PDA

View Full Version : Ozonizer in SPS only tank

Jar*Head
06/13/2007, 10:52 AM
I want to run Ozonizer in my 500g system. But don't know where to start. I know someone going to ask "what am i trying to achieve" . Here is my goal

water quality
kill unwanted bacteria or parasite
algea control
More light penatration

My tank is very stable, corals doing very well. But i would like to push for another 5-10% improvement.

I have a few question

1. Which Ozone generator should i get?

2. How hard is it to dial it in?

3. How many Mg should i get?

4. What negative affect should i expect?

5. Will Ozone kill pods?

6. Do you recommend to run with the protein skimmer or reactor?

7. What is the short/long term affect when running Ozone?

I have read all the articles about Ozone but i only understand half :D . Thank you for your time.

Boomer
06/13/2007, 02:38 PM
1. Which Ozone generator should i get?

***I would get a Sanders

2. How hard is it to dial it in?

*** Easy as Sanders have a dial on them to control the output if that is what you mean. And NOT cranking it up high to achieve a desired ORP right away.

3. How many Mg should i get?

*** How many net gals. The std starting dosage is 0.3 - 0.5 mg / gal. If you had say 500 net gals then .3 or .5 x 500 gal. And don't let the ORP get above 450 mV.

4. What negative affect should i expect?

***None as long as you run the effluent water through GAC and the unit does not go bad. Using a dial controlled ozone unit and a controller should stop any of these concerns, other than the ozone air line coming off from you, the kids, dog, cat or poor connection etc., and giving everyone a headache and a odd odor in the air.

5. Will Ozone kill pods?

***No, it is not high enough to kill much of anything and the contact time is not long enough.

6. Do you recommend to run with the protein skimmer or reactor?

***It is better with a PROPER reactor but a PROPER skimmer is also fine.

7. What is the short/long term affect when running Ozone?

***Cleaner and clearer water, less organics, better and more light penetration and more normal REDOX levels, with almost tad increase in O2 maybe and increase in wanted bacteria and decrease in the unwanted algae ( usually) .

Jar*Head
06/13/2007, 05:05 PM
Thank you Boomer, Where can i get the PROPER Ozone reactor? and thank you for taking your time answer all my question. I was going to buy the redsea. Because i heard it is very easy to use. I am a grunts, i need something with dummies proof :)

Boomer
06/14/2007, 09:27 AM
Red Sea nahtah :D Often their ouput is lower than claimed. As far as a reactor goes nowdays there are only one or two. Here is the best one. The one with the Guage on it.

http://www.marinetechnical.com/

You may have to get a Red Sea though as they do have a nice unit that is a combo ozonizer controller all in one, plus a dryer. RS3675. It is a 200 mg unit which just barley meets your needs @400- 660 gals

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_uv_ultraviolet_sterilizers_ozonizers_red_sea_aquazone.asp?CartId=

Boomer
06/14/2007, 09:29 AM
Red Sea nahtah :D Often their output is lower than claimed. As far as a reactor goes nowdays there are only one or two. Here is the best one.

The one with the Gauge on it.
http://www.marinetechnical.com/

You may have to get a Red Sea though as they do have a nice unit that is a combo ozonizer controller all in one, plus a dryer. RS3675. It is a 200 mg unit which just barley meets your needs @400- 660 gals

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_uv_ultraviolet_sterilizers_ozonizers_red_sea_aquazone.asp?CartId=

Jar*Head
06/14/2007, 11:21 AM
Thank you Boomer, I have seen the Sanders and Ozonetech. But which one is easier to control? I heard the red sea suks. What about the delux model? Have you ever use their product? The MTC reactor look sweet. What is the SR7?

KenStanley
06/14/2007, 12:39 PM
I have a Red Sea and have found it to be pretty much fool proof. I have the AquaZone plus 50 on my 100 gallon tank. The water began to sparkle within 24 hours of hooking it up. I've noticed that the orp probe gets dirty and the opr reading will read high untill you clean it. I consider that to be a good thing, much better than reading too low. As it is it will read high and just not produce ozone until you clean the orp probe. I like it a lot. Red Sea recommends ozone production of 5 to 15 mg/hr per 25 gallons of aquarium. If Boomer is correct on the over stating you may want to consider that when purchasing your unit.

Jar*Head
06/14/2007, 01:55 PM
My friend also own the redsea delux and he is very happy with it. I will go with the Ozonetech and MTC reactor.

Boomer, thank you for guiding me into an expensive direction hahahaha J/K. Man that reactor look awesome. I will go ahead and order that bad boy next week.

How many Mg should i start in my 500g system? I like to take it slow..... 50mg?

Thanks

Boomer
06/14/2007, 03:13 PM
Reef

Ozonetech is a very good choice but has no controller like the Red Sea. It is gambling to run ozone with no controller but there are other controllers to look at. It is just that the Red Sea has all in one and a air dryer and why I said that may be a better choice for you.

Recommended dosage is .3 - .5 mg / gal, which is almost the same as 5 to 15 mg/hr per 25 gallons or .2 - .6 mg / gal Start with .1 mg / gal. Take you NET gals, to include the sump and X x .3 or .5 mg / gal. If you have 400 gal then 400 x .3 or .5 = 120 -200 is where to set the dial on the ozonizer. DIAL not the digital read out, which is measuring ORP in mV. But for starts 400 x .1 = about 40 - 50 on the dial.

Also reef it will take time to break in the ORP probe, so if it reads low DO NOT be cranking it up, wait 1-2 wks for a good reading.

What is the SR7?

It is a Substrate Reactor that collects water and allows the water to run through GAC. about $120

Ken

The high heading is usually due to algae on the probe which releases a lot of O2 which raises the ORP.

AND your e-mail address does not work, so I no longer have it.

Jar*Head
06/14/2007, 03:47 PM
Boomer, thank you for taking your time explainning. I already contact MTC regarding to the reactor, SR7 and CAF. I am going to order the complete setup next week

I was going to run the Ozonetech with the AC2 or AC3 controller. I did my research and lots of people say negative thing about redsea. Which Ozone Generator did you use?

Jar*Head
06/14/2007, 03:49 PM
How about Redsea 200mg deluxe with 2x250 air dryer, running off the MTC ozone reactor?

Boomer
06/14/2007, 05:37 PM
I did my research and lots of people say negative thing about redsea

I agree, see my first post :D I was just trying to make things easier for you.

How about Redsea 200mg deluxe with 2x250 air dryer, running off the MTC ozone reactor?

That was the one I thought would be OK. However, I would much rather see you with a Sanders or Ozonetech and a controller of your choice. The Ozonetech and their controller is a better unit than the Red Sea. I was just trying to save you some money :D

I used Sanders, as that was all there was in the dinosaur days :D They still make great units.

Jar*Head
06/14/2007, 08:28 PM
I thought Sanders is out of business :)

Boomer
06/14/2007, 08:32 PM
Not even :D

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS220US220&q=sanders+ozonizer

Jar*Head
06/14/2007, 09:05 PM
Boomer, check it out and let me know what you think. I know it is hella expensive. But i rather be safe than sorry

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_210&products_id=96

Dryer
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=206

And this controller
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_106_109&products_id=540

And MTC PRO240D reactor, SR7 and CAF

If this is not good enough, i will not run Ozone. I know it is a little crazy for me to spent all that money. But i want to minimize the error.

Billybeau1
06/14/2007, 11:48 PM
Reef, you don't need to spend that much.

First, forget the air dryer. PITA.

You have a lot of water volume. Get a good 200 mg/hr unit (like a Sanders) and a good controller, (Milwaukee) or similar and you should be OK. Follow all the safety recommendations with carbon and ozone safe tubing.

It'll take you a little while to get stabilized (with that volume of water) but you will get there.

I do not recommend the Red Sea Units. Sorry, been there. :D

Jar*Head
06/15/2007, 12:22 AM
I am glad i didn't buy the Redsea :). But will look into the Sanders. How hard is it to find it in U.S? So you don't recommend the Ozone reactor? I was going to injected into my BK400ext but after i read all 3 articles. I change my mind :). I thought the ozonetech air dryer is electronic, you don't have to bake it?

Billybeau1
06/15/2007, 12:49 AM
It's not that I don't recommend an ozone reactor. It's just I haven't seen one yet worth the money. That doesn,t mean there isn't one out there. Most people do just fine running it through their protein skimmer.
(In fact, in many cases, it improves the performance of the ps. ) You obviously have plenty of space so you have many options.

The electronic air dryer may very well be good, I just haven't tried it.

The thing about air dryers is it will greatly increase your ozone production. (Not so much increase, but allow your generator to produce closer to the actual volume it is rated at. On a humid day, ozone generation (without a dryer, can be cut in half.

Just google ozonizers and you will find many selling Sanders. :)

Jar*Head
06/15/2007, 08:00 AM
Billy, i found Sanders 200Mg Ozone generator for $278. I will go for that one. I will learn a little bit more about the electronic air dryer before jump into it.

I will let you know how well it work :)

Billybeau1
06/15/2007, 12:15 PM
Alrighty then. Don't forget to run the exiting water through or over carbon so no ozone gets back to the tank. I cooked a fishes gills once from trying to go too fast too quick.

Did you decide on a controller yet ?

Jar*Head
06/15/2007, 12:38 PM
Hello Billy, I'm going with the Pintpoint controller and labgrade probe. The MTC ozone reactor come with the SR7 which the carbon chamber for the effluent and the CAF is the Carbon air filter. I will start at 50mg first and work my way up. What should set my ORP on? 350 or lower?

Billybeau1
06/15/2007, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I would set it between 375mv and 400mv

I have mine set at 390mv. :)

Jar*Head
06/15/2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks billy, I'll let you know if my tank crashed. Will the Ozone kill my macro algea?

Boomer
06/15/2007, 03:48 PM
Reef

No it will not kill your algae or much of anything the output and contact time is not high or long enough.

As far as the MTC and the OzoneTech and their electronic dryer the is the pretty much the Rolls Royce of the hobby. Yes, you will pay for it.

As far as Billy's suggestion, that is what I was driving at, going with the Sanders and maybe a PinPoint controller or maybe the all in one Red Sea. It wont' hurt the pocket book so much. If you have money to burn well then.............:D

You can make your on nonelectric air dryer. Just get some PVC pipe and some snap on end caps. Drill two holes, one in the center of each end for the input and output. To these two holes clue in two short small diameter tubes (rigid undergravel air tube works great) that will fit the air line from the dryer to the ozone unit and the other from the dryer to the air pump. Put some floss in one end cap and snap it on. Fill with dryer material /media to within 1 in or so of the end. Add another piece of floss to the last inch of the PVC tube with enough to also fill the other end cap and snap it on. You can make this thing as big as you want.

Jar*Head
06/15/2007, 04:33 PM
Do i have to recharge the air dryer every once in a while? Thank you for the advice Boomer and Billy. I am working on the fund now. One it available, i will make all the purchase and will keep you all update. I found 1 place in California selling the Sanders 200mg for a good deal.

reefkeeper2
06/15/2007, 07:10 PM
I used to use ozone years ago. I remember how everyone talked about ORP continuously and the debates about what value was best. I fussed with probes, controllers and air dryers. To tell you the truth, I never noticed anything benificial with its use in my tank. I stopped using it.
I started looking into it again just recently as I thought maybe it could help me with a cyano problem. My thoughts were that maybe the ozone could lower the organics in the water better than my skimmer and chemical filtration could alone. However
after reading Randys articles on the subject I can see that this is probably not the case. It cleared up some yellowing of his water but thats about it. I know ozone is proven benificial in large commercial applications, but does anyone have any evidence that shows its worth in our aquariums?

Billybeau1
06/16/2007, 12:01 AM
Yes, I do , but you seem to have already made up your mind. :)

Jar*Head
06/16/2007, 01:07 AM
Many people claimed Zeovit don't work but some have very good result. That is one of the reason why i don't want to do anything iffy

menta
06/16/2007, 05:44 AM
I have started using a Beyok ozonizer (200mg) a few days ago.
http://www.beyok.com/english/Product_Show.asp?ID=2
Using a Weipro 2310 (ORP+PH) controller.

It's amazing, After 1 day (Started from 270 ORP to 300 ORP) the water are so clear, the Corals has never looked better.

I connected it to stright to my AquaMedic Trubo1000 Skimmer, although I know some people that just use it with the AirStone it comes with and put it into their sump.
AMAZING tool !

Jar*Head
06/16/2007, 09:37 AM
I think every piece of equipments out there works and may work very well. Just depend on how you use it

reefkeeper2
06/16/2007, 05:27 PM
Common Billybeau1, convince me.

Billybeau1
06/16/2007, 10:58 PM
If you search ozone threads, I think you'll find most new users are absolutely thrilled with the results. The equipment has gotten cheaper over the last few years and more and more reefers are using it.

Jar*Head
06/17/2007, 12:44 AM
This guy just start Ozone couple months ago. His tank is thriving with crazy color

Here is the link to his website, since you want proof. Here ya go
http://www.reeftecdesigns.com/

Boomer
06/17/2007, 11:15 AM
[b]Do i have to recharge the air dryer every once in a while? [b/]

Yes. You can get some color indicator beads. Once they turn color you just put all the media in the oven and bake it till the color beads are back to normal and the media is thus recharged. You can do this 2-3 times then can it and add new stuff.

SEAREEF
06/17/2007, 01:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10157454#post10157454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
This guy just start Ozone couple months ago. His tank is thriving with crazy color

Here is the link to his website, since you want proof. Here ya go
http://www.reeftecdesigns.com/

Steve WRONG I have been using ozone for years not months ,and like I already told you ozone has nothing to do with why my corals colors pop .... like I said my orp always is above 410 so my ozone doesnt even turn on unless I do a large water change ............... I contribute that to my sterlizer ...which I feel kicks butt over the ozone.... with or without a sterlizer and ozone you can acheve the same colors. 1 word my friend patience ......... and love your corals

SEAREEF
06/17/2007, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10158913#post10158913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
[b]Do i have to recharge the air dryer every once in a while? [b/]

Yes. You can get some color indicator beads. Once they turn color you just put all the media in the oven and bake it till the color beads are back to normal and the media is thus recharged. You can do this 2-3 times then can it and add new stuff.

ozonizers that have to rely on air dryers suck get a ozonizer that dosent rely on a air dryer ,,much less of a pain in the a** I live by the beach so
I hate changeing out those dryers every other day

Boomer
06/17/2007, 04:58 PM
Sorry but I do not like ozonizer that run on UV bulbs and DO NOT have a dial to set them buy. Yes, I know some use them. In some cases and for some reasons like yours they may be a better choice.

SEAREEF
06/17/2007, 05:31 PM
the thing is this ,I have tryed using a dryer and was constantly mantaning the dryer to the point where it wore me out ,I dont know if living close to the beach matters but without using a dryer they say you lose 50 % efficently on some ..with that being said ill keep mine ,it has a hi low switch on it and when ran properly with a proper controller i like it

Boomer
06/17/2007, 06:17 PM
I understand what you mean. For the same reason some do not even use air dryers even in Corona discharge units, like the Sanders or Ozonetech and just get bigger units to compensate for the humidity. But I don't like doing that for first time users, same with the UV type.

Jar*Head
06/17/2007, 10:09 PM
Hello Boomer, i will not run it without the dryer either. I either spend more for the electronic or the media kind. But i will run some kind of dryer. Thank you for the great advice.......

Boomer
06/18/2007, 08:26 AM
:thumbsup:

Jar*Head
06/19/2007, 12:25 AM
was gonna buy the complete setup this weekend. But the city of westminster just got all my money :(

menta
06/19/2007, 12:52 AM
I heard that new Ozonizers do not need air dryer.

Jar*Head
06/19/2007, 07:53 AM
I'm running the dryer just to stay on the save side. As a matter of fact, i will use 2x250 hahahaha.

menta
06/19/2007, 08:06 AM
Nice cube you got there REEFER714

Boomer
06/19/2007, 08:46 AM
I heard that new Ozonizers do not need air dryer.

Only UV bulb ozonizers do not need an air dryer.

sditch
06/19/2007, 09:40 AM
I have a Ozotech 200mg and works great with my PM Venturi style skimmer. The light penetration and clarity was the most noticable improvments I seen.

It also does not run that much once it cleans up the place it seems, I also got a air flow meter and DI Dryer (I would get the electronic dryer if you can) that makes tunning the skimmer very easy.

Nice results so far.......

P.S. I ran the unit without the dryer and it worked fine for a while, but Ozotech told me it could create some unwanted toxins on the corona if to much moister got to it so I planned on getting some dryer latter on.

Boomer
06/19/2007, 10:08 AM
unwanted toxins

Yes, Nitric acid

Jar*Head
06/19/2007, 10:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10170422#post10170422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by menta
Nice cube you got there REEFER714

Thanks Menta. I try to make it better.

Boomer, thanks for the great info.... I have learn a lot from this post.

Boomer
06/19/2007, 10:41 AM
:thumbsup:

Jar*Head
06/19/2007, 10:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10170977#post10170977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sditch
I have a Ozotech 200mg and works great with my PM Venturi style skimmer. The light penetration and clarity was the most noticable improvments I seen.

It also does not run that much once it cleans up the place it seems, I also got a air flow meter and DI Dryer (I would get the electronic dryer if you can) that makes tunning the skimmer very easy.

Nice results so far.......

P.S. I ran the unit without the dryer and it worked fine for a while, but Ozotech told me it could create some unwanted toxins on the corona if to much moister got to it so I planned on getting some dryer latter on.

Thanks for the info. I am saving up for the 200Mg OzoneTech, Electronic air Dryer, MTC PRO240 ozone reactor, CAF (carbon air filter) and SF7 which is the carbon filter for the effluent. As for the OPR controller, i will go with either american pintpoint or Milwauke (Pintpoint more than likely ) i am not going to run it off my skimmer cuz it will cost a lot to replace my RD pump if something go wrong or the Ozone did some damage to the pump

sditch
06/19/2007, 02:41 PM
You must have been reading up, that is a good measure to ensure if you use your skimmer with ozone that the air injection occurs after the pump rather then before :)

I just got off the phone with Ozotech and the tech guy there said that you can run the unit without a dryer but it could cause nitric acid (Not sure about the spelling) to build up and my get into your tank if gravity would allow. In my cause the generater is below the feed line so no worries there.

Good luck......

Jar*Head
06/19/2007, 03:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10172871#post10172871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sditch
You must have been reading up, that is a good measure to ensure if you use your skimmer with ozone that the air injection occurs after the pump rather then before :)

I just got off the phone with Ozotech and the tech guy there said that you can run the unit without a dryer but it could cause nitric acid (Not sure about the spelling) to build up and my get into your tank if gravity would allow. In my cause the generater is below the feed line so no worries there.

Good luck......

I know the electronic air dryer will cost a bit $$$. but i would like to keep it safe

Boomer
06/20/2007, 10:07 AM
electronic air dryer .........i would like to keep it safe

I like it when someone takes the plunge and goes all the way :thumbsup:

Boomer
06/20/2007, 10:16 AM
a dryer but it could cause nitric acid

As I said in my other post it is nitric acid. The ozone reacts with moisture and nitrogen gas in the ambient air producing nitric acid. If it makes it to the tank it just gets converted to Nitrate. It is really not an issue for the tank but the acid can damage internal parts of the ozonizer. If one used any metal fittings in the air line to the reactor/skimmer it will eat them up.

Jar*Head
06/20/2007, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10178190#post10178190 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
electronic air dryer .........i would like to keep it safe

I like it when someone takes the plunge and goes all the way :thumbsup:

hehehehe, thanks Boomer. I just want to be safe and make sure my equipments last longer, effective, and keep my live stock healhty. Uncle Sam didn't pay me much but i can cut down on beer money, lunch money and may be sell a few frags, no more fancy dinner on saturday night :)

I like top notch equipments. :D :D

Boomer
06/20/2007, 11:43 AM
OK and one final note :D

You are you are buying Ozotech and NOT a Ozonetech which is another beast and even more expensive :D

http://www.ozotech.com/

http://www.ozonetech.com/

Jar*Head
06/20/2007, 12:02 PM
Yes sir, Ozotech. Ozonetech made in sweden, too far, too expensive. If something go wrong with the shipment or the generator i don't want to sit here and waiting, and waiting for the replacement. I don't want to call sweden to argue about the product or asking for help. Esp, i don't know which language they will be speaking. I can barely speak english :)

Jar*Head
06/20/2007, 10:25 PM
Boomer, what will happen if i just run 25% of the recommended amount?

Boomer
06/20/2007, 10:32 PM
You mean 25 % of the .3-.5 mg /gal ? If that is it, it depends on the tank. It may help, it may do little or nothing. Knowing the OPR of the tank without ozone would help some.

Jar*Head
06/20/2007, 11:00 PM
so when i get the setup where should i start? full blow or ...... ?

Billybeau1
06/20/2007, 11:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10183065#post10183065 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
Knowing the OPR of the tank without ozone would help some.

There you go again with the fingers. ORP, not OPR :lol:

Time for a new keyboard Boomer :D

Billybeau1
06/20/2007, 11:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10183208#post10183208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
so when i get the setup where should i start? full blow or ...... ?

I would start at the lowest recommended and work up from there.

When I started ozone in my tank, it took me a whole month to get it dialed in. And I cooked a fish in the process. Better to take your time and feel out your new equipment IMO.

Jar*Head
06/20/2007, 11:10 PM
ahhhh, now i know why the more i ask question the more i get confuse hehehehe. J/K.....

Jar*Head
06/20/2007, 11:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10183258#post10183258 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I would start at the lowest recommended and work up from there.

When I started ozone in my tank, it took me a whole month to get it dialed in. And I cooked a fish in the process. Better to take your time and feel out your new equipment IMO.

Cooked a fish? ouch..... I can cook corals all day long without any problem but if i cook a fish, my wife gonna kick my behind :eek:

Jar*Head
06/22/2007, 12:38 AM
Boomer, Billy, look at what i just bought.

SR14 not SR7:)
http://home.nc.rr.com/wlagarde/MTC%20SR-14.JPG

MTC Ozone reactor with CAF
http://home.nc.rr.com/wlagarde/MTC%20Pro240D.JPG

it also came with the ozone generator. But i am not going to use it. i will buy Ozotech :) and the air dryer

Boomer
06/22/2007, 07:52 AM
atah boy.:D

I see it is an Enaly ozone unit. I refer to these as e-bay ozonizer, made in China and that model is no longer made. They do make some nice large cheap units like OZX-400U. You know they are pretty cheap when they give them away with a reactor :D

Jar*Head
06/22/2007, 08:05 AM
hahaha Boomer, i am not going to use that unit. For something that powerful and cost only $109. That is too good to be truth. I am still going with the Ozotech generator and air dryer. Just slowly getting stuff in. I got the complete setup of that MTC reactor for a pretty good deal. $365 shipped isn't too bad. Consider the reactor alone already cost $380 brand new.

Boomer, i look at the Diagram show in MTC website of how the setup suppose to be. There is an airline going back to the sump. Where that airline suppose to be?

It went from the reactor through CAF and to the sump but i don't know what im suppose to do with it. (not feeding to the skimmer right?)

Jar*Head
06/22/2007, 08:08 AM
This is what i call safe :). I will pick up the OPR (per Boomer) controller sometime this week and get it hook up in my system first so i don't have to wait for two week for it to adjust itself. What do you think?

Boomer
06/22/2007, 08:40 AM
That is the "burp" line that controls the water level in the reactor. It just hangs in the sump so water / air from it can drip from it. Do not put it under water. Isn't there a manual with this reactor ?

OPR (per Boomer) Nah that is suppose to be ORP

Jar*Head
06/22/2007, 08:54 AM
Just bought the thing lastnight. he has to ship it from NC to CA. I don't know if it come with any instruction manual.... I know the Ozone generator has the instruction manual tho. How high is the water level should i maintain..... :)

Boomer
06/22/2007, 09:09 AM
Double post

But, Ok I thought those where your pics

Boomer
06/22/2007, 09:10 AM
It went from the reactor through CAF and to the sump

Yes, but in your pic you have the CAF hooked up to the ozone inlet. That CAF ties into the lower outlet airline on the lower right side of the reactor. The lower air-line out let on the reactor is connected to the top of the CAF and another air-line is attached to the bottom of the CAF which goes to the sump. The reactor will be full of mostly air.

Once it is all hooked up you start the water pump and star to fill the reactor. When it is about half full you turn on the air pump so there is now air/ozone going to the reactor. The air pressure will start to pressurize the reactor pushing the water out of the bottom outlet of the reactor sending it to the SR14. You must then start to cut back on the air as the water goes down in the reactor. When the air is at the right setting the water level in then reactor will be right where that air outlet line is. However, you will want aah-wee- tad of more than enough air so the water level still goes down but at a really slow rate buy using a needle value. When the water levels gets to that air outlet it will burp out some air. The reactor will loose some pressure and the water will rise above that line. As the pressure now rebuilds itself inside the reactor the the water level will go down again and burp out some more sir. And this will be a continuous cycle which automatically controls the water level in the reactor.

Jar*Head
06/22/2007, 09:18 AM
Wow, Boomer Thank you for the explaination. Im looking forward to see the whole thing in action. Which airpump do you recommended? I should be able to get everything and have it up/running by mid Jul (is it too long?)

Boomer
06/22/2007, 10:02 AM
Find an air pump with a dial setting on it to help control the air output. That plus a needle valve will allow you to fine tune the air so it "burps" less. We use to use Tetra Luft Air Pumps.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10427/product.web

A needle valve something like this. Make sure you get the right size and end fittings to fit the air line hose. You will want barb fittings on both ends. You put it after the air pump and before the ozonizer. Since it is before the ozonizer it can be plastic or metal.

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

Jar*Head
06/22/2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks boomer, i will place the order on the airpump tonight.

steve the plumb
06/22/2007, 05:10 PM
I would like pics of the setup when you are done.I also might get a ozone unit.I was thinking ozotech brand.I would like to see the set up.I also looked at the reactor but I wasn't sure how good they are,I would rather run it threw a reactor then a skimmer

Jar*Head
06/22/2007, 10:44 PM
Steve, the reactor made out of 1\4" cast acrylic tubing. the base is 1\2" . MTC is one of the best company build Ca reactor, Protein skimmer and reactor. Ozotech is what i want to get along with the electronic air dryer. I am not going to run it off my skimmer cuz i dont want to damage my RD pump

Boomer
06/23/2007, 12:45 AM
That will be a first I think, skimmer to O3 reactor ;)

reefkeeper2
06/23/2007, 02:05 PM
Why would ozone damage a RD pump? Are there rubber seals on it? I was under the impression they are practically indestructible.

Jar*Head
06/23/2007, 11:51 PM
Nothing is indestructible. Even the M1 abram.

steve the plumb
06/24/2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks I am still waiting for my new tank to arrive.The equipment will be bought slowly but I was considering ozone.My wifes cousin swears by it.He noticed a differance in his 100 gal when using ozone.Is the electronic dryer any good.I am curious to see how it works.Does it go on by itself?Do you just push a button and it drys beads inside the unit or I am thinking its always on and the unit drys the air before it goes in th the ozone unit or after the unit.I am not sure but it looks like its less of a hassle then having to bake the beads.You could always buy 2 or 3 beads(unit) that way bake 2 at a time you will always have 1 handy

jmbecker
06/24/2007, 11:43 AM
how do you clean the probe

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 01:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10204588#post10204588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve the plumb
Thanks I am still waiting for my new tank to arrive.The equipment will be bought slowly but I was considering ozone.My wifes cousin swears by it.He noticed a differance in his 100 gal when using ozone.Is the electronic dryer any good.I am curious to see how it works.Does it go on by itself?Do you just push a button and it drys beads inside the unit or I am thinking its always on and the unit drys the air before it goes in th the ozone unit or after the unit.I am not sure but it looks like its less of a hassle then having to bake the beads.You could always buy 2 or 3 beads(unit) that way bake 2 at a time you will always have 1 handy

Hello Steve, if i understand correctly, the unit will run 24/7 produce the hot air to dry the beads. I may be wrong. I will give more info on the Electronic air dryer one i have it up and running.

JMbecker, which probe are you talking about? the ORP? There is cleaning solution for it.

steve the plumb
06/24/2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks I didn't know how the unit worked.If it had the beads inside or if it was like a dryer warming up the air inside the unit as the ozone passes threw it.If it does run hot 24/7 wouldn't it use up alot of electricity?Maybe it has some kind of sensor that tests for humidity and heats up the beads when required.It can also run once a day or once a week maybe who knows.I am curious to see how this works because there isn't much info on the the web site

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 06:21 PM
I spoke to their tech last week but forgot to ask how often they run. But they said there is a beads inside. They may have the sensor to measure the humidity....

acropora nut
06/24/2007, 06:45 PM
I use it and I love it................Mike

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/hjustice1/033.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/hjustice1/097_r1.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/hjustice1/086-1.jpg:rollface:

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 08:59 PM
Hello Mike, thanks for sharing. Your tank look gorgeous. the water look so clear it turned blue :)

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 09:06 PM
Mike, i notice you have 4 tunz 6200. Have you ever thought about cutting the screen for more flow and less restriction?

Like this
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/New%20pic/rightside.jpg

acropora nut
06/24/2007, 09:32 PM
What about your snail's and small fish....Mike

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 09:41 PM
Never have problem with it. I have lots of small fish but not of them get suck into the pump.

acropora nut
06/24/2007, 09:49 PM
Is the performance of the pump that much better with the mod's ?

Mike

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 11:27 PM
I don't know how much better but i sure do like it cuz it doesn't get clogged up by algea or stuff build up after awhile. Have you ever notice your pump getting weaker after couple months without cleaning the screen? You may not have algea due to the Ozone keeping the water clean.

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 11:27 PM
BTW, don't cut the X on the nozzle.

KenStanley
06/25/2007, 06:59 AM
I also use the wave box (without the extension) and 2- 6100 Tunze pumps and even with the guard in place I once had a small snail get into the wave box cause the alarm to go off, so I don't think I'll be taking the guard off any time soon. I haven't really seen too much algae growth so far. Maybe my ozone plays a roll there too.

By the way.............. NICE TANK MIKE

acropora nut
06/25/2007, 03:58 PM
Thank you KenStanley for your comment.....Mike And I get no algae in my tank....

Jar*Head
06/25/2007, 04:01 PM
Well, that is what im looking forward to. Just ordered the 260mg/h Ozotech Generator and the electronic air dryer. My MTC Ozone reactor is on the way.....

steve the plumb
06/25/2007, 04:18 PM
It will be nice to see when set up.Like I said right now I have no tank but I ordered a 96x30x24 so I am looking to set up with UV and run ozone aswell.I want to get my lights also before I setup I want the tank to run to get the bugs out before adding any fish,this way I won't lose any live stock.I also want to see how warm the water will get since its summer and warm thats when my MH gave me heat issues in the past.

Jar*Head
06/25/2007, 04:27 PM
So you are going to do both U.V and Ozone? "that is hardcore" I have two 57w with all brand new part, i was going to run it in my system but @ .36cents per Kw 24/7. I rather spent a little bit of $$$ up front for the ozone but save $$$ later.

Steve, I will keep you update on the Ozone setup. I already place an order for the Ozone and electronic air dryer. My reactor setup also inroute......

Wish me luck guys.... I will do it as slow as i possibly can. Consider i just add the Interuptus angel in my system. Let not kill that one :(

Billybeau1
06/25/2007, 11:26 PM
Just make sure you have carbon protecting all of the output water and there will be nothing to worry about.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

P.S. I too use both ozone and uv. :D

Jar*Head
06/26/2007, 08:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10215896#post10215896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Just make sure you have carbon protecting all of the output water and there will be nothing to worry about.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

P.S. I too use both ozone and uv. :D

That is too hardcore for me Billy :D . Aren't they serving the same purpose? I just can't do U.V cuz of the electricity cost over here in Southern Cal (.36C/Kw). I will start another thread one i have everything in hand.

steve the plumb
06/26/2007, 08:26 AM
power isn't cheap here either.I had the coralife UV unit so I might aswell use it.I may have to get another unit I will have to check since my last system was about 180 gal and I have the middle (coralife unit) model and I forget how many gal in can do.My new system will be at least 400 gal so I doubt the coralife unit will hack it.I just took a look its good up to 250 gal so I will need another one.More money

Jar*Head
06/26/2007, 09:06 AM
Anything that Reef related are expensive. But it helps relaxing.... I rather spend my money on reef then psychologist :)

moumda
06/26/2007, 09:49 AM
LOL!
Well said!

Jar*Head
06/28/2007, 08:16 AM
Good morning gents, according to Fedex tracking info. My MTC ozone reactor and the rest of it component will arrive today :)

Serioussnaps
06/28/2007, 11:03 AM
Reefer....just curious about something in the original post to start the thread.......get 5-10% of what?

Jar*Head
06/28/2007, 11:31 AM
Hello Serioussnapt, i was talking about 5-10% improvement of the water quality, corals coloration and health of the animals