PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing (house) experts or smart reefers! Help please

GuOD
06/13/2007, 01:39 PM
I have to drain my 120g tank. It's in the basement very far from any drain. EXCEPT there is a drain in my furnance room nearby (I can see water moving in the bottom). I believe it's a sewage drain or something... maybe called a "backup drain". We don't think we can siphon it into this drain (does anyone know if it's viable?)

Anyone have any other ideas? The tank is on the floor so siphoning is hard. Carrying 120g will take me lotsa trips.

Shnabbles
06/13/2007, 02:02 PM
Do you have a sump pump you can drain it into using a hose?

Uncle Boo
06/13/2007, 02:04 PM
I have a small submersible pump that a garden hose screws into that I use around my pool. Something like that would be able to pump the water outside if you have a window you can hang the hose out of.

DSKinchen
06/13/2007, 02:49 PM
If may be OK to use the drain. It's either hooked up to a drainfield for moving water away from your house or to a sewer. Hard to say without knowing your house and community's waste water system. I'd siphon/pump into the drain and watch it closely for back up. It may be that you can drain full open, or restrict the flow to match the drains' handling capacity. My educated guess is that you'll be fine to use it without a problem. Good luck!