PDA

View Full Version : 2 Naso Tangs together?

K-ROK
06/09/2007, 03:43 PM
I have a 155gal. bowfront with 3 tangs...including a Naso Tang. I recently bought another one that is slightly larger from a guy getting out of the hobby. I wasn't really looking to buy another Naso but since the price was right I took him. I have him in a 25gal. QT tank. Now before I put him in with the other Naso will the two of them get along? I've had my first Naso for over 2 years now and I love him/her and don't want to screw up by adding another. Will this be ok?

dragon_slayer
06/09/2007, 04:48 PM
While I'm defiantly not a member of the tang police, you're way over stocked as is with the ones you've got in a 125g. in a much larger system it would most likely be OK, they aren't a very aggressive breed.

kc

K-ROK
06/10/2007, 05:14 AM
Actually they will be in a 155gal. tank with over 100lbs of LR. so I'm not so much concerned with overstocking as much as I am with compatibility. There are alot of fish that are fine until you put them with another fish of the same species. I hope this is not the case with Naso Tangs.

InLimbo87
06/10/2007, 05:38 AM
A 155 is going to end up being too small for even one full grown Naso, so keeping two (and other tangs) would definitely not be a good idea. Like dragon_slayer said, in a much larger system there probably wouldn't be an issue.

K-ROK
06/10/2007, 05:41 AM
Well I guess I'll be doing this guy a favor as he lived in a 125gal. for several years - this will be an upgrade for him. I'll keep a close eye on him and if I think he's suffering in any way I'll find him a new home. Thanks for your thoughts. =)

dragon_slayer
06/10/2007, 08:26 AM
going from a 125g system by him/her self to even a 200g with 3 other tangs is a downgrade no matter how You look at it. it's nothing to do with water quantity, it's about physical room for freedom. it appears you were looking for a 'yeah it's OK' answer from the board and when that didn't happen you're going to do it anyways so pristine water quality and LOTS of flow will be my suggestion with your intentions.

kc

K-ROK
06/10/2007, 03:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10113808#post10113808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragon_slayer
going from a 125g system by him/her self to even a 200g with 3 other tangs is a downgrade no matter how You look at it. it's nothing to do with water quantity, it's about physical room for freedom. it appears you were looking for a 'yeah it's OK' answer from the board and when that didn't happen you're going to do it anyways so pristine water quality and LOTS of flow will be my suggestion with your intentions.

kc

Yeah I have several fish including 3 Tangs and an Emporer Angel along with a few smaller fish. I have pristine water and lots of filtration and LR. I've had mixed responses so even though I did not receive a 'yeah it's OK' response I did not receive an overwhelming "Hell no don't do it" response. All my fish are happy and have thrived for years now. I'm not some newbie who doesn't have a clue so please don't treat me that way. I merely asked if two Naso Tangs would do ok together....I did not ask your opinion on ethical treatment of Tangs. IMO there is plenty of space....a 6' long tank that is 2-3' wide should be plenty. Oh and btw it was not by itself in a 125gal. and I don't know why you assumed that. Rest easy tonight knowing that I will keep a close eye on this fish and if all isn't well I will find a better home/situation for it. I do plan on rearranging my LR and then putting him in so that will make his introduction a bit more even. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

kelligrl37
06/10/2007, 06:41 PM
I heard of someone having 2 naso together they got along for a while and then 1 day she woke up and one of them was dead had a big slice in stomach from horn of other naso, I have a naso and I love him he's great but I would't put another. Mine is in with a beautiful sailfin, I have 150 gallon tank. But they started out in a 72 gallon together and they are the best of friends.

K-ROK
06/10/2007, 08:34 PM
Thank you Kelly thats what I've been waiting to hear- an actual experience. My older Naso is also best friends with a Sailfin Tang and a Foxface. They play and are inseperable. Thanks again for this info. - I may have to reconsider.

Gary Majchrzak
06/10/2007, 08:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10117390#post10117390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by K-ROK
I may have to reconsider.
scratch "I may have to" and you'll be on the right track

dragon_slayer
06/10/2007, 09:16 PM
you were so hell bent that my post was being derogatory that you didn't even read what was posted. i stated going from a 125 by its self to a 200g with 3 other tangs was a downgrade, doesn't make a difference if it had 200 other fish in the 125 or not, it's still a downgrade.

my interpretation of your defensive and rude response to my post that was in no way what so ever downgrading you or your intentions is that you know for your self that it's not a good idea otherwise you wouldn't of taken the post the way you did and responded with such defensiveness.

have a wonderful day
kc

K-ROK
06/11/2007, 03:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10117634#post10117634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragon_slayer
you were so hell bent that my post was being derogatory that you didn't even read what was posted. i stated going from a 125 by its self to a 200g with 3 other tangs was a downgrade, doesn't make a difference if it had 200 other fish in the 125 or not, it's still a downgrade.

my interpretation of your defensive and rude response to my post that was in no way what so ever downgrading you or your intentions is that you know for your self that it's not a good idea otherwise you wouldn't of taken the post the way you did and responded with such defensiveness.

have a wonderful day
kc

Yeah I read and understood what your offensive post said. I asked a question about how these two fish of the same species would interact with each other not what your opinion of my tank situation was. I did not ask for you to point your finger and act as though I was not a responsible saltwater fish keeper. I still don't know why you think it was by itself - there were other tangs in the 125gal. it came from - I thought that was pretty clear. The way I'm looking at it, the fish would be going into a tank with good water and 30 more gallons. That IS an upgrade. I understand that the two Naso's may not interact well so I am reconsidering and that was the ONLY question in my mind. Thank you so much for you OPINION. =)

K-ROK
06/11/2007, 03:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10117430#post10117430 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
scratch "I may have to" and you'll be on the right track

Have you ever seen two Naso's together? I never have thats why I am asking. You people act like I am stuffing a dozen fish into a nano. Are you thinking these fish are 18"? These fish are 6" and 8". I have a Sailfin and a Foxface that swim together and actually play with Naso. It's not a question of overcrowding which I assume you are thinking - it's a question of whether these 2 fish will interact well or not. I finally have someone telling me they don't do well together so I am reconsidering. At least give me credit for not throwing him in and seeing what happens.....I'm doing the research and asking around.

dragon_slayer
06/11/2007, 06:16 AM
[violation]

The violation notice was put there for a reason. Removing it and replacing it as you did is not a good idea. -Anemone

kc

johno4
06/11/2007, 06:47 AM
I will answer your question for you. Small naso's can be put together, however yours do not sound small so you might have a problem. If you dont have a problem at first you will because they will not want the other one in there space when large. They are said to peaceful with other fish but when larger will not tolerate another of its kind. As the others have posted its not a good idea.

Reefcherie
06/11/2007, 07:10 AM
<i><br>Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please let’s work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.</i>

Many people have strong opinions about keeping tangs with regards to compatibility and tank sizes. If you ask for opinions related to tang keeping in any way, you need to be prepared to hear them. That being said, however, all responding need to state your opinion politely, add whatever you can in the way of published facts and your experience and leave it at that.

Thanks,

Reefcherie
RC Moderator

ralphie16
06/11/2007, 09:22 AM
hell no don't do it!!

your tank is too small for even one naso!!

your going to regret it!!

DamnPepShrimp
06/11/2007, 10:38 AM
With three tangs and a emperor angel, I think you will be overstocked, you kind of are now. Just over 100lbs of live rock isn't much for a 155, I had over 200lbs in my 125, even more in the sump. If everything gets along fine, I wouldn't mess with it. I would find the naso a better home, the naso, salfin and emperor will all out grow your current tank.

fishman2006
06/11/2007, 01:03 PM
I knew someone who had a 8" female naso in a 150g tank. They tried adding a 6" male into that tank and the female mercilessly shredded the male in just a few minutes. It did not work at all. The male had to be taken out very quickly or he was going to be killed. Don't put them together, they are very territorial against there own and similar species.

reefer_for_life
06/11/2007, 01:12 PM
put a mirror up to the side of your aquarium and see how your current naso reacts. now this is by no means an absolute way of determining if they will get along or not, but if your naso flips out at seeing its own reflection in the mirror, then i would start to make other plans. hope this helps. good luck.

K-ROK
06/11/2007, 02:42 PM
Thank you to everyone for helping me with this decision. I've finally had some people give me ACTUAL experiences from which to base my decision to NOT put this Tang in. I will find him a new home....would love to keep him but seeing as two Naso's will not react well with each other I'm not going to.
Thanks also to the RC mods who stepped in to cool down some unnecessary anger. This hobby is largely based on opinions - everyone has their own ideas on what is ok and what is not ok and I respect that - as long as they respect my ideas as well because lets face it, there are exceptions to every "rule".

reefer_for_life
06/11/2007, 06:37 PM
i think you made a wise decision, and probably saved the life of one ( and maybe both ) of your tangs. i think alot of the reason some people act like that on message boards is because there too gutless to say things like that to people in real life so they do it behind a screen name on RC. oh well good luck to ya.

ralphie16
06/11/2007, 08:35 PM
i was not involved in the above spat, but let me tell you I am just as brash and in-your-face in real life as i am online but I guess i can be because im as big as they come

reefer_for_life
06/12/2007, 09:40 AM
[violation] but on a side note, you have a nice tank ralphie, is that a moorish idol? if it is very nice. if you have any links to a thread you have made about your idol please link them, would love to read about it.

honda2sk
06/12/2007, 12:37 PM

Reefcherie
06/12/2007, 12:49 PM
Enough! I believe this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Reefcherie
RC Moderator