PDA

View Full Version : 150 G ... questions

sickyute
06/11/2007, 10:40 AM
short history:
had a 90 reef for 1.5 years ... sold it ... everything made it on the move and they are still alive with the new owner to date(about 2 years now)
what it looked like :) .. there was a lot of life in there though u can't see much in this pic :(
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e162/gary1924/2216565_82_full.jpg

been with a 29 G bio cube since ... not doing too much in there ... just some zoas and a yellow striped maroon ...

the now:
i'm going to start a 150 G ... 48wide x 24deep x 30tall ...
it's going to be a reef ... whatever will survive nicely and is recommended for the tank size ... sps, lps, soft, etc ... inverts, fish so on and so forth ...

lighting:
outer orbit 716W (2x250 HQI, 4x54 T5 HO, 9blue + 9white led) ... will be on timers
is that sufficient?

the tank is built with a corner overflow ... it's stated to flow 700GPH which is about 4-5 times the tank's capacity (great) ...
i'm thinking about getting a return pump which is rated at about 1200GPH and after head loss etc i would dial down the flow via a stop valve so i can get equilibrium with the overflow ...
am i on the right track here?
would dialing down the flow on the return via a stop vlave damage the pump in anyway?

i'm going to use about 180lbs of live rock ... might be a bit more or less depending on how the aquascape turns out ... but it will be around that mark ...
i'm def. going to have a refugium!!! it's basically going to be 2 refugiums though ... 1 will be a DSB and the other miracle mud :)
so it's basically going to flow from one into the other then to the pump and back to the tank ... (1 refugium but split in 2)
do i still need to do bio balls?
how big of a refugium do i need?

on my 90 i had similar lights and never had to worry about a chiller ... someone told me i may need one ...
what do u thinl

what skimmer do u recommend??

powerheads (turnover/circulation)will run off a redsea wavemaker pro ... some will be on constantly .. any recommendations??? my LFS thinks i should get koralias, i usually used maxijets ... there's a ton of other out now ... i'm lost ...

heaters

i have a fluval fx5 i use on the biocube now .. i'll swap it over to the bigger tank to handle carbon and other media ... it does throw some micro bubbles sometimes (very very seldom) ... do micro bubbles affect a tank in a anyway apart from looks?

etc etc ....

any other info u have to give is welcomed ...

thanks in advance ....

PS: i'll post pics of the new setup when i start it in the coming week :) ...

sickyute
06/11/2007, 11:55 AM
soooo many views and no responses ...
didn't expect that ...
c/mon people !!!

Justin James
06/11/2007, 04:50 PM
Looks good. Is that a big acro or a leather in the center? The naso looks great but sadly will eventually outgrow that tank.

sickyute
06/11/2007, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10122635#post10122635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin James
Looks good. Is that a big acro or a leather in the center? The naso looks great but sadly will eventually outgrow that tank.
that was a colt in the middle ... i bought it when it was about 3 inches tall and 3 inches wide ... basically a stick with few extensions ... within a couple months it just grew like crazy ..

yeah i found out about the tang + tank sizes after i got rid of the tank ... it's the reason i'm going with a 150 now ...

bump for more input ...