PDA

View Full Version : new tank... just got a few more questions!

terrynova
06/12/2007, 04:01 PM
Alright so I have to say RC is awesome! I don't want to tell you how much time I have spent just reading and reading, I love the information.

Now a little on the setup...I have 29 gallon drilled tank with a 20 long underneath it for sump/refuge. Its got a good 3"-4" aragonite sand bed and I just added around 45-50 lbs of live rock. A mag 3 is the return and have a good 6" sand bed in the refuge where I hope to grow some macro.

Filtration wise I was hoping the live rock would cover most of it, but I have a penguin 350 on the back. Investing in a skimmer after the tank has fully cycled.

I would like to keep an acro or two, a corcea, and some lps. Pretty mixed I know, but everything I look at I fall in love with.

here are two pictures... sorry for the dirty glass

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~aterrano/tank/day.2.2.jpg
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~aterrano/tank/day.2.3.jpg

Question 1.

How does everything look so far set up? Anything I am missing?

Question 2.

Lighting Lighting... LIGHTING! I have changed my mind every day on what kind of lighting to invest in. I think right now I will go with two 24" VHO. Even though the tank is shallow, It still won't be enough for the sps or corcea correct? So I plan on upgrading in a few months to a 150 HQI. Will this bee too much with the VHO? Also my girlfriend works at the LFS and they have a sale on the coralife T5 fixtures. Would you suggest T5 and if so, how many 24" or 30" bulbs should I purchase?

Question 3.

After the tank has fully cycled, are there any other parameters I should let balance out before adding lps? Should I add livestock and then wait awhile before adding corals?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

PSam
06/12/2007, 04:11 PM
Question 2.

I think right now I will go with two 24" VHO. Even though the tank is shallow, It still won't be enough for the sps or corcea correct?

No, it won't be enough for optimal color / growth. I'd go with halides.

Question 3.

After the tank has fully cycled, are there any other parameters I should let balance out before adding lps? Should I add livestock and then wait awhile before adding corals?

You should first get your Ca/Alk/Ph/Mg in line before adding anything, imo. Maybe a few crabs or whatever, but get all your parameters straight before spending tons of $ on livestock. It will be easier to do and you won't worry about killing anything

NanoReefWanabe
06/12/2007, 06:00 PM
you will need more flow for sps and even LPS would likely want more flow..

mag3 from a sump is likely only giving you about 250 gph maybe only 200...i dont know about the penguin...but i have a mag 9.5 dialed back through a squid...plus maxijet 1200 on a clsed loop and a slightly modded maxijet 400 ...and i still wouldnt put SPS in my tank

i also have a 150 HQI...i think you will be fine with it and i would put the VHO's in too if i were to do it again...

ghostman
06/12/2007, 08:07 PM
Great advice above. IMO 2-4 T5 bulbs would work and look great. If you can get a deal on them, even better. A tunze 6025 would be a nice addition to flow too. Looks good, keep posting pics.

Phong33
06/12/2007, 08:28 PM
Whats in the penguin? Just carbon? If thats the case, I'd ditch the penguin and just put the carbon in the sump.

1. It appears that the only thing you're missing are powerheads. You'll want at least 25x turnover. I'd recommend seio, tunze nanostream, or korila.

2. I have a 29g myself and am using a tek retro, 2x24 T5. I love it and am able to keep anything including a clam on the sandbed. If you do go with T5, individual reflectors are a must

3. PSam answered this the way I would have.

terrynova
06/12/2007, 08:48 PM
ok so with the power heads... is it better to have like two or three smaller ones. Or less power heads that are more powerful?

bigtank
06/12/2007, 09:02 PM
Two or three smaller ones, this enables more even circulation throughout the tank. Since you already have a sump, I would consider a closed loop system with 2 separate nozzles.

Phong33
06/12/2007, 09:30 PM
I'd go with two, it gives better circulation with less dead spots. I'm personally using a seio 620 and a seio 820 plus my return.

strayvoltage
06/12/2007, 10:19 PM
More flow like others said. T5 for the light would be the best way to go IMO. Less heat ,less cost to run, less cost when it's time to replace bulbs. individual reflectors are much better for the best light coverage but not really a must.