PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Kole Tang Behavior

xravenzx
06/12/2007, 06:11 PM
I special ordered a spotted kole tang which came in at my LFS. When I went to check it out, it seemed a bit spooked at the sight of humans. When I'd step back a bit, the fish would pick at the rock and glass for a bit and then hover around the bottom for a bit, and repeat; rather than swimming around constantly like the other regular kole tangs they had.

I asked them to feed it, so they dropped in some brine and it got more spooked and froze on the bottom for a while. After a bit, it started hovering around the bottom again, but wasn't a constant swimmer like other kole tangs around it in the other tanks.

I told them I want to hold off for a few days. Is this behavior normal with these specimens or do you think this might be one that didn't acclimate that well? It's only been there a day, so do you think that if its behavior improves in a few days time it might be worth picking up, or should I pass on this one?

DarthSimon
06/12/2007, 08:23 PM
Mine did the same thing at first... Very spooked out... But after a few days, he did great. He roams around looking for Algae all day long... I feed him Nori. I spot him take a quick bite of cube food now and then... Go for him.... He is one of the cuttest fish around I think... His mouth makes me laugh....

Here is a pic of mine... By the way, he lost his shyness after about 1 week....

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/darthsimon/IMGS/tank531b.jpg

xravenzx
06/13/2007, 06:58 AM
Awesome, thanks. Now I feel better about it. I think it's an awesome fish and had been waiting for one for a while. Glad to hear it's normal and that it usually takes a few days to settle in.

BTW - Yours looks great. I really like the color.

DarthSimon
06/13/2007, 07:10 AM
In Full lighting you can see his Blue Edges, as well as his spots really pop... Very kool....

emilese
06/13/2007, 08:19 AM
DarthSimon, that has to be one of the nicest kole's I've ever seen! Very nice pic.

Miles

DarthSimon
06/13/2007, 08:31 AM
Thx... It was a good pic also... Caught him at the right time... Also taken with a Nikon 10 MP SLR 40DX.. Sure the higher rez helped... Buy yes, he is a gorgeous fish IMHO... :) Very underated...

chkra_hp
06/14/2007, 08:43 AM
where does the spotted koel tang come from? Hawaii version? my LFs only have the brownish one. Can someone point me to where I can get a blue one like that. thanx

DarthSimon
06/14/2007, 08:53 AM
Mine is kinda dark grayish...

xravenzx
06/14/2007, 08:56 AM
I had to ask my LFS to special order it. They come in sometimes but are much more rare than the regular kole tangs. Whenever they come in, they usually get snatched up very quickly.

xravenzx
06/14/2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, I picked it up today and it's doing great. Swimming around and picking at the rocks and sand. Very nice looking fish.

After a few days, it definitely came out of its shell.

DarthSimon
06/14/2007, 09:02 PM
If he is picking, it means he is ready to eat.. Try some Nori in a clip.. He will chow down on that...

How about a nice pick of your fish??