PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly fish with softies

stuart310
06/12/2007, 10:09 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if I could safely keep Heniochus butterfly fish or any other butterfies with softies such as srooms, colt coral, sea mats, and a large mushroom leather toadstool.

Thanks!

jakleen
06/13/2007, 08:42 AM
i had henniochus in my reef tank (in old tank) ,never bothered my corals. by the way henniochus appriciate and look good in groups of 3or more if you have big tank ,they like it better rather than being alone. from what i have experienced and read most butterflies and other fish do not bother mushroom, mats. they do not like the taste of them. i hope others will give their opinions soon too. good luck. jakleen

Homer J
06/14/2007, 10:34 AM
Heniochus diphreutes is the one you want. They are reef safe. H. acuminatus which looks almost identical is said to reek havoc in a reef system. Most fish stores I've been to have not been able to positively identify the difference between the two. Main reason I've shied away from them. I did keep a Pyramid Butterfly in my tank and he was a model citizen. Never went after anything on the rocks. Even feather dusters which most butterflies love to snack on. Good luck.

stuart310
06/14/2007, 12:42 PM
Heniochus diphreutes is the one you want. They are reef safe. H. acuminatus which looks almost identical is said to reek havoc in a reef system

Yea, that's what I heard. What I'm asking is that if I end up getting the H. acuminatus by mistake or something which corals would he most likely bother the most . My corals are growing too big and I'm thinking of selling some so I thinking to sell the ones that H. acuminatus would bother the most cause I've always wanted Butterflies especially Heni's.