PDA

View Full Version : what cam should I buy this time around?

Mr_Jarhead
06/11/2007, 09:50 AM
Here is the deal, I have experience with digital cameras, the last one we bought was a Fuji S5000 in 2003, which was a good camera, and still is for the most part. As cameras go it is now out of date, and it is time for something new. I have done a great deal of research and still can't figure out what to buy. Since the bulk of pictures we take are of my reef I wanted to get you guys to way in on this with your opinions of what you would buy. The only real thing we are wanting in this camera is size. Our Fuji S5000 is a large camera and is a pain to carry with us places, so this time we would like something compact. Considering that what would you buy?

Thanks

Mr_Jarhead
06/11/2007, 09:54 AM
One more thought price is really not an issue, for the most part. We don't want to spend more that $500, but are not looking for a cheap camera either.

VoidRaven
06/11/2007, 01:42 PM
How compact is compact? The Fuji S9000 is very nice but the same size as the S5000. The Canon S3 IS is a very nice camera and somewhat more compact but not a "pocket cam" by any means (unless you're wearing BDU's or cargo pants).

Actually I think the Canon S5 IS was just released.

Mr_Jarhead
06/11/2007, 02:16 PM
Compact as in a pocket cam. That is how I came up with a $500 limit, I was hard pressed at finding one over that price. We want something very portable and not cumbersome (as in not toting the camera bag around anymore). I know I will sacrafice some features going with a pocket camera, but the size it what I am really after.

I am strongly considering a Fuji F31fd, the specs look good, and it has many settings that can be adjusted manually (such as AP) that most pocket cams do not.