PDA

View Full Version : Sedra 5000 support

Shouse94
06/08/2007, 05:01 PM
Hey,
I'm a proud owner of a ASM G-3 but lately the pump, Sedra 5000, has been acting up. It's stopped on me a few times in the last couple weeks but has always started back up on it's own after a couple seconds. Recently it has stopped and will no turn back on. Fiddling with the impeller did fix the issue for about a couple days but it was only a matter of time before it cut out again.

I have no idea how to disassemble the pump besides the impeller shaft or if you even can. I speculate you can't. I've owned it for probably about 2 years and haven't taken anything apart besides the impeller to be cleaned (haven't had a big coralline problem). Does anyone have any suggestions what i should try or if it i should call it dead???
Finally, If i do need to get a new pump, what would you recommend doing? I've heard a couple rumors of different pumps doing the job for cheaper. I would love to go cheaper, but not sacrificing on performance. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Pete

atvdave
06/08/2007, 05:38 PM
You need to take the front cover off and remove the impeller assy.

The front cover just twists off, just be careful you don't brake the stop tabs off.

If you can soak the impeller & shaft in vinegar over night, if not just clean it up the best you can.

Vinegar will remove calcium build up and other junk off of it.

Shouse94
06/15/2007, 08:17 AM
But like i was saying, there is no calcium buildup. The thing is pretty clean.

RichConley
06/15/2007, 08:54 AM
Does the impellar look swelled?

FWIW, you wont find performance lower than the Sedra 5000. Pretty much anything you replace it will work better.

Ocean Runner, or Genx.