stretch it to 300 USD.

But then I have this other idea in my mind about having a mantis shrimp... are they compatible with zoanthid corals?

Sorry for all the random questions, I'm kind of indecisive! But then it it's better to ask than to never know!

Nashvegas1
06/07/2007, 07:31 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that 130 watt PC is a lot of light for such a shallow tank. I would go with the 70 wat halide but, also get a single strip T5 to light up the other sides of the tank.

d4a2n0k
06/07/2007, 07:38 PM
If you stagger a 4 x 24w T-5 retro fit you could keep anything you want. A 2 x 24w T-5 setup would let you keep softies and LPS with some lower light SPS.

Crackerballer
06/07/2007, 07:41 PM
Damn for near $300 you could get something serious on here if you watch the for sale forum. The light I suggested would let you spend the other money on a HOB skimmer AND DIY AC70/AC110 fuge mod.

Sink Colin Sink
06/07/2007, 07:43 PM
I'm not really interested in the more light demanding corals, to be honest.

And after reading that very entertaining mantis shrimp thread in the mantis forum, I really would like one in the tank.

The thing is, I've only seen them kept with Zoo's...

So if they're only compatible with Zoo's, would 65W PC be enough for them?

If not, and Mantis's are compatible with most corals, I'll definitely go with the 70W Metal Halide ViperK2.

GreenPuffers
06/07/2007, 08:26 PM
I have PCs on my 20L and I love them. My zoos are doing great. I have a couple LPS and a few SPS that are doing very well. The tank is shallow and the lights really penatrate well. I like mine and they are easy to use.

spoon671
06/07/2007, 08:34 PM
I used to have PC's back in the day, payed a fortune for the setup too. Then, whaddaya know, I went and spent ANOTHER fortune on the lighting I have today. I only had PC's for about a year or so and grew tired of them within that time.

I kept going to all of my buddys houses and checking out their MH lit tanks. Of course all of my LFSs have MH lit tanks, and they all look awesome. "I want my tank to look like that too!" I shouldn't have to say this to anyone, DO NOT skimp on your lighting. Spend a few dollars now and you'll be satisfied for a long time. I mean, that shimmering sea bottom is all the more worth it, don'tcha think?

Sink Colin Sink
06/07/2007, 08:40 PM
GreenPuffers: How many watts are you running?

Spoon: I'm most likely going to heed your advice, I too love that MH shimmer. But if I can get away with 65W PC (inexpensive) until I get the Viper, that's the route I'll go.

10" Red Devil
06/07/2007, 08:45 PM
PC lighting has the worst color of all the lighting options, I have never looked at any coral under PC lighting that looked nice.

Nice thing about the Halide is in a way it is the end all of lighting for a tank. If you do decide to try more light demanding coral (you will, everyone starts out saying they wont and then that amazing colored stick comes along and they have to have it) the fixture will still be good and it may even be used on a larger tank depending on the depth.

T5's are great if you want to be able to keep things at the extremities of the tank horizontally and vertically to an extent much greater then halide, it also has the advantage of being a lot cooler then the Halide. They also make corals look great.

In regards to T5's over a 20 long, be aware that the bulbs go from 24" to 36" which as you may know the 20long is 30" long so you will either have to be happy with a pendant that lights 24" of the tank or you will have to get a canopy for the tank and retrofit some into the canopy in which case you will have to stagger the bulbs so that you get illumination over the whole of the tank.

sabbath
06/07/2007, 08:46 PM
You can't beat the natural look of MH. IMO ! look at one in person 1st.

SeaMac2
06/07/2007, 08:54 PM
Personally, I think VHOs have the worst color...I run them, and hate that pink glow everyday! ;)

I think you really can't go wrong with the suggestions above...it will come down to preference and budget. Do you mind having the darker areas on the ends or would you be OK with that? Will you miss the glitter lines? How much will bulb replacement cost you, and how often will you have to change the bulbs in each of the above setups? All things to think about...

I would go with PCs or T5s for your setup. I ran a 2x55w PC retro fit in hood I built for about $25 over a 20H for 2 years and everything thrived...softies, LPS, green BTAs. I thought everything looked great, but then again I'm comparing fond memories to my currently pink VHO lit tank. :D

Chris

Sink Colin Sink
06/07/2007, 09:06 PM
I think I'm going to go with the viper k2.

And a mantis in there too.

=)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I think the Viper will be exactly what I'm looking for!

rssjsb
06/07/2007, 09:16 PM
Sounds like you've made up your mind, but I'll tell you that a 70 watt MH light is dim dim dim. I've got a 70 watt aquamedic pendant over a FW tank and was shocked at how little light it puts out. I've heard mixed reviews on the viper, but I understand it's a cheaper option.

For the money, with what you want to keep, I'd try to find a 130 watt pc fixture on craigs list or ebay or somewhere.

morbius18
06/07/2007, 09:44 PM
I have to agree on the MH lighting as well. I had t5s then PC, and I eventually just bought a MH fixture ( I did what spoon did) because I really like the shadows, the constrast and the glitter lines. I ended getting a 150 over my tank instead of a 70, and am really glad that I did.

spoon671
06/07/2007, 09:46 PM
eBay's got some MH fixtures that you may want to look at, Colin.

Giesemann Nova II 150w
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140125950663&rd=1&rd=1

Also, I just took a look at that "Viper" thing you are considering, and I must advise that you go with the 150w version. Only $40 more for over 2x the light.

morbius18
06/07/2007, 09:47 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/507/109063tank2.jpg
You can see the contrast and the darker areas.

spoon671
06/07/2007, 09:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10100620#post10100620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by morbius18
I have to agree on the MH lighting as well. I had t5s then PC, and I eventually just bought a MH fixture ( I did what spoon did) because I really like the shadows, the constrast and the glitter lines. I ended getting a 150 over my tank instead of a 70, and am really glad that I did.

I think a majority of aquarists do this very same thing we did. They would save so much money if they just go with the end-all Metal Halide setup, no matter what the tank size there is no comparison to the beauty of MH.

Offtopic, hey morbius18! I was 11B from 1998-2002 stationed in Schofield Barracks, HI. 25th ID CCo 1st Btn. 27th INF. "Wolfhounds".