PDA

View Full Version : Sump Baffles?

mattyb327
06/10/2007, 04:19 AM
I have a 25 gallon sump under my new 90 gallon RR and the sump has no baffles, I was wondering which one was better? I can add baffles to it. Just seems like a place to put heater etc, would like it to be more useful. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, mattyb327

msn711
06/10/2007, 12:03 PM
IME, baffles aren't absolutely necessary. I use a 20L for a sump. The heater just sits on the bottom. Even if you do go with baffles, there's no reason the heater needs its own section.

MSU Fan
06/10/2007, 02:21 PM
yeah, the heater does not need it's own section. basically, the baffles provide a way to segregate different sections, i.e. the return pump section, fuge, frag area, skimmer area. I've seen plenty of "sumps" that are just a stock tank with LR in it and some macroalgae and a skimmer. No baffles at all.

mattyb327
06/10/2007, 02:44 PM
So I can put macroalgae in compartment without having to segragate?

surfjeepzx
06/10/2007, 02:44 PM
Baffles are intended to remove microbubbles and work well, If you're not having issues with bubbles re-entering the tank then don't bother with them.

IPT
06/10/2007, 04:28 PM
I will put a baffle in to seperate my return pump. Thus I can add additives, topoff water and the like there. My hope is it will miz a little before going to the main tank and concntrations of Kalk topoof will not jack the PH of the entre sump. I plan on having a small frag area within the sump. I agree though, they are not needed. However, you do want someting if you are using a skimmer to be sure the intake gets most of the display tanks water. I will skim better this way as opossed to having it just pick up water within the sump that is all mixed up and not concentrated surface water.

IPT
06/10/2007, 04:29 PM
Proof reading is good....I should have done it :)

mattyb327
06/11/2007, 02:18 PM
So I have 2 drains dumping into sump one though filter bag the other to a skimmer should i put a divider in where the skimmer dumps back into sump? Right now it just dumps directly into sump.Thanks, mattyb327