PDA

View Full Version : Foxface vs Lawnmover blenny

Nerun
06/13/2007, 01:40 PM
My foxface just recently got sucked into a powerhead (a stupid seio which im replacing with a tunze nano).

So im looking for a replacement algae eater and i was considering a lawnmower blenny.

Ive heard that the blennys are pretty tough (i have a cocky cherub angel) and have a great personality.

My question is who is a better algae eater the foxface or the blenny?

I know the foxface's personality but how is the blenny's?

Also, do all blennys have similiar personalities or do they tend to differ from species to species?

any input would be appreciated......

650-IS350
06/13/2007, 01:50 PM
I loved my 5" LMB till I replaced my seios with Hydors.
He got so used to jumping in the seios when I turned them off during feeding... He would climb inside the PH and clean off the algae.... probly wasn't used to the new ph's and decided to jump in while on. Now I'm looking for a new blenny. They have great personality and will quickly become your favorite.. Mine wasn't affraid and would sometimes rest of my hands or on a rock that I'm trying to work on. Never bothers any fish except for terriortorial fish.

Triggerfish
06/13/2007, 02:03 PM
what type of algae?

tcmfish
06/13/2007, 02:05 PM
I think the blenny is so much cooler than the foxface after having both. Just my opinion tho. For being such a drab fish they really make up for it with personality plus they are always leaving little kiss marks around the tank where they have been eating algae. As for your angel beating it up I don't know what to tell ya there its kinda iffy.

Nerun
06/13/2007, 02:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10135664#post10135664 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Triggerfish
what type of algae?

hair algae, i mean its not out of control or anything i just like having a fish that will nip at it a little.

Nerun
06/13/2007, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10135580#post10135580 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
I loved my 5" LMB till I replaced my seios with Hydors.
He got so used to jumping in the seios when I turned them off during feeding... He would climb inside the PH and clean off the algae.... probly wasn't used to the new ph's and decided to jump in while on. Now I'm looking for a new blenny. They have great personality and will quickly become your favorite.. Mine wasn't affraid and would sometimes rest of my hands or on a rock that I'm trying to work on. Never bothers any fish except for terriortorial fish.

hmmm, so the hydors will suck things into them too? i was hoping that the way it was designed it would not be a deathtrap like my seio has been.

Nerun
06/13/2007, 02:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10135937#post10135937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nerun
hair algae, i mean its not out of control or anything i just like having a fish that will nip at it a little.

but i do have a few patches of algae that is sorta grassy tho.

will he eat that grassy algae like the foxface did?

or is he more of a "kissy" fish" like my cherub angel (he really doesnt eat algae, he just sorta likes to "kiss" spots here and there)

pinkie
06/13/2007, 03:33 PM
One thing to consider with Lawnmower Blennies is that with age they tend to stop eating algae and become rather aggressive.

The best algae control is reduced lighting and reducing the amount of food waste in the tank. But as far as fish go, either one is a good choice, in my opinion it depends more on your tank inhabitants and long term expectations. If you want to be sure it won't be aggressive and it will continue to eat algae, my money is on the foxface.

650-IS350
06/13/2007, 10:14 PM
Not mine.. he was fat like a blimp at almost 5".. and Kept eating... all types of algae, even HA'.

Mine was NEVER agressive, but defended himself when a bigger goby tries to attak it.

most blennies like bicolors, black and such ARE aggressive. NOT LMB's.

clayspst
06/13/2007, 10:18 PM
i have a LMB and two Hydor 4's i haven't lost a fish to the hydors

edwing206
06/13/2007, 11:32 PM
My uncle used to have a LMB and he was crazy! He attacked his small trigger.

Jutta
06/14/2007, 12:02 AM
I love my LMB, he is best buddy with my blue star fish (always sits on him) and he has the most beautiful long eye lashes (looks like eye lashes any way).
Not agressive at all