PDA

View Full Version : Additives

Seaworthy
06/09/2007, 11:22 PM
Do they really help? I can see if you have a load-in like a tank of the month but I've heard that good judicious water changes really provide enough of these various elements for most reefers. Also, I personally have mostly shrooms, zo's, and softies. A few of LPS but certainly not a lot. Do they really benefit from all the calcium, alkalinity, etc.? Seems like a lot of money out the window.

dc_909
06/09/2007, 11:41 PM
Not a lot of money. Just make your own 3-part using Randy's formula and it will only cost a few dollars a year.

stuccodude
06/09/2007, 11:42 PM
im not a veteran but the LFS i go too has a amazing display tank with 250 metal halides, no chiller cause he runs the cooler to get people to come in and no calcium reactor, he (and I cause im modeling my tank after his) runs a sump with no bio balls- a phos reactor and some tunzi powerheads and a uv and says he gets a ocasional ich but the uv takes care of it

ronald7410
06/10/2007, 12:25 AM
You wouldn't need it but your coral would benefit greatly. Cal creates the hard skeletons along w the buffer.

frederickk
06/11/2007, 03:52 PM
I personaly like to dose Ca and the seachem KH additive as to maintain my levels. My Ca reactor just maintain my levels so I need to dose every other week just to keep a good level.

am3gross
06/11/2007, 03:57 PM
i think that as long as your are testing your levels that willl tell you if you need to dose or not. water changes are good to get in some of the trace elements that you use while you are skimming and it will also lower nitrates. so i would say to test before you dose and that will give you the bigger picture.