PDA

View Full Version : What's the next step?

eckrynock
06/12/2007, 12:33 PM
Well, I'm not really a newb since I've done all of this before, just not real sure where to go from here. I just set up my 90 again. I tore it down because I had a huge dictyota outbreak I couldn't keep under control. Since I had to cook the rock, I tore the whole tank down. I drilled it for a coast to coast overflow and a closed loop run by a dart. It is now set back up. I cooked the rock for almost 4 months and it looks pretty lifeless (I think the tub in the garage got a little too warm). So, now I have dead rock and new sand in the tank. I would like to let it go fish and coral-less for a few months but I would also like to establish some microfauna in the meantime. Should I get some nitrobacter to kind of kickstart the bacteria in the rock? Should I buy some pods and throw them in? If I get pods, should I start some phyto to feed them? If so, how much and how often? Thanks for your help!

dragon_slayer
06/12/2007, 04:38 PM
just start a lighting cycle and you'll be right surprised at what comes back pretty quickly. i cooked some rock for about 8 months and within a few weeks had coralline back everywhere and even a few zoa's popped up that weren't noticeable at first.

kc

scarter
06/12/2007, 05:07 PM
agreed

eckrynock
06/12/2007, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10129691#post10129691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragon_slayer
just start a lighting cycle and you'll be right surprised at what comes back pretty quickly. i cooked some rock for about 8 months and within a few weeks had coralline back everywhere and even a few zoa's popped up that weren't noticeable at first.

kc

That's the next step for me. Finishing up my hood this week.

frederickk
06/14/2007, 02:22 PM
Keep us posted