PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading from EOS digital rebel to Xti?

Xirxes23
06/09/2007, 08:38 AM
Will i see a big improvement from the 6.3 MP EOS digital rebel to the 10.1 Xti?

Worth the money?

If so how will i see this upgrade functionally, not just post pic editing?

BlueCorn
06/09/2007, 10:17 AM
Unless you're making large prints you're not getting much else out of the move. What's your lens lineup look like? If you're looking to improve the quality of your images it you'll likely be better off spending the money on glass.

jwedehase
06/09/2007, 05:35 PM
I agree. I wouldn't spend the money there. Save it for the lenses!

Xirxes23
06/09/2007, 08:10 PM
I have the Tamron 90mm Macro, a tamron 75-350(?) telephoto and the 18-55mm that came with the camera.

I dont use flash on my shots, and one thing that i would really like to see is a lens that will allow me to have a greater macro working distance, and to not have to have such long exposures... Not quite sure what its called, but are there lenses that have better "light management" so that i can possibly take an indoor 13-18 aperature shot without haveing to have a 3-8 second exposure time?

Maybe a good flash would benefit me here? What flash would work well for in tank shots to produce natural looking color?

Just looking for a better picture, getting info on weather more megapixels, a good flash(i dont have one other than on body) or a new lens will do the trick!

Thanks for any advice.

Xirxes23
06/10/2007, 08:10 AM
bump

BlueCorn
06/10/2007, 08:21 AM
I think that your last post threw folks for a loop. ;)

This would be a good first step:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/gr/index.php

Aperture is the amount of light allowed through the lens. A large number is a small opening and vice-versa. There is no such thing as "light management" in lenses. All lenses, set at the same aperture, will have the same exposure values. The only way to shorten that exposure is to:

Add more light. (flash or what ever)
Increase the ISO
Use a wider aperture (smaller number)

What you may be thinking of is image stabilization or IS. It's a lens technology, in Canon cameras, that detects and corrects camera shake. It allows you to take a steady shot a couple of "stops" slower than you normally could.

The weak link in your setup above is the kit lens and that 75-350. The Tokina 12-24 f/4 and a used Canon 24-105 f/4 IS could make a big difference.

Xirxes23
06/10/2007, 03:34 PM
Well what flashes are recommended for tank shots then? Whether remote, circular, dual flash around lens, whatever, just something thats going to give me good light with my unit in an aquarium.

I like that IS lens! i think i will pick one of those up. Is there a macro with IS?

Thanks for the info

Gisho
06/11/2007, 05:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10108790#post10108790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Xirxes23
Will i see a big improvement from the 6.3 MP EOS digital rebel to the 10.1 Xti?

Worth the money?

If so how will i see this upgrade functionally, not just post pic editing?

So let me get this straight, you are talking about going from a 300D rebel (first generation digital rebel) to the 400D rebel xti, correct?

If so, then yes, in my opinion definitely worth the upgrade.

I went from the XT (350D) to the XTi, and personally, I don't think it was worth the $. Besides the larger screen, self-cleaning sensor, and a couple other small improvements of the XTI, the picture quality and flexibility was pretty equal.

Just my .02 cents.

Gisho
06/11/2007, 05:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10115793#post10115793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Xirxes23
Well what flashes are recommended for tank shots then? Whether remote, circular, dual flash around lens, whatever, just something thats going to give me good light with my unit in an aquarium.

I like that IS lens! i think i will pick one of those up. Is there a macro with IS?

Thanks for the info

Remote flash works. I don't think they make macros with IS. I know that the famed canon ef 100mm f2.8 is non-IS. I have this lens and love it. Realize that most people use tripods for macros and remote exposure switches, so camera-shake isn't as much an issue, nor is low-light situations, and hence you don't really need the IS.

I am no expert though, so wait for Beerguy and those guys to chime in here.

jedininja
06/13/2007, 02:02 PM
I would really spend the money on better lens instead of a new camera. Unless you are printing 16x20 prints, theres no real need for the upgrade. The 300D can give you good 8x10 prints and even 11x14 with sharp shots. For the money you are spending on a new camera, you can get a pretty nice lens.

For shorter exposure times, bump the ISO up. Even at an ISO of 800, you dont get too much noise on the 300D. And any noise you do hve can easily be cleaned up in post processing. But as said, even more important than the ISO is using a tripod.

Xirxes23
06/13/2007, 09:43 PM
I have an offer for 400 for my current 300D, so the upgrade to the 10.1 XTi would really only cost me 400. This is what is still driving me towards the body upgrade, because the 24-105 IS canon lens will cost me about 8-900 used, and 12-1300 new!

I would like to start taking very large scale shots to make framed prints for sale/personal art around the house. So the Body upgrade there would benefit, but still i am also planning on picking up a year student pass to the Wild animal park/ Zoo so i will need a good walk around lens as well! Difficult spot.

Speaking of the zoo/wild animal park, will a stabilizing monopod help a lot, or is it a bit too cumbersome for a walk around shot addition?

jedininja
06/13/2007, 09:55 PM
If you are loking to sell pictures, then a lens pgrade will do wonders more than a body ever will. What is most important in photography equipment is something that will give you sharp pictures with good contrast and color. A body will not do that for you. For the purposes you are looking for, look into the 70-200L F4 lens for only about $500.

With an upgraded body, you will still have to get a good lens for wildlife and portraits. The only lens in your lineup that is decent is the macro. You will find that a good lens collection will cost you many times that of the body.

Gisho
06/13/2007, 10:42 PM
Justin,

Good talkin to you man. Hopefully you got/get my e-mail and pictures.

After a lot of research, shopping, and posing the question on this forum and getting some great advice, I finally decided on the 24-105 F4L IS lens as my walk-around lens for my 30D. Let me tell you it is worth the every penny and I got it new for $1050. I got it locally from www.canogacameras.com which is a very good shop.

Despite what some are saying here (although I do wholeheartedly agree with the advice to spend $$ on glass vs. body), I'll stick with what I originally said in that the upgrade from a 6.3 MP 300D to a 10.1 MP 400D is noticeable and worth it...especially for only $100 more! ;) :D

BlueCorn
06/14/2007, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10139194#post10139194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gisho
I'll stick with what I originally said in that the upgrade from a 6.3 MP 300D to a 10.1 MP 400D is noticeable and worth it...especially for only $100 more! ;) :D

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that you've been trying to sell the 400D right?

Gisho
06/14/2007, 10:06 AM
You are correct. My initial post on this thread was on 6-11-07, which is prior to me deciding (or even considering, for that matter) to upgrade to the 30D.

I stand by my initial post. If he wants to blow up pictures ("I would like to start taking very large scale shots to make framed prints for sale/personal art around the house"), don't you agree that a ~40% increase in pixels will make a substantial difference?
I clearly stated that the advice to spend $ on lenses over body was sound.

If I happen to have an XTI for sale at the same time he is considering this, and it turns out to only cost $100 more to upgrade, so much the better for him.

Xirxes23
06/14/2007, 10:15 AM
hah that was scathing beerguy, but i do like the almost double in megapixels, and i will still probably end up with that lens as well, down the road a bit.

Like he said, he is offering a good deal, and i always jump at a good deal. :)

Also no one responded to the Monopod bit? Anyone use one? let me know how they are walking around a big place like the zoo.

BlueCorn
06/14/2007, 10:23 AM
Did he tell you that Canon warranties don't transfer beyond the original owner?

;)

Gisho
06/14/2007, 10:42 AM
I was not aware of that. If that changes his mind, then so be it.
No biggie, I'll put it up on eBay and get the same, if not more for it. This was purely coincidental. I thought I was offering a fellow reefer a good deal, that's it.

I guess my question above will remain unanswered and sarcasm with ;), and being spoken about in the third person, despite the fact that I am present, is the going theme.

I don't know what I ever did to you beerguy to solicit this reaction?

Xirxes23
06/14/2007, 10:45 AM
hes a self proclaimed thread pirate, what more do you want?

Also if things go horribly wrong i will contact you and we should be able to handle warranty issues through you anyways.

BTW i emailed you back

BlueCorn
06/14/2007, 10:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10141248#post10141248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gisho

I don't know what I ever did to you beerguy to solicit this reaction?

I got a complaint that you were trying to sell your camera, in an unsolicited fashion, using the RC private messaging system.

I have several problems with that. You're quite lucky to still have an account here.

Good day.