PDA

View Full Version : Question for the ER gearheads

ReefWreak
06/09/2007, 12:06 PM
HI!

I bought a used ER 8-2 off RC. It came with an upgraded pump (which I didn't know about), so it's using the sedra 9000 instead of the 5000. It's an older model, so it's got the white needlewheel. I've been contemplating upgrading the white wheel to meshmod, and if I screw it up, it won't matter because I'll just buy the black one and get an upgrade that I should have done anyway.

My question to you is, if I upgrade to a meshwheel, will there be too much air or turbulence in the 8" chamber for it to be an effective upgrade?

Right now I get a ton of thick white foam filling up the cone all the way up to however high I adjust the bubble height to be in the collection cup. I have a hard time right now getting dry foam without clogging the neck with thick gross nauseating skimmate. I can skim wetter and be fine, and it still pulls out a good amount of particulates and gross water. If I upgrade, will I be able to dry skim more?

I've been even toying with the idea of asking one of the local acrylic masters to meet with me and discuss adding a wetneck to add efficiency to my skimming, but the diameter of the collection tube might be too small.

I also wondered about doing the recirc mod on it, but leaving the 9000 feeding the skimmer, just adding a pump to recirc internally, but I think then it would be too much turbulence, as there is a fair amount now as it is.

Anyway, those are a lot of ideas, but I would really appreciate some input from the masters of ER, or needlewheel in general.

Thank you!!!

RichConley
06/09/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10109752#post10109752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak

My question to you is, if I upgrade to a meshwheel, will there be too much air or turbulence in the 8" chamber for it to be an effective upgrade?

You're most likely getting about 15 scfh right now. That body can probably handle 35.

So, no, I dont think you'll have to much turbulence. I run about 50 through my Reef Octopus (which is the same size)

ReefWreak
06/09/2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks Rich. You are certainly a master of the skimmer. I'm a big fan of yours.

I might try out the meshwheel then and see if anyone has one of those fancy-dancy dwyer (sp?) meters and measure out the scfh, and if I ever go nuts, I may just recirc it. Who knows?

sjm817
06/09/2007, 12:31 PM
Results from Sedra9000 Mod-a-Thon, lots of info (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1129161)

ReefWreak
06/09/2007, 12:31 PM
Thank you kindly sir!