PDA

View Full Version : Flakes w/ Garlic additive problem

happyface888
06/08/2007, 09:40 PM
Ok I bought some New life spectrum with Garlic added in it. I want to help my fish build up their immune system to fight off ich, but I noticed that they'd eat it than spit it back out. If they spit it back out are they eatting any of it or none? the flakes are pretty big. I tried fresh diced garlics and they dont eat it. any idea why my fish dont like garlic or do they have to get use to the taste and eventually eat it? This is the first time I used flakes with garlic in it.

petoonia
06/08/2007, 09:53 PM
You could try regular frozen foods, and mix some garlic in with it. Or buy some type of garlic supplement and mix in a few drops. What type of fish do you have?

happyface888
06/08/2007, 10:13 PM
hippo tang, yellow tang, pair of false percs and they all spite it out, I tried mixing freshly chopped garlic in food mixes and they dont even eat it. When they eat the food and spit it back out are they acutally getting any or its all back out when they spit.

petoonia
06/08/2007, 10:25 PM
If they are spitting it out then they probably arent eating any of it. If you really want to use garlic I would try gradually introducing it. Or try it with a variety of foods. You might have better luck mashing the garlic and just adding a few drops of the liquid. Try mixing it with emerald entree, my fish love it!!!!

happyface888
06/08/2007, 10:41 PM
I have been feeding diced up garlic added to flakes for about a month and they dont like to eat the garlic and today I got the flakes and they spite it out. It seems that garlic extreme works I think but when food is soaked in garlic the garlic leaves the the food when it enters the tank right?

CarlC
06/09/2007, 08:55 AM
Keep trying the garlic but if you want a real proven immune system booster add Beta Glucon to the food.

As for building their immune systems to prevent ich, quarintine anything wet you are going to add and you'll never have to worry.

Carl