PDA

View Full Version : What to buy, which has a better benefit for SPS? UV or Skimmer...

Kiel'thalin
06/12/2007, 03:39 PM
After seeing a few threads on a UV Sterilizer, I think I might get this one: Aqua UV 15 watt Sterilizer w/wiper (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQUAUV-15WT-WP&Category_Code=Aquauv). But I could spend that money to replace my Deltec MCE600 HOB skimmer with that new BM160 Skimmer. The goal is to remove my refugium, being only a 7"x9"x7" chamber that mostly collects crap that the skimmer misses. I think the skimmer would be a better choice, but let me go over my setup and advise me before making yet another pricey purchase:

Barebottom 46 Gallon Bow-Front SPS Reef Setup (36”Lx16.25”Wx20”H)
Equipment:
Lighting: Aquactinics 36” T5 Fixture (5 39W Bulbs)
Bulbs: ATI Blue Special, UVL Pure Actinic, GE 6500K, ATI Blue+, UVL Aqua Sun
Refugium: 10 Gallon stocked with Cheatomorpha Algae that grows well.
Refugium Light: Clap-on 23W 5100K Compact Fluorescent Floodlight
Return Pump: MAG Drive 5 (500gph)
Heater: Finnex Digital Titanium @ 150W
Protein Skimmer: Deltec MCE600 in the sump
Water Flow: SEIO 820 & a Modded Maxi-Jet 1200

Live Rock: Fiji Premium 25-30 lbs Live Rock

Supplements:
Alkalinity: Randy’s Recipe Part 1 (40mL daily)
Calcium: Randy’s Recipe Part 1(40mL daily)
Magnesium: Randy’s Recipe 1 Version A

Fish:
Purple Tang
Lyretail Anthias
Saddleback Clown
Purple Firefish
Blue Neon Goby
Six-Line Wrasse

Cleanup Crew (Invertebrates):
(5) Scarlet Hermit Crab (paguristes cadenati)
(15) Blue Dwarf Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius tricolor)
(10) Astraea Turbo Snail (Astraea Tecta)
(2) Bumblebee Snail (Pusiostoma sp.)
(4) Mexican Turbo Snail (Turbo fluctuosa)
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Fancy Banded Serpent Sea Star (Ophioderma appressum)
Red Brittle Sea Star (Ophiocoma sp.)

That covers everything but the corals. There are no real problem, corals/fish all fine, I just want to provide a even better filtration system, since I don't want to run into problems down the road. Thanks again...

captainandy
06/12/2007, 03:51 PM
The deltec is more than enough for your system. UV isn't all that important in SPS tank. If you want to something nice for the SPS then get metal halides.

PL-Reef
06/12/2007, 04:47 PM
skimmer is a must! IMO. others might not agree though.

Canarygirl
06/12/2007, 04:50 PM
Definitely the skimmer.

Kiel'thalin
06/12/2007, 05:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10129403#post10129403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captainandy
The deltec is more than enough for your system. UV isn't all that important in SPS tank. If you want to something nice for the SPS then get metal halides.

The deltec is alright, but it still is a HOB skimmer, it is in-sump and pulls about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of skimmate every few days. I feel if it was mounted in the display tank it would perform better, but I won't sacrifice the extra eq up there when it can be used in-sump. The t-5 Fixture I have is more than adequate for the setup, I can place just about anything in the bottom and it will grow, if I place them up high too soon or not acclimate a coral to these lights, the fixture will bleach them quickly.

sfsuphysics
06/12/2007, 06:31 PM
Any issue with heat since it says your local is Georgia. But I'm with the good captain, a nice metal halide bulb in a lumenarc mini over there should do nicely :)

Kiel'thalin
06/12/2007, 08:38 PM
The center brace is huge on the tank, even the t5's cast a slight shadow, I couldn't imagine placing a MH above it. That would just multiple the shadow effect from the center brace. Plus the fixture I have now sits directly on the tank without legs.
Getting back to the skimmer..... if you had a HOB skimmer, no matter who made it, would you switch it out, especially if you are protecting SPS?

PUGroyale
06/12/2007, 11:18 PM
I have a 46bow and replaced my hang-on with an in-sump model a few years ago... But I can hardly offer you a comparison, my HOB was a SeaClone :lol2: Given your question though... definitely skimmer over UV if you're picking one or the other. btw: if you cut out or replace your center brace with clear acrylic and run dual halides :D that shadow is no longer a factor.

ntrlfive
06/12/2007, 11:30 PM
i wouldnt cut the brace i remember while back a friend of mine tried to make his own center brace that broke worked for a few months, untill 55gallons of water was on the floor with some fish flopping around

dots
06/12/2007, 11:57 PM
Think of those braces from a manufactures point of view: would you spend the money to make and place something right in the center of the only opening of a glass box only if you had to?

It distributes the load.....leave it........if you do you need to replace it with a joint that is as strong, if not stronger......to get that would be more than most want to deal with or look at, buy another tank or change you lighting configuration.

PUGroyale
06/13/2007, 12:01 AM
Not to sidetrack Kiel's thread but... replacing a center brace with acrylic is child's play ;) ...very simple DIY job

dots
06/14/2007, 12:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10132479#post10132479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUGroyale
Not to sidetrack Kiel's thread

Agreed, and we will end it with this.......sure you can do it, if you replace the same strength of the material that you cut out, and transfer the load through a fastener(s) that does not create a stress concentration that results in a tearout in the material or the fastener shear itself.

Oh, on top of that it needs to look good........and try selling a tank that you have cut up.........in the end, I don't think what you gain is worth it all.

Tip:
If you want to lower your car, just heat the springs up and let it drop........very simple DIY job.:p

Move the lights, or put lower light coral in the center.....I have the Aqualight Pro 250 and using the optional legs, I don't run into this because they bring the lights close to the water. Perhaps lowering the lights is an option?

To stay on track:
I say skimmer, because it works to export nutrients out of the system which takes them out of the equation all together.

Kiel'thalin
06/14/2007, 06:09 AM
I am not fully understanding why the metals halides would be any better than what I got? My t5 fixtures sits directly on the tank with no legs and has great color. I don't think I can find another fixture without getting a canopy that would look any better than it does now. Here is an old pic that shows how the fixture sits on the tank, it covers just about the entire width of the tank minus the bowfront section:
http://home.mchsi.com/~liztara/Aquactinics.jpg

As far as the skimmer, I placed a pre-order for the BM160, hopefully it will be in stock soon. I take it the UV was a bad choice? Thanks for the help...

Horace
06/14/2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah dont listen to the folks telling you to change to MH. Even as big of fan of MH as I am, having run T5s I know first hand they do the job, and do it well. Your much better off getting a good skimmer than changing (notice I didnt say upgrading) your lighting to MH.

IMO UV have no real place on an SPS tank. They likely do more harm than good to a healthy tank IMO. The only reason I would use a UV is if I had an ICH outbreak... other than that, they kill beneficial zooplankton for no reason at all.

UVs are good on FO systems and thats about it IMO.

panic
06/14/2007, 06:47 AM
T5 grow sps beautifully, and has even earned a tank of the month here. I prefer halides though. The skimmer is more important for water quality and the UV helps out clarity. Both help in both ways though