PDA

View Full Version : SELCON: is this vitamin supplement worth it?

sjfishguy
06/13/2007, 11:41 AM
Lets here some opinions. I may buy it for Bangaii Cardinal fry but do people use it on a regular basis for full grown fish? Most of the breeding guys use it for their fry, but I don't really here of other people using it. Is it a good product or just another gimmick type thing. Thanks.

kfowler
06/13/2007, 11:47 AM
Too early to tell for me. I started using it about three weeks ago on my Mandarin since the majority of his food comes from mysis. I wanted to add something. So far so good but it's too early to tell.

reverendmaynard
06/13/2007, 11:48 AM
All the "experts" I've seen do recommend it. I soak my flake food in it before mixing with tank water and placing in the tank. I also soak the mysis for my seahorses in it.

Is it doing anything? I can't really say. My fish and seahorses are doing good, but does it have anything to do with the selcon?

frederickk
06/14/2007, 03:12 PM
I use selcon as well and it's hard to say if it make a difference

Bebo77
06/14/2007, 03:15 PM
i have used vitachem since day one and all my fish are healthy and fat...

reverendmaynard
06/14/2007, 03:19 PM
I actually use both. They are completely different supplements, not just different brands of the same thing.

Vitachem is vitamins, kinda like a Centrum or One-A-Day.

Selcon has a couple of vitamins, but also contains HUFAs and marine lipids. More like a protein shake.

kevin2000
06/14/2007, 03:39 PM
I use Selcon ... a little goes a long way and one bottle last a LONG time when your only using one or two drops per feeding.

The Cardinal
06/15/2007, 12:22 AM
A great enricher that lasts a looong time. Especially in fish breeding I notice a big difference.

Tang Salad
06/15/2007, 05:54 AM
I use it also, although only occasionally. I use it to reconstitute freeze-dried Cyclopeeze.

I do wonder if they're are any studies that have looked at its usefulness.

Pea-brain
06/15/2007, 05:54 AM
I use it. I soak my frozen foods in it before I feed it to my mantises. One had a shell disease when I got it so I fed it regularly and it molted pretty fast. Every once in a while I just add a drop staight to the tank to help my filter feeders too. Don't know if thats doing anything, but everything perks up a bit when I do.

lecher
06/15/2007, 06:43 AM
I rotate soaking my frozen foods in Selcon, Vitachem and liquid infant multi-vitamins. Everyone is doing great. Who knows if it really makes a difference or not?

Snook65
06/15/2007, 04:14 PM
I usually put 6-8 drops in with my fish food while it it thawing out in a cup.

Salamander
06/15/2007, 04:44 PM
I use it and Vitachem in my homemade frozen food recipe. Occasionaly I put a few straight squirts into the tank.

sjfishguy
06/16/2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies. So it sounds like know on can say if it really does anything. I have been feeding only mysis for years and my fish are healthy, so I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. I know that bottle will last forever and is only$10, but why waste the time and money if it really doesnt do anything. Keep the opinions coming though, thanks!

rf
06/16/2007, 02:28 PM
I soak flakes once a week. I started using it after my Kole Tang died from HLLE. The selcon has seemed to boost activity with my fish. Recently, my yellow tang seemed stressed and his dorsal fin was detereorating but after a few feeding with Selcon Soaked food, it is back on the path to recovery and almost healed. I highly recommend Selcon.

reefkoi
06/16/2007, 02:40 PM
I was told by a reef food expert that since I mainly feed p.e. brand mysis shrimp that I should always soak them in something like selcon since freshwater shrimp lack things that marine fish need, like beta something or other and omega somethings, anyway it made sense to me.

uscharalph
06/16/2007, 03:11 PM
Garlic is good.

AquaReeferMan
06/16/2007, 06:03 PM
I soak all my foods in garlic extreme and selcon. I have noticed my fish bulked up since I started soaking with selcon though.

Roy G. Biv
06/16/2007, 06:08 PM
I know a guy that drops a multivitamin in his sump once in a while. He says Vitamin A is Vitamin A no matter where it comes from.

stanlalee
06/16/2007, 07:02 PM
I use zoecon but I still cant really tell how this how much different it is from selcon and if I should switch. The label says its marine lipids with vitamins. anybody know if one is better than the other?

Saltcreep1
06/16/2007, 07:23 PM
Crappy thing is...... there is no way to tell how well this stuff works and what is better than the other.

What you really need is someone like a clown breeder who has several tanks of fry to treat each tank with a different suplement and measure growth and mortality rates.

That's really the only way I think you can get any meaningful information.

vessxpress1
06/16/2007, 09:00 PM
I just bought my second bottle of Selcon. I don't use it at every feeding. I really don't think it's necessary for every feeding.

I usually only soak frozen mysis shrimp in it. I thaw it out, drain the water completely from the cup, then add a few drops of the selcon to the shrimp. Let it soak for a while, then I'll add in some freeze-dried cyclopeeze. Mix it up and in the tank it goes. The fish love it and they are healthy. But I feed that particular mixture only once or twice a week. I don't dose it daily.

I don't have lab results on my fish but I'll say it's worth it. For 10 bucks, it lasts me a year. May look into getting some of that vitachem too.