PDA

View Full Version : aiptasia in fuge?

str8clownr
06/12/2007, 04:21 PM
ok so i was at the LFS and asked for some of their aiptasia, i put it in my fuge, she looked at me like i was crazy, but i heard they are good at polishing the water....

can they release spores into the main tank or im safe keeping them in the fuge

thanks

HBtank
06/12/2007, 04:24 PM
This is a method some people do use, but it is recommended to have a UV sterilizer on the return to stop them from spreading to the main tank. SO yes, I would be concerned...

A UV will eliminate anything beneficial from making it back to the display, so you have to weigh the benefits... I personally would only do it if I had a separate fuge.

It is a method I MIGHT play with if I had the room for a separate fuge above the tank, which is the best way to reintroduce beneficial refugia creatures anyway...

kfowler
06/12/2007, 04:32 PM
I don't think I would ever intoduce aiptasia on purpose. Reefvideos has a video on this being done like HBtank mentions. They do use a UV. IMO, they're are far better ways to polish your water.

virginiadiver69
06/12/2007, 04:42 PM
I have been keeping them in my fuge for several months now. I had one that came in on some cheato and I let him be. He has gotten huge. My trates have been zero, though I can not be sure how much is do to the anemone. I have seen about four start to sprout up recently. I saw one free floating in the water last night and I am now thinking of trying to snuff them out before they get into my tank.

IndyReefMan
06/12/2007, 04:45 PM
I have quite a few aptasia in my fuge and none have spread to the display... yet. It has been a concern for me too. I just let them live in the fuge after reading a section in A. Calfo's book about the benefits of using aptasia as a filter system.

bgiles11
06/12/2007, 05:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10129628#post10129628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HBtank
This is a method some people do use, but it is recommended to have a UV sterilizer on the return to stop them from spreading to the main tank. SO yes, I would be concerned...

A UV will eliminate anything beneficial from making it back to the display, so you have to weigh the benefits... I personally would only do it if I had a separate fuge.

It is a method I MIGHT play with if I had the room for a separate fuge above the tank, which is the best way to reintroduce beneficial refugia creatures anyway... UV does not kill everything beneficial. It only kills one cell organizisms. I run UV and pods flow through it unharmed.

Joshua1023
06/12/2007, 05:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10129870#post10129870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bgiles11
UV does not kill everything beneficial. It only kills one cell organizisms. I run UV and pods flow through it unharmed.

Ding, Ding, Ding, We Have a Winner!

str8clownr
06/12/2007, 06:22 PM
ya i got the idea from Reefvideos sump concept, and figured if i can get the aiptasia i might as well throw it in there, well i guess ill take those two aiptasia out before it gets worse, they got huge quick though

JeffersonReef
06/13/2007, 10:36 AM
dont do it. if just one aptasia makes it to ur display and finds a happy spot where you cant plcuk it out or kalk it to death... things can get ugly fast. There are better ways of doing this... why not buy a couple feather dusters? also, sponges are great in a fuge if you dont have too much light on them... ANY filter feeder or detrivore will do well in a fuge. A black brittle star wouldnt hurt... some nas snails... JMHO!!!

Bambalam
06/13/2007, 11:56 AM
Gotta agree with kfowler and JeffersonReef on this one - there are other less hazardous filter feeders that could do the job just as well.

p4ck37p1mp
06/13/2007, 12:05 PM
I've heard of Xenia being used.

HBtank
06/13/2007, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10129870#post10129870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bgiles11
UV does not kill everything beneficial. It only kills one cell organizisms. I run UV and pods flow through it unharmed.

Can you point me to something that states this? I have read the opposite many times.

Have you seen what an unsheilded DE MH will do to a tank in a short time? To all inhabitants?

HBtank
06/13/2007, 12:23 PM
Double post.

DouglasTiede
06/13/2007, 12:35 PM

Very True!

Doc Fosters info on pets and equipment states this very same thing.

Also I have used a UV for years on the return from my Fuge to my tank, I have tons of pods growing in the fuge, which feeds my tank with pods

HBtank
06/13/2007, 01:24 PM
cool, I trust Doc Fosters.

That would also mean that the recommendation of a UV sterilizer on reefvideos.com is pretty pointless as well, since aptasia are not "single celled" organisms...

Kinda makes this whole Idea a poor one...

jdmhonda954
06/13/2007, 01:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10134872#post10134872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by p4ck37p1mp
I've heard of Xenia being used.

same here and if you are worried about polishing the water run carbon and micron filtration or even consider ozone. just a thought

pledosophy
06/13/2007, 01:35 PM
UV's come with two different flow rates. One flow rate is for single celled organisms like bacteria's etc, the other is a slower rate that is used to kill parasites. If a water polisher is placed in front of the UV like it is designed for then there should be no way a pod gets through a UV. A UV ran at a flow rate to kill parasites will also kill pods.

I have an 18w UV on my system but still have a tremedous amount of pods.

JME.