PDA

View Full Version : Jawfish Substrate

Therhusky
06/12/2007, 05:33 AM
I've been reading a lot about the jawfish, and really want to keep one(or a pair). I have a 20H tank, which I plan to use exclusively for the jawfish. I know that they need at least 6" of mixed substrate, but am not really sure what this substrate should consist of... I was thinking along the lines of 40 lbs of Caribsea Special Grade Sand with 30 lbs of fine aragonite, and 20 lbs of "puka shells" mixed in. That would give me about 8" of substrate. Would this mix work, or should I just skip the fine sand and do 80lbs Special Grade sand? Also, is it good to mix all the shells in with the sand of just add handfuls on top of the sand?

I can buy a mated pair from sealifeinc.net...Would these be alright in the 20g, or sould i just go with one? If any jawfish owners could chime and say what kind of substrate they use that would be great.

Therhusky
06/12/2007, 02:34 PM
bump

2OceanLovers
06/12/2007, 04:39 PM
I have one in my 12g. They don't need that deep of a substrate; maybe 3 1/2 to 4in of sand. I used 15lbs of aragalive fine sand and about 5lbs of crushed coral. They need different sizes to make their burrow stable. The shells could be just a handful. They will use them as "doors" at night on their burrows. HTH

MJSavage
06/12/2007, 08:17 PM
I set up my Red Sea Max specificaly for a Jawfish. I have one in my 120 and really enjoy it. I used CaribSea Super Reef which is CaribSea Special Grade and shells up to about 1/2". Jawfish use these shells for shoring up the walls of their hole. My substrate is about 3 1/2" deep.

Mike